Power Converters
Feb 14, 2004 at 7:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Ticky

1000+ Head-Fier
A question for the Electric Engineers/techies:

Are there power transformers that would switch between the various voltages? I'm not talking about walwarts, but transformers that would take regular power plugs. I have some electronics (stereo equipments) that take 110v (US) that I'm either thinking of selling or taking back home to Asia (220v) with me. I would prefer to take some my stuff back if I can get a reasonably small power transformer for em.

I know that Audiocube sells transformers for Japanese products (100v) to be used overseas (220 or 110v). they are reasonably cheap and lightweight. Just wondering if there are similar transformers for US products.

Thanks in advance.....
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 15, 2004 at 1:29 AM Post #2 of 17
There are, and I bought one at fry's for my stay in Greece. I forget allllllll the details, but I just wanted to say that it could be done and that fry's is one place that has these items.

Feb 15, 2004 at 1:40 AM Post #3 of 17
Actually, upon further research I stumbled onto these transformers on the net too.

My next question is whether such things are reliable for the purposes of hi-fi equipements. Also, it wouldn't degrade the sound quality would it??

I've found this site that sells em...
http://www.minute-man.com/acatalog/O...ord___181.html

Any good?

(Yes I was an arts & science major.... I only know how to enjoy my electronics and am quite stupid when it comes to the more technical aspects).
redface.gif

Feb 15, 2004 at 1:53 AM Post #4 of 17
this something i've been wondering about also. are there any 'audiophile grade' power transformers?

Feb 15, 2004 at 2:00 AM Post #5 of 17
That's somethign I wouldn't know about
frown.gif
I have no real experience with high end electronics and have never heard "dynamics" limiting power equipment. Not that I really doubt they exist...I used my power transformer for my laptop and printer.

Feb 15, 2004 at 2:03 AM Post #6 of 17
Phew for a moment there I thought I'm the only freak who has to worry about these things. Life is a b**ch when you move around so much.

Here's something mentioned on a site that sells these transformers:

North American 110-120 volt electricity is generated at 60 Hz. (Cycles) Alternating Current. Most foreign 220-240 volt electricity is generated at 50 Hz. (Cycles) Alternating Current. This difference in cycles may cause the motor in your 60 Hz. North American appliance to operate slightly slower when used on 50 Hz. foreign electricity. This cycle difference will also cause analog clocks and timing circuits that use Alternating Current as a timing base to keep incorrect time. Most modern electronic equipment including battery chargers, computers, printers, stereos, tape and CD players, VCR/DVD players, etc. will not be affected by the difference in cycles.

IMPORTANT: Voltage converters and transformers do not convert cycles.

Here's the link to the entire document:
http://www.lashen.com/vendors/TRV/Default.asp

Feb 15, 2004 at 2:14 AM Post #7 of 17
More than likely your gear isn't going to care about 50hz/60hz, especially since you don't use a turntable. You're rectifying to DC.

Your link doesn't work for me, but I'll bet that if its a 220v - 110v product it'll work. If you want to do externally in a way that might give you more performance, use an isolation/balanced transformer to give you a balanced 110v from 220v. Jon Risch's DIY site.

Travel safe on your move
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 15, 2004 at 2:21 AM Post #8 of 17
Hi Ticky,
you should be able to find power transformers in your home country. in Indonesia i was able to find 'em and never had a problem with one damaging my 110v equipment. i'm not sure how good it would be for audio purposes. i'm afraid it would cause alot of noise. what i was thinking of doing, instead of buying another transformer is to bring a good 110v power strip\conditioning like the monster hts 1000 and plugging that into the trasformer.

Feb 15, 2004 at 2:30 AM Post #9 of 17
Dougbrad,

If that's a ground loop, HTS won't help.
(isolation transformer solves ground loop)

Feb 15, 2004 at 2:57 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by carlo

Your link doesn't work for me, but I'll bet that if its a 220v - 110v product it'll work. If you want to do externally in a way that might give you more performance, use an isolation/balanced transformer to give you a balanced 110v from 220v. Jon Risch's DIY site.

Travel safe on your move
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks Carlo.
smily_headphones1.gif

Funny the links works when I click on it.

Could you elaborate on what an isolation/balanced transformer is? (I think I can guess what it is). Shouldn't have slept through basic physics class....

I assume that isolation/balanced transformer are used in conjunction with a voltage transformer?

Feb 15, 2004 at 10:22 PM Post #13 of 17
Ticky,

It's as it sounds. An isolation transformer isolates whatever's connected to it from whatever else is on the wiring before the tranny. It will reduce noise and give you a proper ground. Balanced balances the voltage across ground, +/- 55v, giving you 110v. Think BPT, DIY'd, with the current limiting up to you and the transformer you select for the project.

Your component will plug into the isolation/balanced transformer, and the component's transformer will take the balanced voltage to whatever the secondary needs to be. You'd use your DIY project in place of a 220v -> 110v autoformer or whichever converter.

Feb 15, 2004 at 11:12 PM Post #14 of 17
Hi Carlo,
do you have any links to a place that already sells assembled isolation transformers?

Feb 16, 2004 at 12:28 AM Post #15 of 17

Users who are viewing this thread

Back