Power conditioners??
Mar 17, 2007 at 7:50 AM Post #16 of 29
Does the degraded dynamics apply only for power amps, or all components?

What about just plain power strips? I bought a that Monster thing more to manage power cables than for any audio reason.

Mar 19, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by J&J /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone use a powerline conditioner in a headphone listeneing system? If so can you share the results and maybe make some suggestions as to which ones improved the perfomance. I tried the Richard Gray Power Co which works well in my home theater system but not as well in my headphone system.

My experience with power conditioners has been a positive one.For my headphone set up I use a ChangLightSpeed CLS 305 power conditioner.My Rega Saturn benifited greatly when pluged into the Digital outlet and my headphone amp in the analog outlet.Just my 2 cents.

Mar 19, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #18 of 29
High-end gear just give a certain flavor to the sound, it doesn't improve the performance.

How a component sounds like is a combination of AC, EMI and vibration. The manufacturer designs a chassis with better resonance control and then boosts up the price 10 times before selling it. It's cheaper to just prevent the ground vibrations from entering the chassis in the first place.

It's the same with big power supplies, they just make the sound muddier, but they sound better when plugged into the wall.
If both components have power conditioning then the one with the smaller power supply sounds the most transparent. Usually the smaller one costs less.

It's the same with EMI. A DAC that costs less has worse shielding which reduces the bass. It's cheaper to wrap it in ERS Paper to boost up the bass instead of buy a more expensive DAC.

Some people keep upgrading their gear hoping to get better sound, but they just get a different flavor. After a few decades of side-stepping they realize they haven't got anywhere.

I have downgraded to smaller/cheaper parts myself because they sound more detailed/transparent than the colored high-end when using the same tweaks. If the cheap gear isn't using any tweaks it sounds unbearably bright, but when the external problems are fixed you hear more detail and warmth. Brightness is not a weakness, brightness is potential!

Mar 19, 2007 at 5:13 AM Post #20 of 29
I use and Adcom ACE-515. No loss in sound quality, and certainly removes any nearby electrical noise, hums, etc. I got one primarily because we were suffering from tons of brown and black outs a few years back but I still use it.

Mar 19, 2007 at 5:22 AM Post #21 of 29
If all we need is 120v@60Hz, why not consider ac source? Elgar and CA lab are two big names in ac source.

Personally, I think AVS 2000 and PS premier are overkill for headphone use. (headphone amp "usually" consume less than 300w, not 3,000w)

== side story ==
Do anyone here know direct comparsion of AVS 2000 and PS premier? Both are powere regenerator with AVS monster used at eBay for sub 600, and PS premiere used at Audigon for 1.7k. Despite the difference in physical dimensions, the only difference I know is PS premier is more efficient than AVS 2000. (PS audio claim premier has 80+ efficiency compare to AVS 2000, which I guess is much less than 50%)

Mar 19, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #22 of 29
Anyone who wants extra bass and low-level detail should try the older Power Plants that have MWave4.

Premier Power Plant doesn't have the extra bass but is more neutral. I'm using it for a system that draws less than 30 watts, excluding my computer.

Mar 20, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #23 of 29
Don't bother with this unit.

But if you are into power conditioning, this is excellent brand that is used by most everyone looking for clean power.

ONEAC CB1115 - Rated at 12amps. Should be all you need.

Link

One heavy unit.

You can buy them off ebay for $50 + $50 for shipping.

Mar 22, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #25 of 29
I use an Audio Magic product, a Transcendence prototype, on my digital gear which includes CD transport and DAC. I find that this lowers the noise floor and quiet passages are totally quiet. On the other hand I've tried a couple of Shunyatas on my pre amp and tuner and the results are either negligible or subtractive. What I did which you should consider if you can, is to use a dedicated line or lines for your stereo or stereo/ht setup. This will make a bigger difference than power conditioners

May 8, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #26 of 29
I use the Audiance Adept response ar2p-T (older model) which was originally ~$1,600 when it first came out...

From my personal listening experience, this power conditioner really makes a noticable difference in my headphone system. It provides a lower noise floor, and much much finer details are brought to life in some of my most listened to tracks...

There was one song that Ive listened to a lot through the years and it only has one singer, however it wasn't until I started using the Adept response ar2p-T when i realized that very faintly in the background there was a second voice of opposite gender singing along as well!! Needless to say, I flipped out.

Without a doubt, the biggest upgrade i've ever made to my setup (excluding new components) was adding this specific power conditioner. It made a bigger improvement over any individual power cord; inner-connect; or headphone cable upgrade I ever added to my system.

That being said, was it a justifiable ~$1,600 upgrade? Most definitely not. But I found a dealer who had a used one that he sold to me for $700 and at that price point I considered it a "steal".

I've never tried any other power conditioners, but the specific one I use DOES make a difference - and a pretty big noticable one for me. I can't use my system without it, for it feels lifeless.

On that note, I would have been just as happy had I not demo'd the ar2p-T but once I heard the difference I was mentally obligated to purchase it. So don't test it if you don't want to spend the money. (My personal Advice)

Side-Note: I use HDVA600 amp (ps audio extreme plasma cord) + Schiit Gumby Multibit DAC (ps audio ac-10 power cord) + LCD-3 (Cardas Clear Cable)

Jul 23, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #27 of 29
I have the PS Audio Duet for use with my Blu-Ray player, cable box, Zvox soundbase, and Darblet.  Not my Television; the Duet only has four outlets.

When I first set up the Zvox soundbase I had my wife come in and listen as I made (and removed) changes - she has a great ear but of course doesn't care about all the technical crap - "just put something on and let me listen."  So we listened to one of Diana Krall's songs (repeatedly) as I made the changes ($200 interconnects that I had laying around, Cryoed power cord, etc).  

Anyway, she thought (as did I) we could hear things with the Duet in place that we couldn't hear otherwise.  It's one thing to comment about more or less bass, midrange, or something else, but one of the things I use for comparison is whether or not I can hear vocals or instruments that pretty much I couldn't hear previously - before adding (or removing) something like a power conditioner.  The other is, does an instrument sound "real" one way and like it's being inadequately reproduced the other.

I'm now getting into a pretty good headphone system (under $3K - I hope! Go ahead and laugh now...) and will soon order the PS Audio Dectet conditioner (ten outlets of varying flavors) for use with my television setup - with the idea of moving the four-plug Duet into the headphone setup.

a) We thought the Duet made a difference with my middle-of-the-road Panasonic Blu-Ray player and near top of the line Zvox soundbase.
b) I may have the Dectet shipped to a prominent (and nearby) Head-Fier (with a better system than which I'm contemplating) and let him develop his opinion(s), since I've not made my acquisitions yet.
c) I'll report later when I get the Dectet installed in my system - see if television (plasma) colors are better (it's plugged now into the wall) and if the sound for music is any better or different than with the duet
d) When I get my headphone system completed, I'll probably A-B (C) test the Duet vs the Dectet (vs the wall) and report back.

Dec 13, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #28 of 29
Quote:
  I have the PS Audio Duet for use with my Blu-Ray player, cable box, Zvox soundbase, and Darblet.  Not my Television; the Duet only has four outlets.

When I first set up the Zvox soundbase I had my wife come in and listen as I made (and removed) changes - she has a great ear but of course doesn't care about all the technical crap - "just put something on and let me listen."  So we listened to one of Diana Krall's songs (repeatedly) as I made the changes ($200 interconnects that I had laying around, Cryoed power cord, etc).  

Anyway, she thought (as did I) we could hear things with the Duet in place that we couldn't hear otherwise.  It's one thing to comment about more or less bass, midrange, or something else, but one of the things I use for comparison is whether or not I can hear vocals or instruments that pretty much I couldn't hear previously - before adding (or removing) something like a power conditioner.  The other is, does an instrument sound "real" one way and like it's being inadequately reproduced the other.

I'm now getting into a pretty good headphone system (under $3K - I hope! Go ahead and laugh now...) and will soon order the PS Audio Dectet conditioner (ten outlets of varying flavors) for use with my television setup - with the idea of moving the four-plug Duet into the headphone setup.

a) We thought the Duet made a difference with my middle-of-the-road Panasonic Blu-Ray player and near top of the line Zvox soundbase.
b) I may have the Dectet shipped to a prominent (and nearby) Head-Fier (with a better system than which I'm contemplating) and let him develop his opinion(s), since I've not made my acquisitions yet.
c) I'll report later when I get the Dectet installed in my system - see if television (plasma) colors are better (it's plugged now into the wall) and if the sound for music is any better or different than with the duet
d) When I get my headphone system completed, I'll probably A-B (C) test the Duet vs the Dectet (vs the wall) and report back.

I would be interested in reading your impressions about the Dectet when you get yours. I have one on the way and it should arrive later today. I'm also replacing the stock power cords to my desktop pc and self powered desktop speakers as well as the cord to the Dectet.

I'm using a Chord Mojo for headphones and as a "preamp" to control the speaker's volume. Audio files are served up with Roon. 

Lately I have been spending more time with the speakers - Emotiva 4s on isoACHOUSTICS stands - because they throw a huge soundstage full of natural sounding details. The speakers literally disappear sonically. 

Will the Dectet and power cables make a difference? I will know in a couple of weeks. Since I live in a metropolitan area I'm sure there is lots of grunge mixed in with the power from the mains. So, I'm hoping for some positive changes. When I have time, I will come back and do a mini review on the results. 

Dec 15, 2016 at 5:24 AM Post #29 of 29
I have my Schiit Modi Multibit PS plugged into a PS Audio Ultimate Outlet [with upgraded Hubbell duplex] and the UO plugged into the Shunyata Hydra PLC. Shunyata Sidewinder PC on the Hydra and BMI Whale PC on the UO. The UO added a bit more weight, richness to the presentation but the biggest improvement IMS daisy-chaining these two PS components is the extremely low noise floor. Michael Brinkman Acme Audio 15amp silver-plated 'Cryo-treated' duplex feeds Hydra / amp.

You're able to pick up the most discrete sounds that appear out of nowhere - spooky. Admittedly, some of these discoveries were unintentional like when you can hear the bus passing outside of the church on The Trinity Sessions CD by the Cowboy Junkies. Chairs creaking, conversations between musicians, foot steps. Unreal. With my Moth Audio SET amp and Silverline Sonatina speakers much of this was in play before the acquisition of the Modi but it does take it to a higher level.

aCy6umg.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back