Power Conditioner w/more than 4 outlets?
Aug 30, 2005 at 10:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

nanahachi

Head-Fi FAQ(s) Volunteer
What's a guy to do: I have too many components and not enough outlets. I have two new amps that arrived (or will be arriving) so my current setup is now defunct and needs to be changed. Basically, I need a power conditioner with more than 4 outlets at very least to complement my current setup.

Currently
Behind my AV rack & TV stand are 2 15amp (?) outlets in the wall. I currently have the following setup:

ONEAC CP1107
Marantz PM-17 w/ PS Audio Lab PC
Melos Maestro w/ PS Audio Lab PC
Cary 306/200 w/ M.Wolff Source PC
Singlepower Supra w/M.Wolff Gain PC

Monster PC-1000
Sony Wega 32"
Pioneer 563
Sony PS2
DVR (not used atm)

NEW Additions
SimAudio W-3 power amp (not yet connected)
electrostat amp (not yet received)
PS Audio Ultimate Outlet 15a (not yet connected)
M.Wolff Gain PC (to go into Sim)
PS Audio Lab II PC (to go into Ult. Outlet)

So I think I need a power conditioner to replace one or both of my current conditioners.

How should I regroup them? and what to do with the PS Audio UO?

Conditioner 1: Amps --at least 5 or 6 outlets needed
SimAudio W-3
Marantz PM-17
Melos
Supra
electrostat amp
(open)

Conditioner 2: Other
Cary 306/200
Pioneer 563
TV
PS2

I've been keeping my eyes open on ebay and have missed a few items that would have worked. I'm still looking there and am "watching" a few at the moment.

Which conditioners would fit the bill? at what point should I move up to a PS Audio P-300 (which only has 4 outlets I think...)?

Thanks for your help!!
[size=xx-small]**serious responses only. please, no trolling.[/size]

Aug 30, 2005 at 10:48 PM Post #2 of 23
what's your budget?

you can also go for something like the PS Audio Juice Bar to increase the number of outlets you have, or maybe VH Audio's "The Hot Box."

Aug 30, 2005 at 10:51 PM Post #3 of 23
ouch, the "B" word...
tongue.gif

you know, I'm not sure what my budget is. If I must, I will save up and buy what I need to buy. But I would like to keep it as low as possible. ONEACs can be had fairly cheaply, but I don't really know the conditioner/generator world that well. PS Audio P300s aren't cheap...and PC-200s are between $350-400 on agon...

I would like something at least as "good" as my 1107, if not better, and employ the UO (or just sell it and put towards something bigger and better)

Aug 30, 2005 at 11:14 PM Post #5 of 23
Wait, your CP1107 only has 4 outlets? I didn't know there were variations on outlet numbers since my CP1107 has 8 outlets. Of course, I can't use all 8 outlets since some of my plugs are wee bit too large for the space provided.

Aug 31, 2005 at 5:46 AM Post #6 of 23
I have a Monster Power HTS-5000 which seems good. 12 Outlets I think, relays, etc. But I've recently discovered Furman and I think that's the best bet at the momment at all price points. Especially if you get the pro models. Check out some ebaystores for the best prices. My expereince is with the PST-8D.

Aug 31, 2005 at 2:47 PM Post #7 of 23
thanks guys, i will indeed look into those!

Speaking of Monster and PS Audio, is it worth looking into those component-sized units that would sit up on a shelf along with the rest of one's gear, like the Monster AVS line?

Saltpeanuts:
i may have gotten the model number wrong, it could be a CB1107 or similar, but I can't quite get to the unit to check. All i know is that it is 6.7amps with four outlets, and has 1107 in the name I have seen both 4 and 8 outlet versions of the 1107 before, too

Aug 31, 2005 at 5:33 PM Post #8 of 23
My cb-1112 oneac has 6 outlets. I beleive the 12amp powervar units also have 6 outlets.

Biggie.

Aug 31, 2005 at 5:50 PM Post #9 of 23
thanks Biggie...you and your uber ONEAC
biggrin.gif

Aug 31, 2005 at 10:20 PM Post #10 of 23
The nice thing about the PS Audio Power Director 4.7 is it uses baluns like the Ultimate Outlet which cuts the noise floor by quite a bit. I plug parallel filters into the adjacent outlet a component is plugged into for further noise/grain reduction. Each bank (3 groups of 4 plus 1 pair = 14 outlets) is isolated from each other, meaning you can separate analogue from digital. You could probably sell your UO or do what I did, and use it on your headphone rig.

Sep 1, 2005 at 12:58 AM Post #11 of 23
Thanks for the info Jeff!

that is one serious piece of gear...and sadly, way more than I can spend. I've seen some P300's on Agon for $600+/-, but even then, that only has 4 outlets and takes up a lot of space. Most likely, I will have to settle with a 6 or 8 outlet ONEAC or something similar to the PS Audio Power Director or those Monster AVS conditioners...but way cheaper.

Sep 1, 2005 at 7:02 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts
Wait, your CP1107 only has 4 outlets? I didn't know there were variations on outlet numbers since my CP1107 has 8 outlets. Of course, I can't use all 8 outlets since some of my plugs are wee bit too large for the space provided.

My 1107 does have 4 outlets. Strangely, I get some very audible hum when I try to plug in other components, so it is pretty much dedicated to my ppx3 at the moment. The silly thing is I kept looking everywhere for the source of the hum, and concluded it was the amp! It was not too long ago when I finally realized by accident the computer and the monitor were the true culprits. Kinda goes out to show the fundamental lesson - never make assumptions when troubleshooting!

I wanted to thank you again for your generosity of sending those tubes to me. Sylvania/2x RCA cleartops sound better than all other combinations I have tried so far
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 1, 2005 at 7:10 AM Post #13 of 23
An option would be to buy a used Essence Power Distributor (8 outlets) or PS Audio Juice Bar and plug that into your UO which will clean your power to your components, although you'd be putting your amps and source(s) on the same line which might not be good.

Sep 1, 2005 at 4:52 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Wong
....PS Audio Juice Bar and plug that into your UO which will clean your power to your components

Does anyone have experience with this in general?
What if I plugged all of my amps only into the Juice Bar, which then plugged into the UO? I would keep my source et al separate and plugged into the ONEAC.

I don't mind spending up to $300-400, but the solution has to last me a while...

Thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back