Power Conditioner problem?
Oct 7, 2005 at 6:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

nanahachi

Head-Fi FAQ(s) Volunteer
I've really been loving my new poweramp (SimAudio Moon W-3) in recent months because it unleashed bass and other goodness my system had never known before.

However, last night I finally got around to plugging all of my components into a recently acquired Powervar 1200 power conditioner. It is replacing my 4 outlet ONEAC 1107, with 6 outlets rated for 12 amps. Seemed like a nice improvement as it had that higher rating and had room for 2 extra components.

After struggling to get everything all plugged in, I fired up my rig and I feel like the magic has somewhat evaporated, esp the bass. The ONLY change in my system was moving from the small ONEAC 1107 (less than 1/2 the physical size of the Powevar) to the monstrous Powervar 1200. Could the new PC really be limiting the sound? I guess I am not shocked...but am disappointed.

Any thoughts?

To sum up my rig's connection to the Powervar:
SimAudio W-3 -- Wolff Carbon-Ribbon Gain cord -- PS Audio Ultimate Outlet -- PS Audio Lab II -- Powervar
Marantz PM-17 (acting as my Pre) -- Wolff Carbon-Ribbon Gain cord -- Powervar
Cary 306-200 -- Wolff Carbon-Ribbon Source cord -- Powervar
Singlepower Supra -- PS Audio Lab I cord -- Powervar

**EDIT:
I should also mention that I am planning on switching out the Monster PC1000 that is using the other wall outlet and putting the ONEAC 1107 in its place. Although i will end up using most of the 10 total outlets between the two PCs, I am hoping that I can put the Sim/Ult outlet back on the ONEAC which will allow me to A/B the ONEAC against the Powervar. I also hope to separate the amps from the digital where possible.

Oct 7, 2005 at 9:22 PM Post #2 of 2
Maybe you were just tired from climbing around behind your stereo, replugging everything.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back