Power cable, Dac or Amp?
May 21, 2008 at 5:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Dominat0r

Formerly known as HighLife
If you had only 1 good (better then stock) power cable...which would you use it on, DAC or Amp?

Im thinking DAC, cause garbage in garbage out....and cause im using the Astrodyne PS for my HR Millett which is connected through a default power cord and plug.

Discuss....im going to plan on both soon, however bought a starter cable (Virtual Dynamics Basic) and wanted to know which device i should use it on.

May 21, 2008 at 7:57 AM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolida302 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm...what's your system please?

All my gear is listed in my signature.

May 22, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you had only 1 good (better then stock) power cable...which would you use it on, DAC or Amp?

Im thinking DAC, cause garbage in garbage out....and cause im using the Astrodyne PS for my HR Millett which is connected through a default power cord and plug.

Discuss....im going to plan on both soon, however bought a starter cable (Virtual Dynamics Basic) and wanted to know which device i should use it on.

Save your money on cords and instead invest in a REAL power conditioner/filter like the offerings by Balanced Power, Equitech, Furman, etc...

If you have crap coming out of the wall a power cord is going to do little-too-nothing to reduce line noise and I seriously doubt the equipment you are running draws enough current to run into compression issues even with 16 guage wire.

Good Hunting

May 22, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #6 of 23
power is clean as a whistle....can turn up all my amps (Home stereo and headphone) and there no NO hums or anything like that.

Before this house was purchased, it had the inside totally rewired. Including Fiber optic for my phone with 1 copper line left for DSL. As soon as ITFL comes in my area, im getting it.

So i figured for 45$, cant really go wrong.

May 22, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

power is clean as a whistle....can turn up all my amps (Home stereo and headphone) and there no NO hums or anything like that.

Before this house was purchased, it had the inside totally rewired. Including Fiber optic for my phone with 1 copper line left for DSL. As soon as ITFL comes in my area, im getting it.

So i figured for 45$, cant really go wrong.

Excellent! that is definately the best way to start.
I assume you're running a dedicated 20A service for your audio?

Throw the fat cable on whichever draws the most current. It will lower impedance and allow the power supply to work marginally better...you might even hear an improvement!!! (wink, wink, nudge, nudge...)

May 23, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #9 of 23
Digital sources are very susceptible to power fluctuations/noise, etc. I see what you're saying as far as using it on the DAC, and that would be my choice as well. Amps generally are designed to deal with power a bit better. Even though your home AC is good, I'd still invest in a filter, or at least separating your digital and analog sections as best as you can.

May 23, 2008 at 6:32 AM Post #10 of 23
i guess ill have to try it on both and see which i like more.

I dunno, im hoping it will any change for the good =) I guess there is no better way then to try.

Should be here in a few more days. Philodox just get it delivered today and he said he will have it out as soon as possible. I told him to give it a try on his rig if he liked. He should he would try however he has been pretty busy the past for days.

May 23, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

i guess ill have to try it on both and see which i like more.

I dunno, im hoping it will any change for the good =) I guess there is no better way then to try.

Should be here in a few more days. Philodox just get it delivered today and he said he will have it out as soon as possible. I told him to give it a try on his rig if he liked. He should he would try however he has been pretty busy the past for days.

What kind of power draw on your Amp? I would seriously look at the Furman Ref IT 7i with two balanced outlets.
If you're patient you can probably find a demo or used unit on Agon for less than 5 bills. Equitech makes great stuff too...but more expensive.

May 23, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #12 of 23
im not sure on the power draw, i would assume 12v....however i could be wrong on the exact amount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back