Power cable, Dac or Amp?
May 28, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Know Talent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Save your money on cords and instead invest in a REAL power conditioner/filter like the offerings by Balanced Power, Equitech, Furman, etc...

If you have crap coming out of the wall a power cord is going to do little-too-nothing to reduce line noise and I seriously doubt the equipment you are running draws enough current to run into compression issues even with 16 guage wire.

Good Hunting

And before all that, to install dedicated separate power lines with bigger cooper cables for amps/ power amps! And also to respect the power phase.

May 28, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
power is clean as a whistle....can turn up all my amps (Home stereo and headphone) and there no NO hums or anything like that.

Before this house was purchased, it had the inside totally rewired. Including Fiber optic for my phone with 1 copper line left for DSL. As soon as ITFL comes in my area, im getting it.

So i figured for 45$, cant really go wrong.

It has nothing to do with having some hum or not. A good filter ALWAYS improves, whatever your installation. On another hand, a bad one downgrade.

Jun 16, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #18 of 23
well cable got here today....

I can say, right off the bat...i believe the cable does make a difference. Its seems much more alive...the background seems to have less noise. It really gives a rich tone to the sound that the cheesy cable doesnt really deliver.

Another thing to note, this cable is a BEAST...like 10-12lbs at least. I almost wasnt able to fit it behind my desk.

Jun 16, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

well cable got here today....

I can say, right off the bat...i believe the cable does make a difference. Its seems much more alive...the background seems to have less noise. It really gives a rich tone to the sound that the cheesy cable doesnt really deliver.

Another thing to note, this cable is a BEAST...like 10-12lbs at least. I almost wasnt able to fit it behind my desk.

What guage is the cheesy cable vs. what you bought?

Jun 16, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #20 of 23
18AWG for the chessy, i dunno whats in VD cable, its pretty thick.

Im reading the other thread and they said its just normal wire, just sheilded...maybe thats whats making the difference.

Jun 16, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

18AWG for the chessy, i dunno whats in VD cable, its pretty thick.

Im reading the other thread and they said its just normal wire, just sheilded...maybe thats whats making the difference.

18 guage vs 10 guage (I'm guessing for the VD) would show an improvement IF current compression was an issue.
Lower resistance means the power supply doesn't have to work as hard and/or allows it to produce maximum rated power.

Given the draw of you components I can't say if 18 guage would create a resistance/"current compression" synergy issue with your component power supply BUT it is certainly a logical explanation...assuming you are really hearing a difference!
biggrin.gif
What would be interesting is to find another generic industrial powercord of the same gauge as the VD and have a friend come over and do an A/B test to see if you can hear a difference....

Jun 16, 2008 at 10:58 PM Post #22 of 23
I will be attending a small meet 2 weeks from now, will have to do a blind test =)

Jul 4, 2008 at 8:39 AM Post #23 of 23
Hi,

If you have a look at the Benchmark USB thread, enormously long, the you will find that Benchmark recommend standard, good quality cables, and consider exotic cables a waste of money.

Their equipment was developed for studio use, and on their web site you can find graphs, tests etc to back up all their claims.

Studios would laugh at the idea that they need exotic cables to get their equipment to perform correctly.

Regards

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back