Power Amp Skeptic
May 8, 2009 at 7:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

theScribe

Head-Fier
Hi guys, I was just chatting with my favorite electrical engineer friend (if you read him from an earlier post) and again he is skeptical that a power tube will change the sound signature.

I notice a change myself, but he said that a power tube is only suppose to amplify the sound and not chance the sonics itself. I recently installed a RCA 6AS7G to replace a sino tube.

Is anyone familiar with tube technology? How and why does the power tube change the sound signature? I am curious to know the physics of it.

-JC

May 8, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #2 of 24
I can't answer your question, but what makes him think that all power tubes sound the same?
confused_face_2.gif

Does he have any experience in tubes?

May 8, 2009 at 8:05 AM Post #4 of 24
I have an engineer friend who similarly assures me op-amps make no difference to sound. Lets hope he and your friend stick to designing bridges and remote control toys.

May 8, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #5 of 24
I don't get it. Every electrical engineer knows that op-amps and tubes introduce distortion, and frequency response is never completely flat. Also, tubes and op-amps have difference in their design and production that affects their characteristics.

May 8, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #6 of 24
6sn7lv.gif

Here's some tube curves for a 6SN7.

As you can see, tubes aren't perfectly linear. They vary by model, brand and even from tube to tube. Further, the curves change slightly over time. If you have the proper equipment, you can measure these curves yourself.

The curves lend a particular signature to any tube. Also, you'll notice that the curves change depending on how the amp is designed to run. Or that the same tube will sound different in different amps.

Nothing is perfectly linear, ever. Your EE friend should know that. There's always a wide gap between the theoretical and what happens in the real world, when you have to consider manufacturing, variations, etc. etc.

May 8, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #7 of 24
You can always 'tell' an EE, you just can't tell 'em much.
biggrin.gif

May 8, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Toby M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an engineer friend who similarly assures me op-amps make no difference to sound. Lets hope he and your friend stick to designing bridges and remote control toys.

Agreed. They just don't have enough experience/knowledge.

May 8, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #9 of 24
to me, it seems like they been "schooled" in how godly and superior transistors is. But you guys are right, he doesn't have experience in this "outdated" technology.

All he showed me was the diagram for an opamp and how that tiny, tiny chip can do all the things that my big tube audiotailor jade can. He owns a tube guitar amplifier himself and he knows that the 12AX7 in his guitar amp can introduce lots of distortion, but NOT when it comes to the power tube. I don't understand, what are these schools teaching these kids?

Why do they rever SS so much and not leave an open mind? I'm just curious of everything naturally.

-JC

May 8, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #10 of 24
Probably because solid state is 99% of the market and employers aren't looking to hire anyone who understands tubes.

Also, fundamental research into vacuum tubes stopped in the 1960s. You have no idea where they'd be today if R&D had continued or a company like General Electric threw millions, talented engineers and computer modeling at tubes. Maybe it'll happen some day, but the industry seems content to reproduce decades-old designs. Further, while tubes are extremely popular here, keep in mind that they are only a small part of the audio market and don't really lend themselves to mass production, at least how it is understood today in terms of Apple ordering four million new iPhones.

Still, tubes are going to persist. There's enough of a market in audio to keep them alive -they really are wonderful for listening to music. Tubes are also ideal for guitar amps. They'll distort in a way that no chip ever will. Maybe some DSP will replace them, but it'll never quite be the same. Tubes are also great for high power RF amplification applications. You might be surprised at how many radio stations still use them to transmit.

May 8, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #11 of 24
Yeah, there are definately some custom High voltage tubes being used since they seem to be one of the few things stable at multiple thousands of volts. We had a interesting discussion today involving power stations and transmission. Another fun one volving parasitic inductance, skin effects, and relative capacitance along with the effects of shielding. That one is being left to finish at another time.

May 9, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Toby M /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, theory has no place anymore, only experience matters. Let's replace all those silly engineers with people who have experience. Hey, audiophiles have plenty of experience! We should let them design your grandfather's pacemaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back