pots with built in switch?
Aug 19, 2004 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

PYROTAK

100+ Head-Fier
are there any good pots with a built in swtich.

all the way to the left is off and then it clicks on?

what type of pots are these called and can they be found in a small enough size so that it can fit on a mint board..i assume it will have extra wires that i can wire up for the power, but small enough to fit in a hammond 1455c802?

Aug 19, 2004 at 10:11 PM Post #3 of 32
is there one thats good and comparable to the panasonic one thats currently on my mint?

im ordering a bunch of stuff from mouser so its just a pot with a spdt switch?

Aug 19, 2004 at 10:55 PM Post #4 of 32
Not sure if you're able to find it, but Alps makes an RK09 with built-in switch
smily_headphones1.gif

/U.

Aug 19, 2004 at 11:45 PM Post #5 of 32
mouser carries the r09 but not with a switch. sigh.

they do carry a 16mm miniature carbon composition ALPHA miniature pot.

anyone know if these are good?

what specs on the pot should i look for to see if its suitable for audio use?

they are on pg 419 and 421 of the mouser catalogue.

for the alpha
http://www.mouser.com/catalog/619/419.pdf

for the alps
http://www.mouser.com/catalog/619/421.pdf

i suppose i could order from another distributor if anyone has better suggestions.

Aug 21, 2004 at 4:11 AM Post #6 of 32
I just made an inquiry to Mouser on the Alps RK09 with a rotary switch. The minimum order is 100 pieces from Alps. I'm thinking of placing an order and selling them to those who want one. Sure would be better for mini amps.

When I hear back on pricing I'll post more here.

Aug 21, 2004 at 4:44 AM Post #8 of 32
Those ALPS pots do not have threaded collars so panel mounting them is out of the question.
Not to mention they track worser then Panasonic EVJ's

The alpha pots track pretty good but Mouser doesn't have a dual log taper one with a switch in stock.

I could have sworn that Mouser did carry a dual audio taper switched pot but I can't find it now, time to bust out the print catalog.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 21, 2004 at 5:19 PM Post #9 of 32
lol i got 2 of the printed catalogues sitting in front of me.
biggrin.gif

Aug 21, 2004 at 5:54 PM Post #11 of 32
MisterX, I think you are wrong about the bushings being threaded. Jan Meier uses this pot in the Porta Corda. If you check his website, you will see in the **** photo for this amp that the bushing is threaded. I've ordered some samples and I will measure the tracking.

Thrice, I'll let you know about pricing when I get it.

Aug 21, 2004 at 6:39 PM Post #12 of 32
sweetness! i really want to get me a wonderful spdt pot of good quality, then i can get rid of the silly switch that i have on my mint that takes up too much room
biggrin.gif

Aug 21, 2004 at 8:44 PM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by GainHead
MisterX, I think you are wrong about the bushings being threaded. Jan Meier uses this pot in the Porta Corda. If you check his website, you will see in the **** photo for this amp that the bushing is threaded.

If you check the link above (mouser page 421) you man notice that is an entirely different type of pot.
wink.gif

Aug 22, 2004 at 4:44 AM Post #14 of 32
Not only do you need an audio taper pot, but make sure you get a dual pot. I haven't seen any of those with a switch. If you're really motivated, you could make your own - attach something to the shaft that would click a lever switch at minimum volume.

I've also seen switches that attach to the back of a pot at Radio Shack. They were fairly large, but it might be worth it for a home amp.

Aug 22, 2004 at 8:03 PM Post #15 of 32
well someone should ask xin what pot hes using.

hes supermono has a spdt on it becuase there is no power switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back