POTS, redux
Sep 6, 2008 at 3:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

pabbi1

Cavalli Audio Spiritual Advisor
Ok, I admit defeat finding RK40 in audio taper (much less in 100k), and just cannot stomach RK27 for my next application. I live with two of them daily, and they are OK in the Millett Maxx, but...

In what I have read, the Noble pot, while a few bucks more, is about the same performance level, some liking it more, others not.

So, we come to the TKD 2CP-2511 - leaving out the cost differential, is it BETTER? Not by a %, but simply better? Then we have the TKD 2CP-2508 (partsconnexion), which is the 2511 with ALPS log scale - again, forgetting price, is this better still, assuming familiarity is a good thing?

Leave the stepped attenuators out of the discussion - Goldpoints are also well known to me, as I have them in the BH. And, I am in a quandry because of some Taiwan stepped attenuators already.

Assume I don't have room for the Joshua Tree or like control boards, and RK50 / P&G are just too much at this point.

Sep 6, 2008 at 1:03 PM Post #2 of 37
You might look into Precision Electronic Components (PEC) carbon pots that are available through DigiKey (and others). There's been a lot of positive talk about them on diyAudio and I'll be using one in my speaker amp.

And it's a big bummer about the RK40 stock drying up completely. I still have one in my drawer and I'm not sure what project I'll deem worthy of it. :S

Sep 6, 2008 at 2:29 PM Post #4 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might look into Precision Electronic Components (PEC) carbon pots that are available through DigiKey (and others). There's been a lot of positive talk about them on diyAudio and I'll be using one in my speaker amp.

And it's a big bummer about the RK40 stock drying up completely. I still have one in my drawer and I'm not sure what project I'll deem worthy of it. :S

two quick questions:

but have you used the pec before, and heard it yourself?

is the rk40 aka the "black beauty"?

Sep 6, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #5 of 37
Quote:

That's a LINEAR pot, not a log/audio taper regardless of what they put in the title. I've dealt with Family Gate for two years or so and they confirmed for me recently that they are out of the audio taper version of the RK40 and cannot get any more. They were the last, best source for them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
two quick questions:

but have you used the pec before, and heard it yourself?

is the rk40 aka the "black beauty"?

1. No, I haven't used the PEC pot before. I was purely relaying the recommendations made on diyAudio. But I should have a project completed with one in the next couple of weeks.

2. Yes, the RK40 was the pot commonly referred to as the Black Beauty.

Sep 6, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #7 of 37
Have you considered a "modified shunt" arrangement?

headfi thread, has link to actual site

I have done this with a pot not even as nice as an RK-27 (rat-shack alps 10k-audio) in my 708B and it sounds pretty sweet. It is certainly worth a try if you have the parts available.

I also built it in the balanced configuration (with a noble 10-K) for my balanced RA-1 clone, and will be using the same setup for my next balanced amp.

Sep 6, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #8 of 37
It's a 50k unit and came as a art of a batch of parts that I bought for a speaker amp project. I'll post the results of the build when I'm done but I'm not sure I can give any meaningful impressions of just the pot.

Sep 6, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #9 of 37
Nate, I'll assume log taper not reverse log taper for stereo? They do have some good mil spec attributes, and are not much bigger than the rk27... at $33, not terribly bad, and half of the TDK.

So, no one has even heard the TDK?

Sep 6, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #10 of 37
I have a commercial amp with a PEC pot in it, seems to work well haven't done a comparison as the amp works just fine. There is a bit of noise when adjusting but it's silent once set. I cant speak for the feel of other pec's but there is less resistance when turned vs Alps. Just a couple things that may be of interest would be interesting to hear some other diy impressions.

Sep 6, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #11 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
<snip>

So, we come to the TKD 2CP-2511 - leaving out the cost differential, is it BETTER? Not by a %, but simply better? Then we have the TKD 2CP-2508 (partsconnexion), which is the 2511 with ALPS log scale - again, forgetting price, is this better still, assuming familiarity is a good thing?

Yes, they are significantly better. I haven't used the 2508. Incredibly smooth rotation as well. IIRC, Morsel had posted a link showing the internal construction of these (run thru google translation)

Potentiometer, Kohle, Leitplastik

Sep 6, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #12 of 37
I have used the TKD pot (2CP-2511) in my M3 build...
yes, rotation is ever so smooth and I would rate it very high
but can't compare it directly since I don't own two same amps with
different pots.
In terms of resolution it just barely beats the Noble pot (100k,
detented) in my C3G tube amp and is on par with the stepped
attenuator in my Aikido headphone amp.

http://xs331.xs.to/xs331/08366/inside_6121.jpg

Sep 6, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #13 of 37
Thanks, PARS, I had seen that link, just wondered if others here concurred... and, thus it looks like I have my answer, when it comes to that... :)

Sep 7, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #14 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, PARS, I had seen that link, just wondered if others here concurred... and, thus it looks like I have my answer, when it comes to that... :)

Al:

with so many amps, why not just build a single attenuator box and then have output selector to control each of your amps? Then, just pull all the pots and steppers out and be done with it
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back