Potential upgrade from Shure se420?
Jan 16, 2010 at 6:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

wild_fire1979

New Head-Fier
Hey All,

I am planning to upgrade from my shures and looking for a better alternative. Shure 420 did not sound that great to me.

Any recommendations while staying within 300. I am looking for earphones only.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2010 at 6:33 AM Post #2 of 18
Westone 3, UE Triple.fi 10, Sennheiser IE7/IE8, Shure SE530. Take your pick.

From my personal experience, I would recommend the Sennheiser IE8, though I've heard the IE7 is very good, but has a different flavor to it.

All of these can be found around ~$300 now, if you look well!

Jan 16, 2010 at 6:42 AM Post #4 of 18
Just a hint to the OP: the better you describe what bothers you with your current phones and what sound signature you want, the more accurate recommendations you'll get. "Sound not that great" and "looking for better" doesn't give away much information.

Jan 16, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Westone 3, UE Triple.fi 10, Sennheiser IE7/IE8, Shure SE530. Take your pick.

From my personal experience, I would recommend the Sennheiser IE8, though I've heard the IE7 is very good, but has a different flavor to it.

All of these can be found around ~$300 now, if you look well!

That will be awesome if I can get it for around 300. Any pointers on where I can start to look google shopping is-int helping much
frown.gif

Quote:

I just asked pretty much the same thing in this thread earlier today -- upgrading from the same phones, in fact, though I requested specific criteria. So far most people are leaning towards the UE Triple.Fi 10s, which suits me fine.

I am not a big fan of UEs. They jut out of your ears in a weird way
frown.gif

Quote:

Just a hint to the OP: the better you describe what bothers you with your current phones and what sound signature you want, the more accurate recommendations you'll get. "Sound not that great" and "looking for better" doesn't give away much information.

You are right! I should have provided more info.Basically I find the shures flat and not at all punchy when it comes to music.

I use a cowon s9 and the shures flex molding ear pieces.

Music type is rock, alternative. I like listening to a lot of acoustic guitar based music, so looking for something which can create the soundstage and sound alive.

Jan 16, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #6 of 18
I think UM3x, W3 and SE530 are the upgrades over SE420 and they all sound great but to me UM3x willbe better upgrade. Because it has better midrange and it shows more details than others two. I also experienced SE530 were sound really good when i paird with D2 and it may have good synergy with S9 too. BTW if you are looking for huge soundstage and alive sound then IE8, TF10Pro are the perfect IEMs.

Jan 16, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #7 of 18
Monster Turbine Pro.

Very smooth full sounding IMHO.
To me sound better than SE530, but can't speak about any of the others.

Jan 16, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #8 of 18
Westone 3, ie8, Triple fi's, se530, all good with distinct sound sigs. se530 have the best mids, triple fis the most neutral, ie8 has the best bass and the westone 3's do everything well, with great lows and high's and detail

Jan 16, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by crowley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Westone 3, ie8, Triple fi's, se530, all good with distinct sound sigs. se530 have the best mids, triple fis the most neutral, ie8 has the best bass and the westone 3's do everything well, with great lows and high's and detail

Hmm... I re-considering triple fis 'cause they can be bought off ebay brand new for about 150. A question though, does ue honor warranty on these??

Jan 16, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by wild_fire1979 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm... I re-considering triple fis 'cause they can be bought off ebay brand new for about 150. A question though, does ue honor warranty on these??

Depends on if the seller will give you his invoice/receipt from Amazon. I was in the same situation a little while ago (but with an Amazon reseller) because the little slip in the box said you need proof of purchase from an authorized seller (amazon) for the warranty.

Jan 16, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glitched /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends on if the seller will give you his invoice/receipt from Amazon. I was in the same situation a little while ago (but with an Amazon reseller) because the little slip in the box said you need proof of purchase from an authorized seller (amazon) for the warranty.

Would need to find this out
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, does Triple fi benefit from custom sleeves? Does any company make custom sleeves for the triple fi 10?

Jan 16, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Would need to find this out
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, does Triple fi benefit from custom sleeves? Does any company make custom sleeves for the triple fi 10?

Yup, but why not just get them reshelled? I think it's $80, if you already have had impressions.

Jan 16, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

well i bought mine from an amazon reseller and the seller has also send me the amazon receipt, well you can request it.

Jan 17, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Yup, but why not just get them reshelled? I think it's $80, if you already have had impressions.

Reshelled? Care to elaborate?
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

well i bought mine from an amazon reseller and the seller has also send me the amazon receipt, well you can request it.

Hmm... Let me find out if the receipt is included.

Jan 17, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Reshelled? Care to elaborate?
smily_headphones1.gif

There's an ongoing thread here for Fisher Audio who will reshell (that is, turn your ugly, for-the-masses earphone into a suave, custom job) the flood of triple.fis (since that Amazon deal) for $80. Not a bad deal if I do say so myself, and if I were you and had the money that would certainly be on my radar. Downside is it lowers resale value because the new owner has to get it reshelled again to fit their ears.

If you don't already own the triple.fis, but after thinking about it you're sure you want customs and you have the money, maybe you might consider the JH5 pro? (It's a lot but probably worth it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back