Pot soldering
Oct 16, 2008 at 12:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Oublie

100+ Head-Fier
Oct 16, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #2 of 10
Like any solder joint. Make sure all surfaces are clean, apply enough heat to the joint so that the solder flows freely (which may be a little longer than a joint between components because there's more metal). Keep the heat on and add solder until there's enough. If you need to add more solder after removing heat, make sure it's completely reheated and fluid before adding more.

Oct 16, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #3 of 10
Pots are hard to solder wire to. I use lots of heat and lots of solder. Make sure to bend the wires such that they stay connected to the pot prior to soldering, otherwise once you remove the soldering iron the wire will fly away.

Oct 16, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #4 of 10
although not the same pot Tom had offered some advice in the starving student thread about the panasonic pot

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also, it's one heckuva difficult pot to air-wire. They're really designed to be snapped into a PCB with those side tabs. That way, the very close and tiny pins are not an issue to wire up. If you do go with it, I suggest using a small piece of perf-board at the pins to help give the pins and wiring some structure and strength.

might be helpful in this situation also

Oct 17, 2008 at 12:32 AM Post #5 of 10
You really need 3 hands to do this
confused_face.gif

One thing I like to do is use 1/16" heatshrink on the pins after soldering... just be careful with the heat gun as you can actually unsolder the connection thereby greatly pissing yourself off.

Oct 17, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #6 of 10
I cheat with pots and use a crimp lug, similar to these:

Jaycar Electronics

(I think those are bigger than the ones I have, but the idea is the same).

You can crimp one end easily to the pot pin, another end to hookup wire, drop some solder in and then heatshrink.

Oct 17, 2008 at 8:24 AM Post #7 of 10
Thanks for your ideas guys, I especially like the crimp lug option if i can get some small enough. Maybe it's just my fat fingers or maybe i just need more practise with my iron.

Oct 17, 2008 at 9:18 AM Post #8 of 10
After I tin the wire and pin, I clean/re-tin the tip of my iron, place the wire over the pin, and press down with the iron.
It usually works flawlessly for me as long as the pot isn't moving around. And then I put heat shrink over.

Oct 17, 2008 at 9:36 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After I tin the wire and pin, I clean/re-tin the tip of my iron, place the wire over the pin, and press down with the iron.
It usually works flawlessly for me as long as the pot isn't moving around. And then I put heat shrink over.

+1 for that method. That's how I did the pot in my starving millet build, it's a pcb mount pot. Solder on the tab, tinned wire, heat together and voila. I'd forgotten that I'd done that
tongue.gif

I was thinking more of the solder lugs of larger pots when reading the OP and how the pot body tends to suck up all the heat making it hard to get a nice flow going right away.

Oct 21, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #10 of 10
Helping Hands to hold both parts still while soldering. It can also help to pre-tin the wire and pot leads before trying to attach to each other if it's a straight joint instead of wrapping the wire around it.

00319.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back