Postperson Surprise! iBasso T1 Picture Tutorial
Mar 25, 2007 at 12:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

filipelli

Headphoneus Supremus
I posted these pictures on the ibasso t1 pics thread, but here they are again unembedded in the thread! A pictorial of the ibasso t1, a surprise the postman brought for me today...

Just got mine in the mail...and man...beauty..

Here's what you would be seeing if you were me...

the package:

IMG_1546-1.jpg

nice professional looking box

IMG_1547-1.jpg

IMG_1549-1.jpg

the accessories: 12". 6" mini IC's, USB AC adapter, Instructional sheet

IMG_1550-1.jpg

the plastic packaging

IMG_1552-1.jpg

the amp

IMG_1556-1.jpg

IMG_1554-1.jpg

IMG_1553-1.jpg

IMG_1555-1.jpg

i put some rubber feet on mine to protect the finish when its sitting - also to protect it when its stacked under my Zen vision

IMG_1557-1.jpg

It is charging right now and getting acquainted with its new friend...

IMG_1559-1.jpg

I will add more pictures of my portable rig in a bit, and if you guys like, more close ups.

Mar 25, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #3 of 19
Could you post pics and/or your impressions about the ICs? I'm assuming they won't be top quality, but if they are utterly bad, I need to start making me some silver bling IC's for when my T1 arrives (and It's already 3 days late...)

Of course if you could give a word or two on how does it sound with what phones, it will be surely welcome.

Mar 25, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #4 of 19
Nice pics you got there. I wish I had your forethought and put some feet on my T1 as soon as I got them. Instead, I ended up scratching the finish on one side before I stuck some velcro (the hairy side) so the actually amp sits higher when I place it down or pair it up with my dap.

Now, I'm thinking of getting a scotch brite pad and putting a brushed finish to it...Still debating but I wonder how that would look like
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where did you get the rubber feet?

got the feet from my work... i am a repair tech for laptops so those feet are for laptops
580smile.gif
i had a really hard time deciding which feet though haha.

i haven't had the chance to test them at all yet. will do so tonight with what i have: ksc35s, um1s, and hd580s..and will report back here

Mar 25, 2007 at 5:16 AM Post #7 of 19
I have listening to the IC's that come with the amp but they aren't burned in at all. They aren't bad but they do not have the detail or openess of my silver IC's but again I haven't put much time on them.

Mar 25, 2007 at 6:25 AM Post #8 of 19
Looks like the back of yours is engraved with something. Is the engraving customizable?

Mar 25, 2007 at 6:58 AM Post #10 of 19
I got to test drive the amp for a little bit with my zen vision and um1s, and so far I am loving the sound that comes with the bass boost, as most people do. I am using the stock interconnects, and sorry Molondro, I can't get pics up at the moment, but will do so by tomorrow. With these interconnects I can hear a great deal of static and graininess with the volume turned all the way down. During the pauses between songs, I can hear this graininess and damn its annoying. It is also noticable during the songs I have been testing out which are mainly Hans Zimmers scores. I am wondering if I got a defective unit...so I am going to contact the ebay seller tonight and see what is up.

Also aside from this graininess, MY amp has a high pitched hiss when it is a little compressed against my player in the bag I hold the two components in. This sucks...Anyone have the same issues?

Anyway, going to contact the seller...very unbearable to my ears, and I don't think I am exxagerrating. There is a one year warranty offered by the seller though, so I think I will be taking advantage of it.

Mar 25, 2007 at 7:42 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got to test drive the amp for a little bit with my zen vision and um1s, and so far I am loving the sound that comes with the bass boost, as most people do. I am using the stock interconnects, and sorry Molondro, I can't get pics up at the moment, but will do so by tomorrow. With these interconnects I can hear a great deal of static and graininess with the volume turned all the way down. During the pauses between songs, I can hear this graininess and damn its annoying. It is also noticable during the songs I have been testing out which are mainly Hans Zimmers scores. I am wondering if I got a defective unit...so I am going to contact the ebay seller tonight and see what is up.

Also aside from this graininess, MY amp has a high pitched hiss when it is a little compressed against my player in the bag I hold the two components in. This sucks...Anyone have the same issues?

Anyway, going to contact the seller...very unbearable to my ears, and I don't think I am exxagerrating. There is a one year warranty offered by the seller though, so I think I will be taking advantage of it.

what happens if you unplug the IC from the amp, and power it on? Does the noise/hiss persist, with no cable or source connected? If it persists then its most likely poor S/N performance with those low impedance / high sensitivity IEMs. Many amps do this, but not all. The amp designer has to optimize the gain for that impedance load.

Radio shack sells an attenuator adapter for $5. That effectively is a variable impedance adapter. Give that a try. I have found impedance adapters clean up hissy amps.

My little dot micro hums and clicks any time it is near my laptop, and I am on a wifi. But it only does it with my Grados and jays IEMs. My HD580 and K240s are silent.

EMI/RFI can interfere with amps in all sorts of ways. The amps metal chassis should be grounded to help shield the circuit from radiated noise.

Does the amp maker offer a low-gain version?... for IEMs?

Good Luck!!

Mar 25, 2007 at 8:40 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what happens if you unplug the IC from the amp, and power it on? Does the noise/hiss persist, with no cable or source connected? If it persists then its most likely poor S/N performance with those low impedance / high sensitivity IEMs. Many amps do this, but not all. The amp designer has to optimize the gain for that impedance load.

Radio shack sells an attenuator adapter for $5. That effectively is a variable impedance adapter. Give that a try. I have found impedance adapters clean up hissy amps.

My little dot micro hums and clicks any time it is near my laptop, and I am on a wifi. But it only does it with my Grados and jays IEMs. My HD580 and K240s are silent.

EMI/RFI can interfere with amps in all sorts of ways. The amps metal chassis should be grounded to help shield the circuit from radiated noise.

Does the amp maker offer a low-gain version?... for IEMs?

Good Luck!!

yeah kramer, i think you're right. i heard most of the graininess and hiss with my um1s and virtually none from my hd580s. its a real shame because i aim to use the amp in my portable rig...although man...for lack of a better word...the synergy of the t1 with my senns is beautiful.

i read on the other t1 thread that some head-fiers hear virtually no hiss or static with low impedence headphones and monitors, while others do. it's really strange because it makes it confusing to determine what the culprit for the issue is- is it a defect? or is it just the amp? in the mean time, i have contacted the seller, and we are arranging an exchange...i will soon see if history repeats itself with another ibasso t1. it would be good information for people who are interested in this amp to go along with their ultraportable rigs...which most often include IEMS

oh and as for low-gain...i am not sure...but will be asking about that!

Mar 25, 2007 at 9:34 AM Post #13 of 19
I face the same problem with my UE 10 pro.
And in the iBasso T1 thread I read at least of someone more who has the same problem.
It would be funny if there are so many defective units around at the same time.
I was really hoping that with the iBasso T1 I would end up with an ultraportable rig. But it seems that the small size comes with a price.
I will most likely return my amp and look for something else.

Mar 25, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah kramer, i think you're right. i heard most of the graininess and hiss with my um1s and virtually none from my hd580s. its a real shame because i aim to use the amp in my portable rig...although man...for lack of a better word...the synergy of the t1 with my senns is beautiful.

i read on the other t1 thread that some head-fiers hear virtually no hiss or static with low impedence headphones and monitors, while others do. it's really strange because it makes it confusing to determine what the culprit for the issue is- is it a defect? or is it just the amp? in the mean time, i have contacted the seller, and we are arranging an exchange...i will soon see if history repeats itself with another ibasso t1. it would be good information for people who are interested in this amp to go along with their ultraportable rigs...which most often include IEMS

oh and as for low-gain...i am not sure...but will be asking about that!

Sounds like an amp-gain issue more than anything defective. Note also that the sensitivity of IEMs varies greatly from model to model. So they may all be low impedance, but because some have lower sensitivity, they may not be sensitive enough to "hear" the hiss.

This is the case with the Jays IEMs the d-JAYS are noticeably more sensitive than the q-JAYS. So the d-JAYS reveal more hiss with my noisier amps.

If the amp is designed well from the start, with a LOW gain, the noise should be next to nothing. My misterX pimeta and sweetpig audio amps are blacker than black silent. While my mint amps are a little noisy.

I wouldnt give up on the amp just yet, an impedance adapter can go a long way IMHO.

Mar 25, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like an amp-gain issue more than anything defective. Note also that the sensitivity of IEMs varies greatly from model to model. So they may all be low impedance, but because some have lower sensitivity, they may not be sensitive enough to "hear" the hiss.

This is the case with the Jays IEMs the d-JAYS are noticeably more sensitive than the q-JAYS. So the d-JAYS reveal more hiss with my noisier amps.

If the amp is designed well from the start, with a LOW gain, the noise should be next to nothing. My misterX pimeta and sweetpig audio amps are blacker than black silent. While my mint amps are a little noisy.

I wouldnt give up on the amp just yet, an impedance adapter can go a long way IMHO.

Thanks Kramer, I will be looking for an impedance adapter at radioshack today, as I am curious if it will reduce the hiss as you say ...and I am sure you are right. I just hooked up my ep630 to the amp and zen and the high pitched hiss is gone, but there is a low background hum. I am just systematically trying out all my gear, and each has different results. next up, ksc35.

what does the radioshack impedance adapter look like? I am aiming to be as portable as possible. and there isn't much room in my gigbag for a lot more..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back