Postal screw up - whose bum is on the line?
Dec 29, 2011 at 6:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

VictorHalgaard

WARNING: BAD TRADER
Also known as HeadphoneViking.
Hey there, I have so far accounted for 3 or 4 packages that have not arrived at their destinations, or arrived with fully or partially missing contents. 
And I'm kinda struggling to make up my mind about what to do about it. On one hand i feel that (in the cases where its my packages or i'm related to it) I should cover for the loss, but on the other hand i have "lost" said item too. So the logical thing would be for me to pay for 50% of the loss(?) but then the receiver could technically still file a PayPal complaint and force a full refund - even for the bits that have arrived. And then I've basically just thrown it all out the window.

And in the last instance I can technically not know wether the other part is telling the truth or just want to screw me over and i suppose that goes both ways.

Any thoughts?

Dec 29, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #2 of 28
Ask for return of all partial contents and issue a refund. Take your issue with the post office. You have no leverage with buyers since it is seller's responsibility to deliver 100% of the product safely to the buyer. If you are suspicious about their honesty ask for pictures of the box. However, it is my speculation that some of the contents may be removed by customs since your origin location is EU and may be shipping outside the country.

Dec 29, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #3 of 28
IMO it depends on what you agreed on before the shipment took place, regarding insurance and tracking and the like.
But 3-4 packages is an unusually large amount, maybe something is going on at your post office?

Dec 29, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #4 of 28

Quote:
IMO it depends on what you agreed on before the shipment took place, regarding insurance and tracking and the like.
But 3-4 packages is an unusually large amount, maybe something is going on at your post office?

Well all the packages weren't mine, nor from the same post office, and all of them have been accounted for having full contents prior to leaving the country.

Quote:
Ask for return of all partial contents and issue a refund. Take your issue with the post office. You have no leverage with buyers since it is seller's responsibility to deliver 100% of the product safely to the buyer. If you are suspicious about their honesty ask for pictures of the box. However, it is my speculation that some of the contents may be removed by customs since your origin location is EU and may be shipping outside the country.

That seems pretty narrow minded - it's not like im a company, selling/shipping things. And EU is not a country...

Dec 29, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #5 of 28
Narrow-minded? That's irrelevant because I'm not expressing an opinion. I'm stating that PayPal and credit card companies will slam you because your goods are not as described or lost in the mail that is your problem. You will lose the dispute by their guidelines. Never said EU was a country, merely the origin if it were going to other continents customs will inspect or seize contents.  

Dec 29, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #6 of 28

Quote:
Narrow-minded? That's irrelevant because I'm not expressing an opinion. I'm stating that PayPal and credit card companies will slam you because your goods are not as described or lost in the mail that is your problem. You will lose the dispute by their guidelines. Never said EU was a country, merely the origin if it were going to other continents customs will inspect or seize contents.  

So basically i have to take 150% of the flak, because some jerkoff decided to steal the contents of a package that were in the hands of a 3rd part (shipping service) on its way to the receiver - Resulting in me standing with no money, no gear and potential of getting kicked out of my apartment. Nice...Happy f'ing hollidays eh?

Dec 29, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #7 of 28
There are several ways to look at this.  First, if you did not purchase or mention insurance you have , in effect, "self-insured" in which case you are on the hook 100%.  Alternatively, if you offered a price including insured  shipping and the buyer balked at the cost, then the shoe is on the other foot. 

There is a third POV, but it is only relevant if you are talking about real money and not some trivial sum. If there was no mention on your part of delivery via insured shipping and/or the buyer did not insist on it if it was not mentioned, then you are both morons.  If a trivial sum, no big deal.

Lastly, if it is a single buyer disputing the contents of multiple packages you may be dealing with a crook.

Dec 30, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #8 of 28

Quote:
There are several ways to look at this.  First, if you did not purchase or mention insurance you have , in effect, "self-insured" in which case you are on the hook 100%.  Alternatively, if you offered a price including insured  shipping and the buyer balked at the cost, then the shoe is on the other foot. 

There is a third POV, but it is only relevant if you are talking about real money and not some trivial sum. If there was no mention on your part of delivery via insured shipping and/or the buyer did not insist on it if it was not mentioned, then you are both morons.  If a trivial sum, no big deal.

Lastly, if it is a single buyer disputing the contents of multiple packages you may be dealing with a crook.

All my packages are insured, however most people asked for lowered value stated which means the insurance will be low or a backfire because doing so i illegal as far as im aware after reading about it now - i just still feel bad about it...

Dec 30, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #9 of 28

Quote:
All my packages are insured, however most people asked for lowered value stated which means the insurance will be low or a backfire because doing so i illegal as far as im aware after reading about it now - i just still feel bad about it...

If you offered insurance at full value and the buyer insisted on a lower value then they should live with their decision.  IMO you are under no obligation (legally or morally) to make them whole (even partially) under those circumstances.  If a buyer wants the benefit of a lower stated value for duty (or other purposes) they assume the risk.  Period.  

Dec 30, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #10 of 28
I am one of the buyers. The seller did not mension insurance at all. He just told me to pay with paypal as gift at once, so I would reveive the parcel before christamas. No respoond to my messages, no tracking information.

Dec 30, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #13 of 28

Quote:

If the buyer specifically asked for lower value, I would ONLY refund them that amount. Not a dime over. 

If neither mentioned insurance, the seller should refund. 

This is why you ONLY ship with companies that offer real tracking, NEVER devalue an item on a customs form, and ALWAYS ship insured for full amount. And this is no matter what a buyer ask you to do. 

Dec 30, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #14 of 28

Quote:
If you offered insurance at full value and the buyer insisted on a lower value then they should live with their decision.  IMO you are under no obligation (legally or morally) to make them whole (even partially) under those circumstances.  If a buyer wants the benefit of a lower stated value for duty (or other purposes) they assume the risk.  Period.  

I change my mind from my post above. I agree with this. The only person screwed when someone tries to screw customs is the seller. 

We can't know the rules, laws, and traditions of every country. We have no idea what happens in a given country when it is discovered, however infrequently, that a package is devalued (fraud). Officials may trash it, hang the recipient, do nothing, whatever.......

None of that is a sellers' concern, and the buyer should not get squat. 

Dec 30, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #15 of 28

Quote:
And I have no idea where the parcel is or even it is shipped or not.

Hi Alavan, lets keep that in the PM, (Im not the seller of said item for those wondering) I've not been able to contact Dorungu (the seller whom i know personally) either and this has happened to others (2 of the mentioned cases) so II'm waiting to be able to contact. But Alavan, and anyone wondering, I promise that should the package not arrive then i will work my ass off to get enough money to pay a full refund ASAP since your package was not under valued - but the local postal servicen will not refund more than 200$ total and thats if I'm lucky. So you will either have your package or your money! I don't want my reputation as an honest person jepordised for something like this!

And as for the under valued package (should any of the concerned or anone interested read this) I will return the stated value and what more i can spare for the sake of good carma and so on. This christmas has been well spoiled and i will NOT use the same shipping method again, because this is not my idea of fun.

I value honesty and feeling safe highly so anyone who is involved in dealing with me or anyone i know, I will help to the extent that I am able - as i said, i wouldn't want my good reputation ruined
confused_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back