post your two favorite fruits
Apr 30, 2002 at 11:26 PM Post #46 of 51
Granny Smith Apples
Pink Grapefruit

Quote:

Originally posted by gaineso
...Try a sprinkle of salt on a fresh grapefruit. Cuts the acid, and it's GOOD...

That dash of salt also goes good on peaches (3rd fav). Thought folks were nuts 'til I tried it.

May 1, 2002 at 2:34 AM Post #47 of 51
Okay so timoteus is not a fuit snob. Spoiled yes, snob no.
I must be fruit ignorant because I have no idea what chickpeas are.

Quote:

Key limes make great pie, and remember, "Pi R Round", but Persian limes make great eating. Pick it, wipe it on your pants leg to get the dust off, slice it and shove it in your mouth. Ooh, it's so good.

Around here it is almost impossible to get Key lime pie. I love the various versions I have tried so far. I guess I need to go to Florida to get the real thing. I have never heard of Persian limes.

I agree with CaptBubba about the supermarket fruit and fresh fruit.

May 1, 2002 at 4:13 AM Post #48 of 51
1. Strawberries. I dislike the flavorless, potato-like strawberries in most supermarkets. I'd much rather pick my own at a farm near my home town. They're as fresh as can be, and cheap, too. After gathering a couple dozen lbs, I eat enough to make myself sick, and my mom turns the rest into jam.

2. Blueberries. I think the best come from Michigan. I was lucky enough to find a "u-pick" place in season when I visited there a few years ago. There are quite a few roadside fruit stands that sell big boxes, which are good too.

I like to harvest my own fruit. It's a calm, quiet hour or two in the sun, with only one's thoughts for company. I can empty my mind, focus on gathering berries, and feel more relaxed than I do doing anything else (well, other than sleeping, though my sleep is often restless, too.) When I'm done, I have some of the simplest yet best food there is.

May 1, 2002 at 2:15 PM Post #50 of 51
Fresh picked wild Oregon Blackberries after the 1st 100deg day in August.

Fresh picked Minnesota apples, (Winesap, McIntosh, or X-37) after the first frost.

Fresh picked oranges and grapefruit off the tree in Florida.

May 1, 2002 at 2:37 PM Post #51 of 51
Growing up in Washington I would say it was

Apples from our orchard
Pears from the orchard

Now I enjoy fresh grapefruit and mangos.

Apples that have been in storage are terrible. Like listening to the headphones that come with PCDPs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back