post your two favorite fruits
Apr 30, 2002 at 7:27 AM Post #31 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by timoteus
Babcock Peach. An old heirloom variety white peach that smells like perfume and is so delicate that when you pick it it will bruise. Impossible to ship and only found in a few backyard orchards. Nearly extinct. I have two trees for making jam.

John River nectarine. Another very old nearly extinct variety. Truly nectar of the gods.

All the tree fruit you buy in the stores has been bred and devoloped for shelf life, color or other characteristics that have little to do with flavor. Thanks for allowing me my little rant.

Reedley, CA "The World's Fruit Basket"

Dude, are you, like, a fruit snob or something?
wink.gif

Apr 30, 2002 at 1:50 PM Post #35 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by blueocp
Im sorry, but NOTHING beats a nice big CALIFORNIA orange on a hot summer day.
very_evil_smiley.gif
Distant second would be either a grapefruit or banana only because of the nutritional value. I am allergic to many types of fruits so some fruits I would like to eat I cant.
frown.gif

A California Orange, aye? I think I would have to go with a Florida Orange over a Californian. They seem sweeter in Florida, while the California seem more tart. But maybe thats just the ones I've gotten. Or perhaps thats what you perfer.

Apr 30, 2002 at 2:59 PM Post #38 of 51
hmmm, only two. Tough choice. One thing is certain though, all fruit tastes best when eaten directly off the tree/bush. Buying fruit from the supermarket when there is a farmer's market anywhere nearby should be a crime.

My personal favs are:

Grapes

Apples

blueberries come in a close third.

Dead last has to be a grapefruit, I'll never eat one of those things again, yuck....

Apr 30, 2002 at 3:17 PM Post #39 of 51
Golden Plums (I found these growing wild at an old homestead in the mountains)

Bannanas

Quote:

originally posted by elipsis:

I was wondering the same thing.

Apr 30, 2002 at 8:26 PM Post #41 of 51
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
originally posted by elipsis:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was wondering the same thing.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, I'm not a fruit snob. I just live smack dab in the middle of the tree fruit industry. Miles of orchards as far as the eye can see. I've picked it, packed it, shipped it, received it, hauled it...for years on end. Used to work 100 hours a week all summer in 110 degree temperatures when I was young and stupid. It's kind of a shame that the rest of the world is not exposed to the best of the best. I've been spoiled on heirloom and experimental varieties of apricot, nectarine, peaches, plums, and grapes. It's hard to eat what is found in the supermarket. Kind of like how it must be hard for someone from South America to eat the green bananas we have in the supermarket.

So I'm not really a fruit snob...More like a soup nazi...No peaches for you.

biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 30, 2002 at 9:25 PM Post #43 of 51
1. Freshly picked mango, preferrably from Tamil Nadu but MUST be from South India.....

2. California Oranges

Apr 30, 2002 at 10:07 PM Post #44 of 51
Grew up with mango trees in the front yard. Couldn't stand them then, can't stand them now.

All California fruit is strictly for marketing. Get some citrus from somebodies yard in Florida, and you'll really know what citrus fruit is supposed to be like.

Try a sprinkle of salt on a fresh grapefruit. Cuts the acid, and it's GOOD.

Key limes make great pie, and remember, "Pi R Round", but Persian limes make great eating. Pick it, wipe it on your pants leg to get the dust off, slice it and shove it in your mouth. Ooh, it's so good.

Florida Avocado's have seeds that are larger than those puny things they call Avocado's in the West.

BTW, if you ever get a chance, go to one of the packing houses in Belle Glade and pick up some fresh veggies. You can't buy them in stores in Florida, except in VERY rich neighborhoods, but they sell them to the BEST restaraunts up North. The absolute best corn and 'maters you ever put in your mouth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back