Post your Photography Here!
Apr 6, 2007 at 4:10 AM Post #901 of 1,784
Here are some dog-fi pics. I wish this was my dog...

zeus1.jpg

zeus3.jpg

Apr 6, 2007 at 4:31 AM Post #902 of 1,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK....time to start showing some of my ventures. First day with my first DSLR!!! So go easy on me....a lot for me to get used to!!
biggrin.gif
Still a lot of features that I have to learn about with the Canon 5D: ie flash photography in particular. The thing that I'm most impressed about DSLRs is being able to change ISO on the fly. This weekend I'll have learned more about the camera and am thinking about going out to a civil war battle field that's near me: has some great scenery.

Good luck with the camera, Davesrose!

After you learn all the basics and controls, make absolutely sure you learn how to use Photoshop well. It is a digital photographer's best friend PERIOD.

Apr 6, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #904 of 1,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After you learn all the basics and controls, make absolutely sure you learn how to use Photoshop well. It is a digital photographer's best friend PERIOD.

Already know Photoshop.....am an illustrator afterall
wink.gif
icon10.gif
Will actually be using the healing brush for what it was intended for now!!! Guess I have to really start studying the users manual to learn more about the controls. Right now, I notice it sometimes doesn't go all the way down on f stops: especially with flash. At least my old manual SLR would let you do a lot, since the only thing its computer could do was figure out aperture. Automation is both a blessing and a curse....I've already found a couple times where I've completely confused the autofocus and just switched to manual.

Apr 6, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #905 of 1,784
Start taking in RAW mode, there's some vignetting you need to fix with that lens. Aperture doesn't go all the way down? what mode are you using? I personally think it's harder to driver a Ferrari for the first time than driving a Honda
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 6, 2007 at 5:17 AM Post #906 of 1,784
Quote:

Already know Photoshop.....am an illustrator afterall
wink.gif
icon10.gif
Will actually be using the healing brush for what it was intended for now!!! Guess I have to really start studying the users manual to learn more about the controls. Right now, I notice it sometimes doesn't go all the way down on f stops: especially with flash. At least my old manual SLR would let you do a lot, since the only thing its computer could do was figure out shutter. Automation is both a blessing and a curse....I've already found a couple times where I've completely confused the autofocus and just switched to manual.

Oh yeah, forgot
smily_headphones1.gif

Well you should have an edge over everyone else already. I expect to see some amazing post-processing within the next few weeks
wink.gif

Apr 6, 2007 at 1:25 PM Post #908 of 1,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Start taking in RAW mode, there's some vignetting you need to fix with that lens. Aperture doesn't go all the way down? what mode are you using? I personally think it's harder to driver a Ferrari for the first time than driving a Honda
evil_smiley.gif

As far as DSLRs go...I do have a lot to learn about their ways of exposing: I'm coming from a model T
icon10.gif
My old camera even had a hand crank film winder
icon10.gif
I figured I'd get the 5D because of its sensor size and make: it's built like a tank and will take me far. It's controls are also like other DSLRs: so I mainly just have to get to know its exposure settings. Since I've only spent a few minutes with it, it's a given that I'm quite a digital n00b
biggrin.gif
Pushing pixels is quite a bit different then pushing grain
biggrin.gif
Late last night I installed the Canon EOS software, and did find out about the joys of working in RAW: looks awesome the way you can adjust saturation and exposure while seeing histogram. But I've got to find out about using the TTL flash though: that was giving me problems in that first photo that has the vignetting. That's the one weak point of a full sized sensor. It's documented in the web forums that the 5D does get vignetting at an ISO of 1600 with a fully open aperture. That photo of the guitar head was snapped after I couldn't figure out the flash, and tried seeing what a very dim indoor hand held shot would look like on a 1600 ISO, 28mm 2.8. Not too bad in this case IMO. As a photo though, I know it needs better exposure. So after I read up on all the modes.....well hopefully you'll see lots of improvement from me
biggrin.gif
Hopefully this thread is open to n00bs so we can document our improvements
icon10.gif

Apr 6, 2007 at 1:51 PM Post #909 of 1,784
ive recently moved from a film based EOS system to a sony dsc-p200 and a canon sd800IS. its been fun learning to bypass inherent limitations in equipment and focus more on composition. some pictures taken with point and shoots:

b36414609.jpg

b36798438.jpg

b32740533.jpg

b30337755.jpg

b10796034.jpg

Apr 6, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #911 of 1,784
One thing I find funny is that Robert mapplethorpe started off by taking technically amazing
macro pictures of flowers, then to move on to technically amazing pictures of deviant sexual
acts. Perhaps he saw some georgia o'keef paintings?

My real question here is; Has anybody tried puting their 35mm film in the oven to let
the infrared heat expose and distort the images on it after it's been exposed, but
before it's prossesed? I'm having trouble finding information on it like oven tempreture and durration.
Any help would be apreciated.

Apr 6, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #912 of 1,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckhaber /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could someone please tell me how i can post pictures when I am restricted to 25kb,there must be a way around this.Thank you Chris

Use a seperate web host. I just use my website to post pictures (when you reply to a thread, you can link to a site to load photos with that landscape looking icon). I'd also be sure to keep the image size down by making sure the jpg is optimized (if you're using Photoshop, it's Save for Web). If you don't have a webserver to upload to, there are some photo hosting services:

http://www.photosharingonline.net/sites.html

http://imageshack.us/

Apr 6, 2007 at 4:18 PM Post #915 of 1,784
Quote:

But I've got to find out about using the TTL flash though: that was giving me problems in that first photo that has the vignetting. That's the one weak point of a full sized sensor. It's documented in the web forums that the 5D does get vignetting at an ISO of 1600 with a fully open aperture. That photo of the guitar head was snapped after I couldn't figure out the flash, and tried seeing what a very dim indoor hand held shot would look like on a 1600 ISO, 28mm 2.8. Not too bad in this case IMO. As a photo though, I know it needs better exposure. So after I read up on all the modes.....well hopefully you'll see lots of improvement from me
biggrin.gif
Hopefully this thread is open to n00bs so we can document our improvements
icon10.gif

What sort of problem were you having with the flash? Was it also giving your some vignetting and blowing out the image? If so, did you have the diffuser on your flash pulled out?

If you have the diffuser pulled out, it knocks the output down some and also widens the flash output to 24mm. Give it a shot and I bet it'll work better for you. Or you could always get a Lightsphere II from Gary Fong. This thing is simply amazing.

That doesn't make sense about the vignetting being ISO dependant either.

It doesn't matter one bit what ISO you are using. Vignetting is NOT caused by a low or high ISO setting. And all of the better cameras today have built-in compensation software for possible pixel vignetting, so that's not a problem. And I know that the 5D doesn't have any problems with pixel vignetting since I've shot with it plenty of times.

Now your 28mm f/2.8 lens is a different story. That lens is known for having some vignetting when wide open at f/2.8 Because you shot that picture at f/2.8 and the 5D is a full-frame sensor body, the sensor is seeing everything the lens is. That's why you're getting vignetting in that pic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back