Post your Photography Here!
May 22, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #1,261 of 1,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh, you know you can't post that kind of photograph without telling us the story!

Best,

-Jason

Nothin' special...just a stunt man show that a guy caught and fire and ran around..
evil_smiley.gif

large.jpg

May 23, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #1,263 of 1,784
What aperture were the last 3 pictures taken at? seems like they can benefit from a little more sharpness.

god damn it, it takes forever for 47stphoto to stock back the nikon mount of the 150mm sigma
mad.gif
I need my lens!

May 23, 2007 at 1:37 PM Post #1,264 of 1,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What aperture were the last 3 pictures taken at? seems like they can benefit from a little more sharpness.

god damn it, it takes forever for 47stphoto to stock back the nikon mount of the 150mm sigma
mad.gif
I need my lens!

The last three pics were taken at f/2.8. I like to play around with shallow DOF and selective focus. The overall softness is actually what I was after, but the choice of plane of focus has a huge effect on the final image. At f/2.8, and near 1:1 magnification, DOF is essentially zero.

The Sigma 150 f/2.8 Macro is in stock at Canoga Camera, which is where I've bought most of my gear.

http://www.canogacamera.com/detail.aspx?ID=9015

May 23, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #1,265 of 1,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have to politely disagree. While looking at the world through utmost sharpness is one way to photograph. There's something to be said about intentional lack of focus/murkiness/blurryness that lends a dreamy abstract quality. I find actually that most pictures that are ultra sharp only really speak to the quality of the equipment and not necessarily the quality of the photographer. But it really is a different approach to the same art...it's like the difference between journalism and poetry.

May 23, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #1,266 of 1,784
It's not about overall focus, as much as whats in focus, those are stunning picks, the use of a very tight DOF makes the focused area just pop out of the picture. Great work.

May 23, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #1,267 of 1,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to politely disagree. While looking at the world through utmost sharpness is one way to photograph. There's something to be said about intentional lack of focus/murkiness/blurryness that lends a dreamy abstract quality. I find actually that most pictures that are ultra sharp only really speak to the quality of the equipment and not necessarily the quality of the photographer. But it really is a different approach to the same art...it's like the difference between journalism and poetry.

Thanks, Oski (and 65535 also). In many of the images I've been doing lately, I have been seeking a more "dreamy abstract quality" to my images. I finally got the Sigma 150 last week, and this is really the lens I've been looking for. The f/2.8 aperture really creates tremendous blur and bokeh, and 150 mm gives you a decent standoff distance. This replaces my beloved Canon FD 200 f/4 Macro, which I have missed dearly, but I just can't make myself shoot film.

I think both approaches are valid, and I do a lot of more traditional deep DOF images as well, mainly because the gear I was using for "macro" work was not suitable for the dreamy look. After a certain point, it sometimes becomes more of an act of recording the flower you saw, a documentary if you will. By using the shallow DOF technique, there is more mood and emotion in the image. You reveal more of the essence of the flower.

Now that I have the right lens, I was able to start experimenting with different techniques. And, now my backyard is a whole new world
icon10.gif
(The first shot was taken last night in my backyard, in fact. This was shot at f/4.5, providing enough DOF to cover the blossom, but still keeping the background soft.)

BTW, I love the line about journalism and poetry.

May 25, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #1,268 of 1,784

Click for more options.

May 26, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #1,270 of 1,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wonderful open symmetry on that last one. Flower photos usually aren't my thing, but that's a particularly good one.

Best regards,

-Jason

Many thanks Jason!

May 27, 2007 at 4:16 PM Post #1,272 of 1,784
May 27, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #1,275 of 1,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by 65535 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
towert7 you are alarmingly good and photography and flower arranging.

Oh thank you, that really means a lot to me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back