Post Your Photography Here #2
May 5, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #10,624 of 15,743

Super Takumar 200mm f4 @ f5.6 (I think)
@Tus-Chan It's good to see others getting into the Pentax brand. Did you get a non-black K-30?
smily_headphones1.gif

May 6, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #10,629 of 15,743
Quote:
Looks neat!  But, it is a tad overexposed.

Indeed, it is high key, but only barely. The histogram actually reads only clipped higlights (to the background) not to the amp itself.

EDIT: Hope I didn't sound like an ass. I've been working until 3:30 AM and tired and irritable as hell.

May 6, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #10,630 of 15,743
It is a very cool image.  Have you tried it with 1/3 EV just to see?
Quote:
Indeed, it is high key, but only barely. The histogram actually reads only clipped higlights (to the background) not to the amp itself.

EDIT: Hope I didn't sound like an ass. I've been working until 3:30 AM and tired and irritable as hell.

May 6, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #10,631 of 15,743
I like the D/A image; the high key pushed-to-the-limit exposure is very popular with product photographers and even some wedding photographers, and I think in the right circumstance it works quite well. I do a lot of my work bright and vibrant as well.

That said, I might try artificially reducing the exposure on the side of the unit just to get some more separation from the white background. When I first look at the image my eye tends to take in the front plate and lump the side in with the background or as an unattached piece, which makes it feel somewhat disconnected. But take my advice as you will - in artistic matters, the artist is always right, and that's you.

---

Nothing too fancy from me because I'm busy preparing for the East Lansing Art Festival on May 18-19. So it's just a squirrel:

85838e80_DTL_1715_S.jpeg

From my back yard.

May 6, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #10,633 of 15,743
Quote:
Looks neat!  But, it is a tad overexposed.

I have to say that I like it as is, but Im a fan of high key product shots when the product allows it.  If I had to get really picky I would second what someone else said and do some selective editing to provide separation for the product and background all the way to the rear of the case.

May 7, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #10,635 of 15,743
Quote:
I have to say that I like it as is, but Im a fan of high key product shots when the product allows it.  If I had to get really picky I would second what someone else said and do some selective editing to provide separation for the product and background all the way to the rear of the case.

Thanks for the comments. This just a review photo so I didn't helicon it or anything. However, the back of the case and the top do not disappear into the background. I wonder if your monitor is a tad bright. Mine is calibrated to the printer I use and the printer shows the back and the front, however the back is fuzzy as I didn't helicon the thing. I've noticed at the print shop that a lot of digital prints look dark and I think it is because people's monitors are too bright. I would go so far as to say they are almost 2x too bright. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back