Post Your Photography Here #2
Mar 29, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #9,736 of 15,768

Quote:
I may have the opportunity for a similar experience soon, if I make up my mind on whether or not I'm going to get a D800. I've always resisted getting an FX body since a great deal of my work is telephoto, so I have a question for people who have used Nikon FX bodies: when you use one in DX mode, how exactly does it work? Is there some sort of red box in the middle to show the image size? Does it crop black to form the smaller viewing area?

The D800 will display framelines to show the cropped area similar to a rangefinder, whereas other Nikon FX cameras mask off the cropped portion of the viewfinder.

Apr 1, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #9,744 of 15,768

Apr 1, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #9,745 of 15,768

Apr 1, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #9,748 of 15,768

mrs. hummingbird allows me to get closed enough
smile.gif

Apr 1, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #9,749 of 15,768

Quote:
Because it's not a big enough step up?

There are even people who are comparing MkII to III and coming up with results that MkII is actually sharper.  Then there are some who are measuring/seeing a slight advantage to Mk III's sharpness, so I suspect the improvements are at most slight to none at reasonable ISO's.  I personally don't shoot at super high ISO's and prefer to introduce lighting, so the high ISO advantage is not that critical.  The 61-point AF points are nice, but I am finding that I still prefer to use a single point/spot AF for maximum clarity and accuracy even with MkIII.  

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=5122.15

It's just that after 4 YEARS of presumably intense R&D since MkII, this is what Canon is giving us with the long-awaited MkIII, at $3500 no less.  Canon's mediocrity is magnified by Nikon D800's strides.  I can buy a slightly-used 5D MkII at around half of MkIII price and bide my time until Canon wakes up and introduce something truly exciting.  Or switch to Nikon 
confused_face(1).gif

Apr 1, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #9,750 of 15,768
Yeah from what I've read the Mark III is an incredible camera.. but so is the Mark II, and there's just not a big enough difference to warrant the huge price increase.

Main differences are improved auto-focus and improved high-ISO performance.. meh.

There's rumors they'll be releasing a new 7D price range body late in the year that's full sensor. Sounds very interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back