Post Your Photography Here #2
Jul 7, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #5,251 of 15,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oy, Baines, how come you don't post anything?

I don't take anything much tbh...
redface.gif

I just don't look at things and think, wow, I could make a great photo out of that!... I know you can take wonderful photos of anything, but it still feels like there is nothing here to take interesting/arty photos of... And I don't particularly enjoy using my camera as much these days, but next year when I can afford to buy a DSLR, I'll be posting like crazy
biggrin.gif

I can't explain it anyway
frown.gif
- Just need to get out and shoot, when I find something interesting and take a good photo (takes some attempts to get back into the swing of it!) i'll be happy... But currently it is pouring with rain all day everyday... Was 35 degrees here last week!
angry_face.gif
- Oh well, I have all day now to take photos if I get back into it! (until I find a summer/part time job - currently impossible
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2deadeyes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks all!

This one is actually sharper than the previous, taken with Zeiss 100mmf2, but kind of hard to tell @ this resolution.

Amazing view!

Jul 7, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #5,253 of 15,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, I wish I could afford the Canon 65mm 1-5x macro len$.. but for now I have to make do with the EF-S 17-85 kit lens.

I personally like how you can see the blue of the sky in the bumblebee's eye in the 3rd photo.
smily_headphones1.gif

The 17-85mm is a pretty sharp and nifty lens, practically everything I shoot that isn't macro is shot with one.
The MP-E 65 is a pretty brilliant piece of equipment, but it's scope is also very very limited.

Jul 7, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #5,254 of 15,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baines93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't take anything much tbh...
redface.gif

I just don't look at things and think, wow, I could make a great photo out of that!... I know you can take wonderful photos of anything, but it still feels like there is nothing here to take interesting/arty photos of... And I don't particularly enjoy using my camera as much these days, but next year when I can afford to buy a DSLR, I'll be posting like crazy
biggrin.gif

I can't explain it anyway
frown.gif
- Just need to get out and shoot, when I find something interesting and take a good photo (takes some attempts to get back into the swing of it!) i'll be happy... But currently it is pouring with rain all day everyday... Was 35 degrees here last week!
angry_face.gif
- Oh well, I have all day now to take photos if I get back into it! (until I find a summer/part time job - currently impossible
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

I see, a sort of 'photographer's block'?

Two things:

One, no photographing will not improve your skills, artistic or technical.

Two, rain is the best, sun is the worst. Brilliant sunshine vs. overcast is the same as a naked flash vs. a flash with an enormous softbox. Rain makes the air clearer, removes al those small invisible particles that makes everything seem flat and lifeless.
Overcast + rain = good dynamics, smooth shadows, excellent contrast and rich colour tones.
So get yourself wet and shoot some!

Pretty pictures, k., but the waterfall in particular illustrates exemplary the evil of sunshine. Upper/right half that is.

Jul 7, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #5,255 of 15,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 17-85mm is a pretty sharp and nifty lens, practically everything I shoot that isn't macro is shot with one.
The MP-E 65 is a pretty brilliant piece of equipment, but it's scope is also very very limited.

Yeah, I'm not complaining, the 17-85 is fine, a little soft IMO, but I like it (only using it MF, not AF). But seeing your MP-E 65 pics gives me the itch... not that I can justify paying for a macro lens the same price my 40D + 17-85 costs...
wink.gif

I simply love the insanely shallow DOF (micrometers?!) that's in some of the photos you posted here. You're doing these pics professionally? Biology/university/etc?

Jul 8, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #5,257 of 15,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I'm not complaining, the 17-85 is fine, a little soft IMO, but I like it (only using it MF, not AF). But seeing your MP-E 65 pics gives me the itch... not that I can justify paying for a macro lens the same price my 40D + 17-85 costs...
wink.gif

I simply love the insanely shallow DOF (micrometers?!) that's in some of the photos you posted here. You're doing these pics professionally? Biology/university/etc?

At 5x and f/2.8 DoF is 0.048mm, that's 48 micrometres.
tongue_smile.gif

It can be a blessing, but it can also be a pain in the butt, both that you just get a little part of your object in focus, and that if you move the camera 48 micrometres to or fro you miss focus completely.
Not shooting professionally, but I hope my biology studies will help me in putting it to something more than just personal use.

Jul 8, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #5,259 of 15,743
Actually, going through my camera from the last fishing trip (trying to figure which fish were mine and which my buddy's!) I found a couple I just snapped after unhooking a carp on the unhooking mat behind the scene in the photos.

With a little quick editing (in ACDSee) of the exposure curve (can't go as far as I want to without getting red/green dots everywhere when editing the levels I noticed recently... Used to be able to go as far as I liked with them?
confused.gif
) and a little blurring to remove the oversharpened look the exposure curve edit caused... Result is good I think, seem to have the Agnostic style painting look in the long grass and greenery I think
biggrin.gif
- I personally prefer the portrait one. I have the original of the landscape one if you want a fiddle, but accidentally overwrote the portrait original one!
redface.gif

Comments and criticism welcome. Thanks for all the tips by the way all!

P7040183e.jpg

Brad, the Reading one is only a 30min train ride away, and only has a few people, but I'm concerned i'll be the only one there who isn't a seasoned pro/adult, and/or won't see anything I can make a good shot out of, while all the others will be carrying DSLR's, and full tripods? Maybe one of them would have recently upgraded their gear and might sell me a DSLR cheap
tongue.gif

Matt

Jul 8, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #5,261 of 15,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baines93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Brad, the Reading one is only a 30min train ride away, and only has a few people, but I'm concerned i'll be the only one there who isn't a seasoned pro/adult, and/or won't see anything I can make a good shot out of, while all the others will be carrying DSLR's, and full tripods? Maybe one of them would have recently upgraded their gear and might sell me a DSLR cheap
tongue.gif

Based on what my friend has told me, I expect most people will bring a DSLR, but they are mostly not pro (a few might be hardcore amateurs). Since it's a "walk" and it's outdoors, I don't expect to see many tripods (I'll bring my pocket tripod, but not my full one). Most will be adults, but don't worry about that. I'm going on one and I don't own a DSLR. Assuming they arrive at my local shop, I'll take a look at the new Olympus before then, but unless I decide to buy one right away, I'll be bringing my trusty Canon A630 P&S with me. Heck, I'll probably also bring along a film pinhole camera made from a candy tin - the far end of the low-tech and low-cost spectrum.

Just go, have fun, and don't feel like you have to prove yourself to anyone. If it makes you feel more comfortable, scout out the location ahead of time - my recent posts were from a trip to the location for the walk I'm attending.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back