Post Your Photography Here #2
Oct 23, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #3,286 of 15,743
2954622793_2381999429_b.jpg

2955559582_210c5521f8_b.jpg

2955561816_b937aef30a_b.jpg

Oct 23, 2008 at 4:57 AM Post #3,287 of 15,743
AudioDwebe, I think it's safe to say you blew out those reds in the last picture. (Sadly, almost all the detail is lost when that happens).
^_^

Oct 23, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #3,288 of 15,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know Raptor84 does the most pet photos, but I've started volunteering at my local humane association to help them take the pictures to post on the internet. They were really excited at the offer, so that made me feel even better about being able to help! Today was the first visit to meet some of the staff and take a few pictures. I've discovered just how hard it is to take pictures of untrained pets! I take pictures of my 2 dogs all the times, but they actually understand commands like sit, down and, most importantly, stay.
tongue.gif

That being said, here are a few of the ones that aren't too bad IMHO, but I'd love feedback. If you have any experience in this area and can offer advice, I'd love that too.

I'm going to start visiting twice a week. Hopefully I can help these cuties get adopted faster.

Its great that you are starting out with volunteer work. I had most of my practice early on helping out at a shelter too.

I noticed you are using a d80? What you can do is DONT use the built in flash as it really makes everything look harsh and unflattering for the animals. Bump up the ISO and shoot as wide open as you can for ambient light(aperture priority). If possible take them outdoors or near a window with more natural light.

Composition wise you are doing quite well with good subject isolation but for the dog photos it would help if you could get all the way down to their eye level. Don't be afraid of lying or sitting down if it helps get the shot. I normally wear clothes that wash easily when i do these kinda shoots
biggrin.gif

Oct 23, 2008 at 5:56 AM Post #3,289 of 15,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by raptor84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I noticed you are using a d80? What you can do is DONT use the built in flash as it really makes everything look harsh and unflattering for the animals. Bump up the ISO and shoot as wide open as you can for ambient light(aperture priority). If possible take them outdoors or near a window with more natural light.

Composition wise you are doing quite well with good subject isolation but for the dog photos it would help if you could get all the way down to their eye level. Don't be afraid of lying or sitting down if it helps get the shot. I normally wear clothes that wash easily when i do these kinda shoots
biggrin.gif

That's great advice: Never be afraid to get down and dirty, you'll be surprised by the results. But I owned the D80 and the ISO performance was terrible beyond 640 IMO.

Oct 23, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #3,290 of 15,743
Completely OT but I'm digging your avatar with the KFC bucket.
biggrin.gif

Reminds me of this random dude in NYC with a Kingsford charcoal bag over his head covered in ashes. Wish I had a camera back then. Random nuts like that just kills me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #3,291 of 15,743
1907070-2-lost.jpg

Oct 23, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #3,292 of 15,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know Raptor84 does the most pet photos, but I've started volunteering at my local humane association to help them take the pictures to post on the internet. They were really excited at the offer, so that made me feel even better about being able to help! Today was the first visit to meet some of the staff and take a few pictures. I've discovered just how hard it is to take pictures of untrained pets! I take pictures of my 2 dogs all the times, but they actually understand commands like sit, down and, most importantly, stay.
tongue.gif

That being said, here are a few of the ones that aren't too bad IMHO, but I'd love feedback. If you have any experience in this area and can offer advice, I'd love that too.

I'm going to start visiting twice a week. Hopefully I can help these cuties get adopted faster.

Good work! Hope your shots will help getting them to good homes.

I think you are having some problems with your DOF in shots 1, 3 and 5. Portraits should normally be shot with sufficient depth of field to have the whole face (or head as the case may be :p) in focus.
Not sure what kind of lens you are using but try shooting at least f/5.6 or f/8. Moving a little farther back from the subject would also help getting a bit more DOF.

If you can manage without flash in the available light that would be good, as has been mentioned direct flash tends to flatten the image and make things look harsh.

Oct 24, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #3,294 of 15,743
perfect

Oct 24, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #3,295 of 15,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvessel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Completely OT but I'm digging your avatar with the KFC bucket.
biggrin.gif

That guys name, literally, is buckethead. He's a crazy guitarist.

Oct 24, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #3,297 of 15,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanTheMiataMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Portland MAX? Or Hillsboro? Or Beaverton? or totally off base?

Portland - Collins Circle/Goose Hollow
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
perfect

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back