Post Your Photography Here #2
Sep 29, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #3,016 of 15,743
I really like the second one as well as the last one roastpuff, what lens did you use?

Thanks for the kind words, I have some shorter exposures but yeah I posted the one with the trail.
smily_headphones1.gif

Both pictures were taken at 100 ISO with an f-stop of 16 (the max for my sigma 50mm). The first picture was 124s in length and the trail was created from a plane. The second picture was 120s in length and the trail was created by a helicopter. I quite like long exposures I'm going to see if there is anything I can do to reduce the noise but if not I may need to upgrade my XSi to the 5D mk ii
wink.gif

Sep 29, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #3,017 of 15,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by devin_mm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the kind words, I have some shorter exposures but yeah I posted the one with the trail.
smily_headphones1.gif

Both pictures were taken at 100 ISO with an f-stop of 16 (the max for my sigma 50mm). The first picture was 124s in length and the trail was created from a plane. The second picture was 120s in length and the trail was created by a helicopter. I quite like long exposures I'm going to see if there is anything I can do to reduce the noise but if not I may need to upgrade my XSi to the 5D mk ii
wink.gif

[size=medium]Dew[/size] [size=large]it!![/size]

Did you have to use a ND filter?

Sep 29, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #3,020 of 15,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=medium]Dew[/size] [size=large]it!![/size]

Did you have to use a ND filter?

You people are terrible at getting me to spend money
very_evil_smiley.gif
I'm trying to get myself not to buy one but I think it's a futile battle.
The only filter I used (and own for that matter) is the B+W UV Haze filter I keep on the end of the lens for protection.

Sep 29, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #3,021 of 15,743
Quote:

very_evil_smiley.gif
The only filter I used (and own for that matter) is the B+W UV Haze filter I keep on the end of the lens for protection.

I f anyone asks tell them we made you do it!!!
wink.gif

Sep 29, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #3,022 of 15,743
Quote:

I really like the second one as well as the last one roastpuff, what lens did you use?

That would be my Sigma 30mm f1.4. In fact, all eight (and most of the pictures I took this weekend) were taken with that lens. It's such a lovely lens (when you get one that focuses well) so it stays on my XSi a lot. f1.4 is just so addictive, too!

I assume you have the Sigma 50mm f1.4, as well? How's that working out for you?

Quote:

very_evil_smiley.gif

Buy eeet! B+W filters rock and are so easy to clean, though they are mighty expensive. Even at HVStar.net they're still 30% or more expensive than Hoya/Kenko.

Dazzer, thanks! I'm still trying to improve my composition though... I don't have an eye that's nearly as good as some of the people in this thread or some of my other friends.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 29, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #3,023 of 15,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buy eeet! B+W filters rock and are so easy to clean,

That would depend on which B+W filter you buy.

I have a Multi Coated B+W polarizer, and let me tell you, that is the HARDEST thing to clean, and keep clean. "special coating to resists dust" my @$$. It attracts dust like you wouldn't believe, and holds on to it for ever! And try and clean it.............. ohhhhhhhhhhh it's awful!

When it is clean though, it works real well!

Sep 29, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #3,024 of 15,743
B+W multi-coated filters do seem a bit expensive, but so are the top "HD" Hoya filters. Thank goodness I'm only using 67mm lenses. Even then, I tend to go for the cheaper Hoya Pro-1 Digital HMC ones... I can't justify spending more on a piece of glass than the lens itself
biggrin.gif

I'm really jealous of you guys with Sigma 30/50 F/1.4s... I just ordered a Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 (the Sigmas being a bit too expensive just now), knowing that it probably isn't that sharp wide-open. Anyhow, I figured I'd give the non-aspherical design a try. Word has it the bokeh is very nice despite the non-curved blades.

Sep 29, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #3,025 of 15,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
B+W multi-coated filters do seem a bit expensive, but so are the top "HD" Hoya filters. Thank goodness I'm only using 67mm lenses. Even then, I tend to go for the cheaper Hoya Pro-1 Digital HMC ones... I can't justify spending more on a piece of glass than the lens itself
biggrin.gif

I'm really jealous of you guys with Sigma 30/50 F/1.4s... I just ordered a Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 (the Sigmas being a bit too expensive just now), knowing that it probably isn't that sharp wide-open. Anyhow, I figured I'd give the non-aspherical design a try. Word has it the bokeh is very nice despite the non-curved blades.

B+W are expensive. You're paying for that "Made in Germany", but if you can afford it they are really well made. The Germans sure make them good. So, if you are going to buy a filter you'll use a lot, then the extra money is well spent. So, if you were going to get a 78mm Polarizer for use on all of your lenses.......
Get one, and use step up rings so it can be used on all lenses. Then you can sleep at night not worrying about how much it cost. ^_^

You got a Nikon 50mm F/1.4? I'm so jealous.
There's more to a lens than optical quality, and any Nikon owner will tell you that when they choose a Nikon over a budget 3'rd party lens. Yuck, I can't even stand to think about budget off brand lenses.

Sep 29, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #3,026 of 15,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I assume you have the Sigma 50mm f1.4, as well? How's that working out for you?

I love my Sigma 50mm 1.4 sure it was more money than the Canon and is monstrously huge in comparison but the pictures it produces are so nice and smooth, I don't have anything to show off from it other than the two long exposures since I'm still getting the feeling for it. It makes me want to get rid of my zoom lenses and use only primes.

You guys will be happy to know that I put my deposit down on a 5D mk ii though there is no guarantee that I will get it before I leave for Amsterdam (Dec 17th I can't wait).

Sep 30, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #3,030 of 15,743
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

wink.gif

As much as I admire the 5D Mk2...It seems improbable, but I wished they had left out the video recording and slid another Digic4 processor in there just for the sake of achieving 6-7fps on a medium format pic
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back