Post Your Photography Here #2
May 6, 2021 at 12:02 AM Post #14,851 of 15,743
Now that you mention it, it does look a little flat. Bringing the shadows down definitely helped.
DSC01473.jpg

Looking at the trees on the right I feel like I might have overdone it here though. Is it just my imagination?

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 2:18 AM Post #14,852 of 15,743
Now that you mention it, it does look a little flat. Bringing the shadows down definitely helped.
DSC01473.jpg

Looking at the trees on the right I feel like I might have overdone it here though. Is it just my imagination?
No, you haven't overdone it. Those trees should not be competing with the main point of interest, so they don't have to contain fine details. Keeping them a bit darker makes them serve as a subframe for the main subject.

May 9, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #14,855 of 15,743

Been playing around with post processing; there's a varying degree within these pictures, with the last having the heaviest. It's a little difficult, because I can't justify buying Light Room, as I'm doing this just as a hobby. I'm instead using Dark Table, which seems great, but there's a somewhat limited amount of learning material out there for it.

Any constructive feedback would be appreciated!
I like your edit better, the version in post #14,849 looked like it was underexposed and had a “Sony” feel to it (I might be crazy, might have the wrong camera).

More concrete notes: The eye is drawn to contrast... so the silhouette of the nearest tree on the left edge, and the higher contrast in the leaves of the middle ground leaves dominate my attention. If you could select the central trees and make them have less light-to-dark contrast like the two far right most trees, then they might seem less detailed and prominent. Hard to tell without experimenting. I do like that the grass along the bottom is dark with shadow, so that lends credence to bifcake’s theory that the trees will stand out less if they were darker.

The mountain is your main subject, right? Or is it the juxtaposition of the mountain and that shed and rust-red wall? I might try selectively lowering the tree contrast, maybe adding a bit of saturation in the red channel to make that fence “pop” a bit more (or not), making the most of the fact that the lens focus and sharpest detail is on the middle ground.

I like Affinity Photo... one time purchase, and the iPad version is great and easy to doodle/work with.

May 9, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #14,856 of 15,743
I think I had taken the picture a little bit underexposed to try to pull some extra detail from the snowy mountain; it was so bright it made really nailing down an ideal exposure difficult for me. You hit the nail on the head with the Sony feel, though, it's an a7 III. I've not been super pleased with the colors that come straight out of the camera, and that's one of the main things that has pushed me toward learning post processing.

May 9, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #14,857 of 15,743
I think I had taken the picture a little bit underexposed to try to pull some extra detail from the snowy mountain; it was so bright it made really nailing down an ideal exposure difficult for me. You hit the nail on the head with the Sony feel, though, it's an a7 III. I've not been super pleased with the colors that come straight out of the camera, and that's one of the main things that has pushed me toward learning post processing.
I get ya... Panasonic also used to have these sorta underexposed, blue-y dull look too, but they’ve iterated and now the colors look a bit more brilliant. The sample photos for their newest Mirrorless cameras are better than my G85... but mine aren’t bad. I always thought Olympus did color science really well, and made great JPEGs.

I hear you about underexposing to save some snow detail on the mountain... it’s not easy! I probably would have made the same choice, and I applaud you for taking exposure comp into consideration for your shot!

Sorta related (but I’m not perfect, also way out of practice), I saw the moon looking HUGE through the window of my new house, and I had to take the old tripod and my camera out. I can’t decide if I like the blue or purple tint more, or if I should massage the raw more, but I think it’s clear I won’t get any mood detail without transposing two exposures or cut/pasting the moon 😉

73911658-C458-4836-8197-B8A75531D5F0.jpeg

AC05264E-3DA5-4FBA-99A8-870E14D51DC7.jpeg
3E72980E-2AB5-4A3A-9D24-049EC1323144.jpeg

Feel free to tell me how I could make it better 😅 Eventually I want to pick a “final” version.

Last edited:
May 12, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #14,858 of 15,743
One of our last jobs.
Very proud of the final result. :)
Looks even better in nature.
Wasn't the best light conditions that day.

sketch-1620848175775.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back