Post Your Photography Here #2
Jun 15, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #13,576 of 15,760

My brother and his fiancee are on a shoestring budget after buying a house  (2nd marriage for each) and I am shooting their wedding for them this weekend. It will be my first time so wish me luck. I know they will be happy with whatever I turn out but I would really like it to be memorable for them and do it justice.
Going in with my SONY Alpha, bag full of lenses (2 primes and 4 zooms), three batteries and 2 memory cards just in case and a back up point and shoot in case of catastrophe and or something were to happen.

Wow, I just noticed you do Ophthalmology Photography. That used to be my thing. Do you guys have a Zeiss Photo-slit-lamp? Are you doing Fundus camera work?

Jun 15, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #13,577 of 15,760
Wow, you have a tilt-shift lens! All kidding aside, that sucks. Hopefully you can get it replaced with no problems.

[rule]
Haven't had time for shooting or editing. Took a small break and churned this out. Slight faux bleach bypass look.

I think this turned out great. If I saw this, maybe framed a bit differently in a magazine, I wouldn't bat an eyelash. The BG also really works with the model hair and outfit IMO.

Kind of like the first image, too.  Hope you don't mind, but I copied the small jpeg above and processed it a bit more.  Obviously, results would be better with 
original images, preferably RAW :)

18207204839_091e6d6976_b.jpg

Thank you!!
Definitely don't mind.

I have a tendency to keep my photos low key and can't bring myself to make that kind of edit. Posting from mobile but I'll see if I can snag some time behind the laptop this week and upload the Raw. I'd love it if you could give me a bit of background on what you did/would do in this sort if situation.

Just wanted to say I really like this shot.

Jun 16, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #13,578 of 15,760

Wow, I just noticed you do Ophthalmology Photography. That used to be my thing. Do you guys have a Zeiss Photo-slit-lamp? Are you doing Fundus camera work?

We have a different type of slit lamp camera that will mount on most slit lamps but my primary ophthalmology photography is far and away fundus photography and fluorescein angiography. Funny how digital photography has changed the field. Back in the early 90's I built my own darkroom and developed my own film and did my own enlargements as well as time is of the essence but with digital everything is immediate and post production (contrast, sharpen, filters etc) have been game changers. Even longstanding fundus cameras have adopted mounts and software integration to use modern digital cameras. Currently I use a Topcon fundus camera base unit fitted with a Nikon D7100 mounted to it. What is really neat is that I will take an angiogram in my photography room and the results will be projected onto a wall in the laser room behind the patient so that the doc can just glance up from the laser and have a roadmap on the wall for him to follow.

Edit:pS I can see by the RNFL sheen that the above fundus is from a young pt probably in their teens or twenties.

Jun 16, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #13,579 of 15,760
We have a different type of slit lamp camera that will mount on most slit lamps but my primary ophthalmology photography is far and away fundus photography and fluorescein angiography. Funny how digital photography has changed the field. Back in the early 90's I built my own darkroom and developed my own film and did my own enlargements as well as time is of the essence but with digital everything is immediate and post production (contrast, sharpen, filters etc) have been game changers. Even longstanding fundus cameras have adopted mounts and software integration to use modern digital cameras. Currently I use a Topcon fundus camera base unit fitted with a Nikon D7100 mounted to it. What is really neat is that I will take an angiogram in my photography room and the results will be projected onto a wall in the laser room behind rthe patient so that the doc can just galnce up from the laser and have a roadmap on the wall for him to follow.

I used to develop the Tri-X and print the contact sheets in the mid 1980s. Swedish Hospital in Washington State had the first digital camera for fundus that recorded on write once laser-disks the same size as laser-disk players in 1986. I didn't use thongs and totally screwed up my finger-nail matrix for about 25 years. It has just recently returned to normal from those chemicals.

That's cool that the technology has changed. I got out of the field in 1990. Still I went back and the hospital had all the same lasers that they had purchased 10 years earlier. I would guess that much of the eye laser technology with the fundas has maybe changed the most in the late 1980s. I just think that because the hospital could have any equipment they wanted but still had their YAG and Dye Laser from the late 1980s?

Fundus is cool because it is one of the only diagnostic forms of photography in the medical field if you don't count X-Rays as photography. I'm glad you enjoy the field, it's one of the highest paying jobs in medical photography.

Jun 16, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #13,580 of 15,760
I used to develop the Tri-X and print the contact sheets in the mid 1980s. Swedish Hospital in Washington State had the first digital camera for fundus that recorded on write once laser-disks the same size as laser-disk players in 1986. I didn't use thongs and totally screwed up my finger-nail matrix for about 25 years. It has just recently returned to normal from those chemicals.

That's cool that the technology has changed. I got out of the field in 1990. Still I went back and the hospital had all the same lasers that they had purchased 10 years earlier. I would guess that much of the eye laser technology with the fundas has maybe changed the most in the late 1980s. I just think that because the hospital could have any equipment they wanted but still had their YAG and Dye Laser from the late 1980s?

Fundus is cool because it is one of the only diagnostic forms of photography in the medical field if you don't count X-Rays as photography. I'm glad you enjoy the field, it's one of the highest paying jobs in medical photography.

OT: Yeah, the Yag and Argon lasers haven't really changed that much in decades but the imaging techniques have. We now have OCT, ocular coherence tomography, which is essentially a specialized CT scan for the eye and many diseases we used to use lasers for, mostly as an ablative destructive procedure to keep things from spreading, now have alternate therapies, many of which can actually treat or address the underlying conditions and improve vision and have an effect on the disease.

Jun 16, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #13,581 of 15,760
OT (sorry) - Is this the same type of photography used to look for diabetic retinal neuropathy in diabetes patients? That's really cool and really important to millions of people. :)

Jun 16, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #13,582 of 15,760
OT (sorry) - Is this the same type of photography used to look for diabetic retinal neuropathy in diabetes patients? That's really cool and really important to millions of people. :)

Well it is not off topic because we're talking about photography. They do use photography to document a condition called neo-vascularsation where there is a new growth of blood vessels due to the loss of oxygen from diabetes.

The veins can grow right into the macula central nerve area of the eye. They look at the change in the photos. Where he works they do panretinal laser to destroy some living tissue around the outer fundus area which less O2 is used thus no more new vascular system triggers go to the putiary gland.

Jun 16, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #13,583 of 15,760
As stated yep. known as diabetic retinopathy. Essentially there are two types - Non-proliferative diabetic retinopathy NPDR (previously known as background diabetic retonapthy  ) and proliferative diabetic retinopathy PDR. PDR is the one where neo-vascularization occurs and typically requires the pan-retinal photo-coagulation (PRP) laser treatment consisting of hundreds of micro laser burns in the periphery. This works by destroying peripher retinal tissue (which also destroys peripheral vision) and by doing so it reduces the oxygen demand of the eye which is what triggers the neo-vascularization. Essentially robbing peter to pay paul but your sharpest central vision is more important hence what is primary to save.

I find it interesting that in colorectal cancer the same neo-vascularization occurs and they isolated the cause known as Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) and anti-VEGF meds (VEGF blockers) were developed to treat it. Wet, also known as exudative, age-related macular degeneration (ARMD/AMD) is caused by a similar pathogenesis and those anti-VEGF drugs were refined for ocular use and now used to treat wet ARMD and stop and regress vascular growth. The genesis has also proved to be the same in diabetic retinopathy and now those drugs are also being used to treat diabetic macular edema (swelling due to faulty blood vessels and vessel leakage) so less laser is needed than previously and some patients can avoid having to have focal laser (pin point central vision laser) and also some reduction in PRP lasers.

Jun 17, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #13,585 of 15,760
Another style of photography is the 8x10 view camera diffusion transfer process.

http://printwiki.org/Diffusion_Transfer

The film is a little slow but you can have prints in under 10 minutes. The prints are 8x10 because they are a direct transfer from the negative. Polaroid actually perfected the process and it is the same thing when you see the Polaroid print get squished together before coming out of the camera. The first type of Polaroid cameras you had to use chemical sticks and spred it on the film then sandwich the papers together until the image transferred across.

You still see these big old time 8x10 view cameras used by artistic portrait photographers at rare times and they have them at local carnivals for old-time group portraits.

You go into a red light darkroom and load your plates. After putting them in the camera you remove a metal plate on a handle which exposes the film to the inside of the camera. The plate with the edge handle in put back to protect the film from light till you get to the dark-room for processing.

Jun 17, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #13,586 of 15,760

It can be pretty easy to forget how big cameras used to be. The fact that they were lugged all over with only enough plates to get the job done.

Jun 17, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #13,588 of 15,760
From my series: Missing in the Night

I will be shooting Part 2 soon.

Jun 18, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #13,590 of 15,760

Users who are viewing this thread

Back