Post Your Photography Here #2
Jun 29, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #9,992 of 15,743

Mini yellow watermelons and green oranges.

Jun 29, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #9,993 of 15,743
More from my recent trip up north:

44413fea_sBear_07.jpeg

1242ee3d_sBear_10.jpeg

368f18b2_sBear_09.jpeg

04500b66_sBear_08.jpeg

More pictures can be found at my website than I'm going to post here, but I'll probably do a few more of my favorites.

I've also entered in the One Life photography contest, so if anyone else is part of that you can put in a vote for (or 'collect', as it's called) my portfolio after following the link in my signature. If you don't want to, that's fine as well.

Jul 1, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #9,998 of 15,743

I love my 480mm

My process is really simple for doing these type of portraits. I relax and just look for people in good lighting areas as I feel the light is 90% of the shot. The next thing I do shoot a bunch of shots as people are always moving and changing their facial expressions and angles. I will set the white balance for shade, plus a level of red to add warmth. I shoot with a 480mm lens so I keep my iso at 800 to keep the shutter speed at 1/400 at about F5.6 to F4.0. I don't use photo shop now but just use the jpegs out of the camera as I think they look better.

102550100 NestedThreadedFlat Oldest FirstNewest First

[size=9pt]
Edit

[size=13.5pt]~LowKeyReality[/size] [size=8.25pt]6 minutes ago[/size]

I read about this guy doing wedding portraits. He stated not using the raw files but only the jpegs out of the camera, un tweaked. He then explained how he always edged the white balance to get him some natural warmth. I though he was crazy and could not believe how I could live with-out my raw data and photo shop. I was not sure how to consistently warm up the white balance in every light? In the end though he was right. 

Now I know why he is one of the most in-demand wedding photographers in America.

[/size]

Jul 1, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #9,999 of 15,743
Quote:
My process is really simple for doing these type of portraits. I relax and just look for people in good lighting areas as I feel the light is 90% of the shot. The next thing I do shoot a bunch of shots as people are always moving and changing their facial expressions and angles. I will set the white balance for shade, plus a level of red to add warmth. I shoot with a 480mm lens so I keep my iso at 800 to keep the shutter speed at 1/400 at about F5.6 to F4.0. I don't use photo shop now but just use the jpegs out of the camera as I think they look better.

102550100 NestedThreadedFlat Oldest FirstNewest First

[size=9pt]
Edit

[size=13.5pt]~LowKeyReality[/size] [size=8.25pt]6 minutes ago[/size]

I read about this guy doing wedding portraits. He stated not using the raw files but only the jpegs out of the camera, un tweaked. He then explained how he always edged the white balance to get him some natural warmth. I though he was crazy and could not believe how I could live with-out my raw data and photo shop. I was not sure how to consistently warm up the white balance in every light? In the end though he was right. 

Now I know why he is one of the most in-demand wedding photographers in America.

[/size]

An interesting view, although I disagree with it. It probably works better for portrait work than the kind of photography I typically engage in, however - modern cameras are already optimized quite well for human subjects. I view taking a straight out-of-the-camera JPEG much the same as using an automated development process instead of artistically developing the film yourself. You lose a lot of potential to bring out your vision of the final print.

Jul 1, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #10,000 of 15,743

Jul 3, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #10,003 of 15,743
Been a while since my phone was used at all.

Slightly edited 1080p wallpaper from a picture taken inside the British Museum

Unedited stuff, do click it so you can see:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back