Post Your Photography Here #2
Dec 31, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #9,241 of 15,758
Another reason to use macro lenses for other pictures than macro in perticular is that they are very sharp. The drawback is slow autofocus. A cheap way to get into macro is the sigma 50mm or 105mm. They're both cheap, and really sharp.

Dec 31, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #9,242 of 15,758

Quote:
 A cheap way to get into macro is the sigma 50mm or 105mm. They're both cheap, and really sharp.

The Sigma 70mm f2.8 Macro is probably the sharpest among the already-sharp Sigma Macro lenses.  I really do miss the Sigma 70mm, as it was light, relatively cheap, sharp at every aperture, and also had a GREAT buttery bokeh.  I do believe it to be sharper than my Canon 100L macro!

My Sigma copy had issues with autofocus in live view, so I had to return it, but if can find a copy I can test before buying, I will likely pick up another copy in the future..  Check out Sigma's bokeh in this shot at f2.8.

5463808310_d21f5ebb7e_z.jpg

Dec 31, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #9,244 of 15,758

Quote:
What type of macro lens do you guys advise on photography like this?

to take shots like that; more importantly than having a great macro lens you need to frame the perfect shot. You need great colour, lighting, framing, but most importantly something unique in the shot. Its very hard to take shots like that, you might take around 300 shots and only 1 might be perfect. You have to wait for the perfect moment and be very patient.

Also if you click on their pictures, some of them state the lenses used.

Dec 31, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #9,245 of 15,758
Quote:
to take shots like that; more importantly than having a great macro lens you need to frame the perfect shot. You need great colour, lighting, framing, but most importantly something unique in the shot. Its very hard to take shots like that, you might take around 300 shots and only 1 might be perfect. You have to wait for the perfect moment and be very patient.

Also if you click on their pictures, some of them state the lenses used.

Its was like when i was talking shots at night of deear with my tele, it look me 15 min just to change me lens,etc and at least another 10 to get it dialed in. Im think thats too much time, and is something i need to do quicker. I know its all about that 1 moment, but thats really hard to get unless your a pro.

Dec 31, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #9,246 of 15,758

Quote:
Its was like when i was talking shots at night of deear with my tele, it look me 15 min just to change me lens,etc and at least another 10 to get it dialed in. Im think thats too much time, and is something i need to do quicker. I know its all about that 1 moment, but thats really hard to get unless your a pro.

yeh, you need ALOT of time to go shooting pics, for example, i like to take landscapes and stuff, and few days ago i went to the lake district which is really nice to take some landscapes however the weather was bad, there wasnt any great sun light and even with no sun light there wasnt great mist or something similar to compensate and the thing is i only went for 2 days and had only around 9 hours all together to take my shots. To get great landscape shots i wouldve had to stay there at least 2 weeks. But i think i got some good ones for the 8 hours i was there (posted 3 of them on page 615 here)

Dec 31, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #9,247 of 15,758

Quote:
Nothing really, but when i think of "macro" i like to think of highly magnified pictures like of ants,flowers,etc. I understand all you have to do it dial a macro lens back a bit to get a "picture" and not so macro, but that's my $.2.

Usually macro lenses are fixed focal lengths, so their optical quality is usually quite good.  That would be a reason to use one for everyday photography.  My little 60mm macro lens has almost no barrel distortion to speak of, which is another benefit for some instances. 

Dec 31, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #9,248 of 15,758

Quote:

The cool part about photography is that there are no real rules at times. In school we had folks spending a day setting up close-up photography shots. They would even go home and come back the next day just hoping a Janitor did not bump their project. I did not have that type of patience. Some of my best shots were with a Nikon 100mm Macro lens and extension tubes. I was on the four hour plan. It would take me hours just to get the tripod reversed, when you run the camera mount head up threw the bottom of the tripod, and my subjects ready. I would at times do macro way beyond 1:1 with all the extension tubes. If I had a good 35mm slide scanner I could post the images. One way to save time is to use a TTL flash, and bounce it. Now days the process is way faster as you know what you get right away. We would take lots of shots only hoping to get a great one. Now you can stop after you see your great shot. With TTL flash metering you can hold a flash directly on top of your closer than 1:1 subject in the studio. No need for fancy lighting and you get great results. I would also place the TTL flash at different angles and reflect the light. You can use colored paper to get a colored reflectance. We had a super expensive Bogen Macro Light table which had a light box with all these funny colored projector lamps on arms to move around. No one would use the thing. 

Remember too that if you don't have patience in some parts of photography you probably do other stuff fast and efficient . I actually found a great job while I was still in school. I worked in a dark room printing Black and White Photographs. They hired me because I was fast and had quality in my work.

I still have no patience in my photography and don't spend more than a minute of two on a shot. I do plan photographic events and at times spend hours to get to a place to photograph. Soon I will be placing camera gear into waterproof bags and going down a whitewater river. It will take part of a day to get to the location but the photographs will take seconds. No patience is an attribute at times. Thank-God were not painters.

Dec 31, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #9,249 of 15,758
Quote:
Can't view the EXIF info.  Which "setup" is that, bunch of extension tubes and/or one of those Raynox lens attachments?  I really like the extension tubes on Canon 70-200 II, but going 1:1 will take a ton of them and the consequent light loss!

I figured you might not be able to - I think NX2 has a way of destroying EXIF data, or maybe it's Noiseware Pro. The setup I was using:

70-200 f/2.8 VR II - TC-20E III 2x teleconverter - 36mm extension tube - 20mm extension tube - 12mm extension tube.

The problem is that the 70-200 VR II focus breathes like a *****, so getting macro performance out of it is quite difficult. I think the lens alone has a maximum reproduction ratio of about 1:8. If I had the earlier VR I version I wouldn't have the same problem, but it doesn't focus as close, so I'd have a different problem.

This shot was taken at ISO 3200, f/14, 1/250 second at 140mm (widest setting with the teleconverter) in available light provided by an incandescent lamp. I had the lamp on the side away from me, of course. I find that the light loss isn't really all that bad (although that exposure works out to an EV of 16, the original shot was noticeably underexposed, and the D7000 is more sensitive at a given ISO than other Nikon cameras).

Dec 31, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #9,250 of 15,758
Quote:

The cool part about photography is that there are no real rules at times. In school we had folks spending a day setting up close-up photography shots. They would even go home and come back the next day just hoping a Janitor did not bump their project. I did not have that type of patience. Some of my best shots were with a Nikon 100mm Macro lens and extension tubes. I was on the four hour plan. It would take me hours just to get the tripod reversed, when you run the camera mount head up threw the bottom of the tripod, and my subjects ready. I would at times do macro way beyond 1:1 with all the extension tubes. If I had a good 35mm slide scanner I could post the images. One way to save time is to use a TTL flash, and bounce it. Now days the process is way faster as you know what you get right away. We would take lots of shots only hoping to get a great one. Now you can stop after you see your great shot. With TTL flash metering you can hold a flash directly on top of your closer than 1:1 subject in the studio. No need for fancy lighting and you get great results. I would also place the TTL flash at different angles and reflect the light. You can use colored paper to get a colored reflectance. We had a super expensive Bogen Macro Light table which had a light box with all these funny colored projector lamps on arms to move around. No one would use the thing. 

Remember too that if you don't have patience in some parts of photography you probably do other stuff fast and efficient . I actually found a great job while I was still in school. I worked in a dark room printing Black and White Photographs. They hired me because I was fast and had quality in my work.

I still have no patience in my photography and don't spend more than a minute of two on a shot. I do plan photographic events and at times spend hours to get to a place to photograph. Soon I will be placing camera gear into waterproof bags and going down a whitewater river. It will take part of a day to get to the location but the photographs will take seconds. No patience is an attribute at times. Thank-God were not painters.

Interesting! I appreciate you telling your story. What photography school did you go to? Why did it take the students so long to set up there shot? Was it long exposure, or just making the perfect still life with proper background,etc? I could imagine going with Peter Lik on a photography trip and just setting it up for hours. I watched a few of his shows, too bad they aren't in HD, and he spoke about coming to a particular spot and coming at certain times of the day for that one shot. Macro is totally different because you have the liency of time to set up a shot, unless its an animal. 

Jan 1, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #9,252 of 15,758
Quote:
Eh wot? All the ones I've watched have been in HD.

Really? Your in Michigan, whats your cable provider? Ive got Charter and my Weather Channel isn't on HD... I'll double check, and record some no matter what the final verdict is.

Jan 1, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #9,253 of 15,758

Quote:
Interesting! I appreciate you telling your story. What photography school did you go to? Why did it take the students so long to set up there shot? Was it long exposure, or just making the perfect still life with proper background,etc? I could imagine going with Peter Lik on a photography trip and just setting it up for hours. I watched a few of his shows, too bad they aren't in HD, and he spoke about coming to a particular spot and coming at certain times of the day for that one shot. Macro is totally different because you have the liency of time to set up a shot, unless its an animal. 

I went to a two year program at a community college called the Bio-Medical Photography Program. The Community College was Bellvue Community College in Washington State. You received an AA degree which it being an occupational course, allowed you to get a job right after graduating. Some folks would become crime scene photographers other would work at hospitals. I was not really into photographing any gory stuff and did my internship in a museum.

We would do a type of technical photography of small objects and photography though microscopes. We did normal portrait lighting. Our classes included some pre-med anatomy and physiology as well as technical writing with 80% just spent on all types of photography. MIT and Brooks may give courses in the subjects now. I landed a good job in a hospital after graduation.

The students who took days were just photographing coins and maybe pieces of bone or fossils. They just worked that way and the photographs were like paintings and had every detail. They might leave the set-up and go back and rephotograph it even after doing an enlargement and still feeling like they could improve the photograph, reshoot it again. Some people are just incredibly meticulous and there are times in life for those types to excel at photography. A wedding or newspaper photographer or maybe a photojournalist needs to be fast acting and not spend less than a moment taking the shot. So there are both types who find their place in the field.

Jan 1, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #9,254 of 15,758
Quote:

I went to a two year program at a community college called the Bio-Medical Photography Program. The Community College was Bellvue Community College in Washington State. You received an AA degree which it being an occupational course, allowed you to get a job right after graduating. Some folks would become crime scene photographers other would work at hospitals. I was not really into photographing any gory stuff and did my internship in a museum.

We would do a type of technical photography of small objects and photography though microscopes. We did normal portrait lighting. Our classes included some pre-med anatomy and physiology as well as technical writing with 80% just spent on all types of photography. MIT and Brooks may give courses in the subjects now. I landed a good job in a hospital after graduation.

The students who took days were just photographing coins and maybe pieces of bone or fossils. They just worked that way and the photographs were like paintings and had every detail. They might leave the set-up and go back and rephotograph it even after doing an enlargement and still feeling like they could improve the photograph, reshoot it again. Some people are just incredibly meticulous and there are times in life for those types to excel at photography. A wedding or newspaper photographer or maybe a photojournalist needs to be fast acting and not spend less than a moment taking the shot. So there are both types who find their place in the field.

A museum i would definitely rather take over a hospital. What museum was it? Do you have photo's from than? With such students that were so meticulous and dedicated to the perfect frame by frame shot, im not sure i would be a candidate for such a thing. Also i wasn't able to really view those shots on 1x.com, but on Chrome i am. So more power to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back