Post Your Photography Here #2
Jun 15, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #5,011 of 15,758
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now this I like Agnostic. You make it look like a painting.

Thanks!

7641777_a1175df173_o.jpg

Jun 16, 2009 at 7:56 AM Post #5,014 of 15,758
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baines93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You sure do... That one even looks sort of like the Kenyan bush oil paintings my dad has.

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

The way I post processed these last two photos developed out of a style of post processing to make photos look like old Lumiere Autochromes (which I love). It brings out the different colors (and colorshifts them a bit) in a photo and gives a somewhat desaturated yet contrasty look.

Here are a few Lumiere Autochrome examples from the Musee Albert Kahn which is located in a Paris suburb and which houses what is probably the largest collection of early color photographs on the planet. (Haven't been there, but I will go some day.)

Italy.jpg

Greece_1.jpg

WW1_1.JPG

Jun 16, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #5,017 of 15,758
@ Film users: I just bought a Nikon FM in mint condition but know nothing about film. I plan on buying some Velvia today, but want to know what you guys use / prefer; especially for black and white photography. The camera won't arrive for another 5 days or so, giving me time to research film types and development services.
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #5,018 of 15,758
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ Film users: I just bought a Nikon FM in mint condition but know nothing about film. I plan on buying some Velvia today, but want to know what you guys use / prefer; especially for black and white photography. The camera won't arrive for another 5 days or so, giving me time to research film types and development services.
biggrin.gif

Some widely used popular b&w films are:
Kodak Tri-X 400
Kodak T-max 400
Ilford HP5+
Fujifilm Neopan 100 Acros

I haven't shot any of those except Tri-X 400 but mine expired 27 years ago so I guess that does not count :p

My personal b&w favourites so far are:
Rollei Retro 100 (identical with Agfa APX 100). Has a very special tonality which I like very much.
Fomapan 400
Fuji Neopan 1600

If you are going to develop b&w at home, Diafine is very easy to use, almost foolproof. As long as you shoot your films at the recommended Exposure Index almost nothing can go wrong.

Jun 16, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #5,019 of 15,758
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Mr. Motox,
May I suggest that you keep it simple (initially). Go to Wal-wart and pick up some Kodak Ektar 100, shoot it, give it back to w-wart for processing. You will get prints, negatives and CD.

Jun 16, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #5,020 of 15,758
Quote:

@ Film users: ....

My local photo shop stocks Kodak and Delta for B&W (Kodak and Fuji for color), so I've been using Kodak Tri-X 400 for 35mm and Delta 100 for 120 film in my cameras. I'll have to try out some of the Delta 35mm next time I buy film - I have liked the Delta for 120. I'm also curious to try and Kodak TMax and see what it's like compared to the Tri-X.

They develop the negatives for me while I wait on most days (unless it's really busy and they have a back-log). I may get into doing my own sometime, but I haven't made that leap yet.

Jun 16, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #5,021 of 15,758
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some widely used popular b&w films are:
Kodak Tri-X 400
Kodak T-max 400
Ilford HP5+
Fujifilm Neopan 100 Acros

I haven't shot any of those except Tri-X 400 but mine expired 27 years ago so I guess that does not count :p

My personal b&w favourites so far are:
Rollei Retro 100 (identical with Agfa APX 100). Has a very special tonality which I like very much.
Fomapan 400
Fuji Neopan 1600

If you are going to develop b&w at home, Diafine is very easy to use, almost foolproof. As long as you shoot your films at the recommended Exposure Index almost nothing can go wrong.

I don't have the space to make a darkroom, so for now I plan on sending whatever film I shoot to NCPS in California for development and scanning. I didn't think it was possible to development slide film at home, anyways.

As for black and white film, where do you find your Rollei Retro 100? It seems to be out of stock everywhere from Amazon to B and H.

Jun 16, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #5,022 of 15,758
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronin74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mr. Motox,
May I suggest that you keep it simple (initially). Go to Wal-wart and pick up some Kodak Ektar 100, shoot it, give it back to w-wart for processing. You will get prints, negatives and CD.

I rather like the warm color rendition and sharpness of Velvia; and I figure slide film and print film will be of equal simplicity if I plan on using an external developing and scanning service.

Jun 16, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #5,023 of 15,758
Quote:

I don't have the space to make a darkroom, so for now I plan on sending whatever film I shoot to NCPS in California for development and scanning. I didn't think it was possible to development slide film at home, anyways.

As for black and white film, where do you find your Rollei Retro 100? It seems to be out of stock everywhere from Amazon to B and H.

It's a pity but I think the last stocks may be running out. I know a place here In the Netherlands where you can still order them and I recently bought 50 rolls on Belgian ebay for a very good price which are still in the mail. No idea where to get the in the US though.

Here's a sample:
7513794_e67000866d_o.jpg

Jun 16, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #5,024 of 15,758
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a pity but I think the last stocks may be running out. I know a place here In the Netherlands where you can still order them and I recently bought 50 rolls on Belgian ebay for a very good price which are still in the mail. No idea where to get the in the US though.

Here's a sample:
http://static.zooomr.com/images/7513794_e67000866d_o.jpg[img][/i]
[/td] [/tr] [/table]

Yeah, it's really too bad. I've always loved the look of your black and white images.

Jun 17, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #5,025 of 15,758
I took this insect macro picture yesterday. I saw it hovering around the flowers and then it stopped to sniff the flower. Luckily I was able to snap a few shots of it. Not sure what insect it is though.

Comment and critiques are welcome.

Bees.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back