Post Your Photography Here #2
Feb 26, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #4,126 of 15,743
Quote:

Might want to stop down more to get a little more DOF IMO

Quote:

The slightly too shallow dof in the butterfly pic does make it more special, focus doesn't seem 100% perfect, but the dof and sheer visual nicety of the colours in the background and the butterfly's wings, they make the shot work I think

It is definitely interesting to hear the impressions of this photo and others, which is why I like reading this thread and post my photos here.

Personally, I do not always want to do the typical shot with a focus on a creatures eyes (which is why I was criticized for this shot) or with a deep dof to capture more detail when I have the focus where I want it (although, it is a bug, so you take the focus you get). In other words, I feel, breaking from the standards can sometimes be interesting.

As an example, the picture below has the bird in the middle of the frame, not really focused, not much contrast, etc.. However, it tells more of a story than some of the more technically better shots I have taken:

original.jpg

That being said, I still like to hear the critiques to give me ideas of stuff I can try in the future or to make me a better photographer. So keep 'em coming.

Feb 26, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #4,129 of 15,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by uofmtiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, I do not always want to do the typical shot with a focus on a creatures eyes (which is why I was criticized for this shot) or with a deep dof to capture more detail when I have the focus where I want it (although, it is a bug, so you take the focus you get). In other words, I feel, breaking from the standards can sometimes be interesting.

The eye thing is a rule of thumb and can be broken
biggrin.gif
I've done it many times as well but I still find most of the time (maybe because my images tend to cater to mainstream tastes =p ) it looks better with the eyes in focus
wink.gif
I believe I have posted a few images with the focus on other parts of the dog's face
biggrin.gif

Quote:

That being said, I still like to hear the critiques to give me ideas of stuff I can try in the future or to make me a better photographer. So keep 'em coming.

I'd keep the bird in the middle but corp of the top such that it looks liek the 2 branches on eitehr side kinda 'frame' the bird . I think the lack of contrast and that drop of water splashing off the bird's head seem to set the atmosphere well.

Feb 26, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #4,130 of 15,743
Quote:

It is definitely interesting to hear the impressions of this photo and others, which is why I like reading this thread and post my photos here.

As an example, the picture below has the bird in the middle of the frame, not really focused, not much contrast, etc.. However, it tells more of a story than some of the more technically better shots I have taken:

http://www.pbase.com/uofmtiger/image...8/original.jpg

I agree. My favorite part of this thread is what I learn about the photos and reading how different people see each picture differently. Like below...

Quote:

Originally Posted by raptor84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The eye thing is a rule of thumb and can be broken
biggrin.gif
I've done it many times as well but I still find most of the time (maybe because my images tend to cater to mainstream tastes =p ) it looks better with the eyes in focus
wink.gif
I believe I have posted a few images with the focus on other parts of the dog's face
biggrin.gif

I'd keep the bird in the middle but corp of the top such that it looks liek the 2 branches on eitehr side kinda 'frame' the bird . I think the lack of contrast and that drop of water splashing off the bird's head seem to set the atmosphere well.

I actually like the wider composition. It adds a sense of isolation or aloneness (is that a word? lol) to the bird. If you cropped the image, it would still be interesting, but like uofmtiger said, it tells a story this way. If it were cropped, I might think it was a short lived moment that happened to get captured with the camera. The way it's posted, you get a sense that the bird is stubbornly determined to wait out the storm on his chosen, although poorly, perch.

I totally respect your opinions though Raptor. You are my role model for dog and cat photography. Please don't take this as me saying your wrong
wink.gif
I'm just explaining my different take.

Speaking of dog and cat photography. Here is a couple from this week's trip to the Humane Association.

DSC_2268.jpg

DSC_2317.jpg

They are both stray's so I don't have their names. If you live in the area, they are available to go home with you now
wink.gif

Feb 26, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #4,131 of 15,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks wet, and a little bit too fixed. Especially the highlights look kind of funky.
Would you mind posting the original?

I will see if I can find it later. Don't hold your breath, though. I may have discarded the original. The shot was taken a while back.

Here are a few more from the same day:

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Feb 26, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #4,133 of 15,743
I should mention that when I took the shot of the first bird I posted, the rain was coming down so hard you could barely see, much less get a technically great photo.

Quote:

actually like the wider composition. It adds a sense of isolation or aloneness (is that a word? lol) to the bird.

This is exactly why I did not crop it to get more bird and less stormy weather.

Feb 26, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #4,134 of 15,743
I've always hated the word rule as it pertains to photography. Try to consider compositional techniques as guides at best - starting points on which to develop a more free-spirited gauge of photographic quality.

Feb 26, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #4,137 of 15,743
À propos rules of Photography, I think you can easily paraphrase george orwells famous rules and make them relevant:

Never use a metaphor, simile, or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print.
Never use a long word where a short one will do.
If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out.
Never use the passive where you can use the active.
Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word, or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent.
Break any of these rules sooner than say anything outright barbarous.

Feb 27, 2009 at 7:57 AM Post #4,139 of 15,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sideman7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I looked though some of my photos to find something interesting...

Here is what appears to be a slightly pissed off kitty:
Pissed720.jpg

It's actually the end of a yawn...

this looks like men when I am upset loool!

you guys are very very good in photography...please continue photograpohing and posting beatutfil pictures!

by the way I had some requests to put back my picture lool is there a "introduce yourself" thread? I dont want to put it here because it is not the good place

Users who are viewing this thread

Back