Post Your Photography Here #2
Jan 28, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #3,916 of 15,743
*most* people, when doing macro work, use manual focus.

If you are worried about being too close to the insect, you just use a longer focal length macro lens (100mm +).

Yes, 6mp+ will do you fine. Certainly consider the canon and nikons. Actually, there are a few differences that may make you prefer one brand over the other, especially in terms of their camera bodies. It would be worth a trip to your local camera shop to try them out, feel them, see which feels better built, which feels the most comfortable to you in your hands (again, going back to the 'makes taking pictures more fun'). The last thing you want is a camera that takes nice pictures but is a pain in the butt to hold.

Jan 28, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #3,917 of 15,743
Wil, your subjects never look happy...
~_~

Jan 28, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #3,918 of 15,743
When I said manual mode, I meant manual exposure not focus. Although, I use manual focus at times when auto focus just doesn't work.

You can use old manual lenses on Nikon cameras, but some functionality doesn't work. I'm not sure what functionality because I got rid of my manual lenses a long time ago. I think there's one other brand that you can use manual lenses on, but I can't remember which. You can't on Canon.

One feature that must be on any SLR I buy in the future is the self cleaning sensor. I've had real problems getting some dust off of my D100's sensor.

Jan 28, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #3,919 of 15,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wil, your subjects never look happy...
~_~

gosh. You just made me realize that!

Hm..i wonder why! ):

Jan 28, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #3,920 of 15,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
gosh. You just made me realize that!

Hm..i wonder why! ):

Well, I shouldn't say never... but most.

I was curious myself. Do you just stay in a room with a person and wait to take a picture, or do you instruct them in some way?

Technically the pictures are very good. Easily something I would expect to see in a book.

Jan 28, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #3,921 of 15,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baines93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that that sounds reasonable. The only time i would miss auto focus would be when doing macro. Moving your hand too fast towrds the lens to focus wouls scare the insect, no?

I think for now my only true requirements are large range of old and new lens use (AF and non-AF), in case dad lests me borrow his old 35mm lenses.

I want 6mp+, auto bracketing for HDR (love HDR) (not on D40
frown.gif
) and what else would you reccomend?

Maybe time to look at entry level Canons, or one model up in the D-series?

Matt

Lenses will always have a greater impact on picture quality and camera versatility than the camera itself. Personally, I'd buy a DSLR compatible with the lenses your dad already owns - you'll end up saving hundreds of dollars in the long run and gain significant flexibility immediately.

All AI and later lenses from Nikon (essentially, from 1977 on) will work natively on the company's DSLR bodies. With modification, Nikon's cameras can accept a range of lenses starting from the late 1950's. You won't have metering on Nikon's prosumer models, but it's easy enough to "guess and check" with digital; eventually, you'll be able to gauge the lighting of a scene and select a correct exposure.

Sony uses Minolta's lens mount, and its DSLR's can use most of the company's old AF and MF lenses. Pentax also has a long heritage of film lenses that work just fine on its DSLR bodies. Canon is a bit more limited in this sense, because it redesigned its lens mount in the 1980's to accommodate autofocus motors.

Assuming your dad will let you borrow his lenses, look into a DSLR that can use them properly.

Jan 28, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #3,922 of 15,743
If only the D40 had auto bracketing
frown.gif

EDIT: Yeah, i'll have to see. His would be 70's- early 90's, and I think my late grandfather had some 60's-late 70's lenses that I'm sure I could have. I'll have to wait for it to come up in convo, cos knowing my Dad, he will think i'm being stupid. I just want to enjoy taking photos, and with the C770 I dont anymore. I've reached its limit on my BEST shots I think.

I got about £220 for my b'day, and maybe have another £25 to come. I might wait until I have a saturday job, then I can be sure I will be able to spend half my savings on probably a D40, and then have the money coming in for sure to save for a car. A D40 with kit lens is only £245 new from amazon, so not too bad. Anyway, my dad doesnt think i'm sensible with moeny, but really I am too sensible I think, I mean, why not just go buy it! I have the money, I've planned how to get my savings, and its my money! Too sensible?

Jan 28, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #3,923 of 15,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I shouldn't say never... but most.

I was curious myself. Do you just stay in a room with a person and wait to take a picture, or do you instruct them in some way?

Technically the pictures are very good. Easily something I would expect to see in a book.

Thanks for the kind compliment Towert.

I have never instructed my subjects to pose in any particular manner.Sometimes i just alert them of my presence and wait for the moment that i think is most apt to snap, or at most ask for permission to take their pictures.

I think i've figured out why my pictures are mostly taken in that manner. Perhaps it's my education. I'm majoring in Sociology. The human condition is something that i find, in general at least, rather interesting. People that don't usually get represented in the mainstream , or in some cases, places that are ignored; they are usually points of interest for me.

These subjects are, to me, almost akin to a physical and material manifestation of the cracks and crevices of human society. The folds and creases in the social fabric in which i find photography a fascinating tool because it provokes and suggests so much in just a simple photo.

Jan 28, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #3,924 of 15,743
Quote:

frown.gif

I almost never use auto bracketing and the D40 has the same exposure compensation button as the D100 has. You press that button and turn the wheel and it does plus or minus 5 EV. It's simple and once your used to it, almost as fast as automatic. Speed almost never matters because you'll probably never do it with a fast moving object.

It's the little button with the plus and minus sign
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond40/page6.asp

Jan 28, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #3,926 of 15,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This was a quick shot that I just found on my camera of my nutty cat Max at Christmas...hangin' out in the tree.

Haha, lovely cat.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #3,927 of 15,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the kind compliment Towert.

I have never instructed my subjects to pose in any particular manner.Sometimes i just alert them of my presence and wait for the moment that i think is most apt to snap, or at most ask for permission to take their pictures.

I think i've figured out why my pictures are mostly taken in that manner. Perhaps it's my education. I'm majoring in Sociology. The human condition is something that i find, in general at least, rather interesting. People that don't usually get represented in the mainstream , or in some cases, places that are ignored; they are usually points of interest for me.

These subjects are, to me, almost akin to a physical and material manifestation of the cracks and crevices of human society. The folds and creases in the social fabric in which i find photography a fascinating tool because it provokes and suggests so much in just a simple photo.

That would explain it!

Jan 28, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #3,928 of 15,743
Quote:

frown.gif

EDIT: Yeah, i'll have to see. His would be 70's- early 90's, and I think my late grandfather had some 60's-late 70's lenses that I'm sure I could have. I'll have to wait for it to come up in convo, cos knowing my Dad, he will think i'm being stupid. I just want to enjoy taking photos, and with the C770 I dont anymore. I've reached its limit on my BEST shots I think.

I got about £220 for my b'day, and maybe have another £25 to come. I might wait until I have a saturday job, then I can be sure I will be able to spend half my savings on probably a D40, and then have the money coming in for sure to save for a car. A D40 with kit lens is only £245 new from amazon, so not too bad. Anyway, my dad doesnt think i'm sensible with moeny, but really I am too sensible I think, I mean, why not just go buy it! I have the money, I've planned how to get my savings, and its my money! Too sensible?

I guess it depends on where you stand in your life.

If you plan to go to college in a couple of years and stay there for 4 years, you may not need a lot of cash. If you plan to go into the working world, and get a car and an appartment........ yikes, save save save!

I was going to college, and decided to take on two little part time jobs. It was enough to fund my little headphone and camera hobby.

The hobbies helped me enjoy my time at college more so I say it was money well spent, even though my mom says otherwise.

Jan 28, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #3,929 of 15,743
Ah, thats reassured me Scompton. i was worried that it would take time to change exposure, and by then the shot would have changed too much to make a good HDR. Anyone here using a D40? Chime in? HDR's?

Yeah, I would love to go out and work, but I know its silly, so I'm continuing Economics and Business, and taking Physics (enjoy it as much as chemistry, but will be useful for plumbing, which i did for work experience, and had the best week of my life). I am also taking computing (which will teach me some more about how computers work - nitty gritty - a little HTML etc.). I did want to continue ICT, but my school's sixth form only does computing, which I will enjoy, although ICT would have been better for my CV, when trying to get a job in plumbing to get money and experience. Anyway, to most it will look like just IT anyway on the CV. Good spread anyway, if I change my mind. But currently, business, and plumbing. Photography will stay as a hobby, i think. I dont plan to go to university, however if I have changed my mind about what I want to do after sixth form, i might consider it - but more time in schooling is a real disadvantage to me, I want to get out into the real world, i am a practical person.

Anyway, I have work with my work experience employer, who took me on after the week was up, but he doesnt work at weekends often. My friends dad says he will employ me, catering, but there is less work that needs more hands in the winter, so - Tesco's here I come! (also, the money is also really only for a car, and insurance, say £2-3k)

Matt

Jan 28, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #3,930 of 15,743
Quote:

frown.gif

The new D40 kit lens is fine in terms of image quality. Personally, I find the D40 slightly limiting in its lack of in-body motor, but you won't care as long as you stick to AF-S lenses.

As far as auto-bracketing goes: I dabble with HDR's, and though my D200 has an auto-bracket feature I rarely use it. As Scompton has said, you can easily toy with your camera's exposure (over, or under exposing) by simply turning the command dial left and right.

Because the D50 and D40 use a similar sensor, both sell for around $250 (175 pounds) on the used market in good condition. If you're willing to settle for less-than perfect looking gear, I'm sure you can get yourself either for closer to $200 (140 pounds).

Here's another idea: some recent pocket cameras offer attractive zoom ranges, wide apertures, decent high-iso performance, and solid build quality. If you don't want to drop close to 300 pounds on a full DSLR system, pro-sumer pocket cams are certainly a good compromise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back