Post Your Internet Speed : )
Jul 28, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #212 of 254

Jul 29, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #213 of 254
Quote:
In a couple months when the new google fiber is out our internet speeds will look like crap xO

Yeah I'm in KCMO, but right outside the first coverage area (I-40 area only or something and I'm right outside :p) but I'll get it when I can, hopefully by the end of this year.

Jul 29, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #214 of 254
Yeah I'm in KCMO, but right outside the first coverage area (I-40 area only or something and I'm right outside :p) but I'll get it when I can, hopefully by the end of this year.

Aha ;P
You're so lucky!
I get a whole 18mbps and that's a high end speed here in Canada (though I can get slightly better, it also costs a lot more).

Jul 29, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #215 of 254
Yeah, Google's internet is going to make mine look slow as anything. I could get 305 mbps download speeds, but that is $299.95/month.

Jul 29, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #216 of 254
Quote:
Aha ;P
You're so lucky!
I get a whole 18mbps and that's a high end speed here in Canada (though I can get slightly better, it also costs a lot more).

I have AT&T U-verse and get 12mbps (which is what's advertised, thankfully; well usually around 11 but still close as you can get to advertised speeds here most likely)

Yeah those higher speeds are expensive (for us - have you seen Europe? My god, symmetrical 100mbps is like 15 euros/month!!). What was mean was when Verizon FiOS sent me flyers in the mail advertising 25 and 50mbps speeds (heaven for me) and then my address wasn't in the coverage area! RAAGEE!
angry_face.gif

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #217 of 254
I have AT&T U-verse and get 12mbps (which is what's advertised, thankfully; well usually around 11 but still close as you can get to advertised speeds here most likely)

Yeah those higher speeds are expensive (for us - have you seen Europe? My god, symmetrical 100mbps is like 15 euros/month!!). What was mean was when Verizon FiOS sent me flyers in the mail advertising 25 and 50mbps speeds (heaven for me) and then my address wasn't in the coverage area! RAAGEE! :angry_face:

Ah! That sucks.

I'm supposed to get 18mbps download (usually get around that) and 1mbps upload but my upload speeds are like, 20kb/s >.>

Jul 29, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #219 of 254
Quote:
Ah! That sucks.
I'm supposed to get 18mbps download (usually get around that) and 1mbps upload but my upload speeds are like, 20kb/s >.>

I used to get that from Road Runner/Time Warner Cable, but they have this thing called "Turbo Boost" that ups the speed for the length of small downloads, and I assume speed tests are as such. I download things faster and load webpages and YouTube and everything faster on my 12mbps U-verse than I almost ever did on TWC 18mpbs haha!! I bet I was getting less than 12mbps without the Turbo Boost thing. Or maybe they throttle...who knows

Aug 24, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #221 of 254
Quote:
We just got a new fiber connection at our office...  
L3000.gif

That upload speed is insane. I get around those same downloads, but I am lucky if i get 20 Mb/s uploads. 

Aug 25, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #222 of 254
Quote:

That upload speed is insane. I get around those same downloads, but I am lucky if i get 20 Mb/s uploads. 

TW Telecom has a local office fairly close to our office.  We are also right down the street from the Citrix office where they run GotoMeeting, and Lockheed & TI have offices next door.  UC Santa Barbara is only a couple of miles away.  We are surrounded by gobs of bandwidth and TW Telecom made us an offer we couldn't refuse!

Aug 26, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #224 of 254
Nice, youngngray! I always thought they might have only a piece of that dedicated to the dorms or something, or are you somewhere else on campus, or is that the piece? :wink:

I'll post once I get Google Fiber, hopefully before the end of 2012.

Aug 26, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #225 of 254
google fiber is going to be interesting - I really do hope it is as good as it sounds.  Is google actually running all their own fiber, or are they using local loops from other providers?  I did see some early test results that really weren't all that impressive.  http://gigaom.com/2012/07/31/google-fiber-in-the-real-world-heres-whats-good-and-what-needs-work/

The guy in that article is clearly fairly clueless about networking technology, but the speedtest was interesting.  I hope they can do better for you than 180 down/45 up with a 39ms ping!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back