Post Your Internet Speed : )
Jul 6, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #196 of 254
I do not want to make my country look like barbarian tribes by the explanation i've made... so i'm sorry.
it can look much mote awful to you than it is because of your easy access to internet, how ever the university conmections are so much better and our uni.s got conmected to internet 1 year after birth of it, the limits are made to normal people( i mean people with no special education or job)

Jul 6, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #197 of 254
14.35mbps
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #200 of 254
Dallan, click the insert image icon on the editor - it looks like a small house with a sun over it inside a box.

I never can get the speedtest site to properly parse the images for me, but my results are a fairly consistent 25-30mbps down and 5 mbps up. It's a crying shame - I miss my fibre line and 100 full duplex service (and no, there's no good reason for that).

Jul 14, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #201 of 254
Tell you i was getting 7-9 down and 1 up so this is great.  7-8 was better than i had previously on DSL by a long shot.  This was an upgrade to cable to get it to 7-9 down and now paying more, ridiculous much more and hardwired to laptop with ethernet too and got it all the way up to 20 down, I'm not sure what you were getting before or where you are but this is the best i can find in Los Angeles....unless you are paying hundreds for a T-1 or something.  What i have is the highest priced cable that you can get now.

Jul 14, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #202 of 254
Tell you i was getting 7-9 down and 1 up so this is great.  7-8 was better than i had previously on DSL by a long shot.  This was an upgrade to cable to get it to 7-9 down and now paying more, ridiculous much more and hardwired to laptop with ethernet too and got it all the way up to 20 down, I'm not sure what you were getting before or where you are but this is the best i can find in Los Angeles....unless you are paying hundreds for a T-1 or something.  What i have is the highest priced cable that you can get now.

T1's are slower. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T1_line

My fibre line was forked from an OC trunk, overall it was probably something like an OC-24 (so the 100M limit was Ethernet, not the overall line, and it would saturate). My current service is just DOCSIS with a new modem that gets me into that ~30mbit when the node isn't overloaded. Nowhere near as exotic, and there's a consumer bandwidth transfer cap (of course they don't tell you this in the initial agreement).

Jul 15, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #204 of 254
Yeah i think the top speed offered is 20 here and i am getting just over that.  My old cap was 10 but it was only just over $50. a month and the 20 is much more.:frowning2:

What's nuts is, you live in LA (or near it) - a huge metro area in the US. I live out in the sticks, and have cheaper and faster Internet service. Explain that one. :confused_face: :basshead:

Jul 15, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #205 of 254
Go figure.

And you think that's bad, you should have seen my verizon DSL speed before i changed.  My top download on sites that now routinely give me about a meg a second and sometimes two were under 200kbps.

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #208 of 254
It's fast enough most of the time, but it depends on how many bars I have lit on my wireless modem.  Cable is calling...

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #210 of 254

I pay around $16/month (paying for 6Mb/s, but they don't give a discount!). If I was living outside the USA I'd probably get quadruple that speed for the same price.
I previously got 15Mb/sec with cable, but I switched to DSL to save money. Even with cable most websites would not let me download over 650kb/sec so what's the point?

When HD movies get more popular I will upgrade. I can stream HD just fine through Amazon Instant Video.
What's stinks is how slow Wireless routers are when you have them in a basement and your TV is upstairs.

BTW my first modem was 2400bps. I was stuck with dialup until I moved to a bigger city many years later.
I wonder if there exists any area in the USA where highspeed internet is not available? Probably remote areas of Montana and Alaska?
normal_smile%20.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back