Post Your Fishing Exploits (or just comment)
Aug 28, 2009 at 4:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

nickosha

100+ Head-Fier
So I went salmon fishing for the first time this year with my dad and 2 of his friends. They are far from the biggest salmon, but they were fun to reel in. Two of them were hooked less than a minute apart and my dad and I pulled them in. I think they are the top two.

salmonfishing002.jpg

We never actually weighed them, but the guy who took us out estimated around 11lb, 13lb, and 15lb.

Aug 28, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #3 of 12
how do you eat all those?
I was also wondering, lets say if I go deep sea fishing and land a 100lbs sailfish, do we get to keep the fish? and what do we do if we do get to keep it?
Fillet it and put it in the fridge?

Aug 28, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by y3110w /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice catch! I've always wanted to fish but I'm very unfamiliar with it. My granddad does have a fish pole, maybe if go back home I could ask them to go fishing.

btw, sorry for my ignorance but what kind of salmons are those?

I'm not too sure if there are different species or varieties, but these were caught in Lake Michigan so they're that kind
tongue_smile.gif
You need a lot more than just a fishing pole to catch salmon, although a fishing pole and live bait is one of the best ways to catch fish like bass or perch. Yeah these salmon were actually caught at 80ft, 120ft, and 140ft so just a fishing pole would definitely not do.
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how do you eat all those?
I was also wondering, lets say if I go deep sea fishing and land a 100lbs sailfish, do we get to keep the fish? and what do we do if we do get to keep it?
Fillet it and put it in the fridge?

Well the salmon we fillet up and then we usually cut the fillets into halves or thirds so we can freeze them in gallon bags. About sailfish though, I have no idea. I've only been fishing on the ocean once, and then all we caught were sea bass, red snapper, and a small shark.

Aug 28, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #5 of 12
The last time I fished was over thirty years ago. It wasn't a pleasant experience either. Was playing hooky and the truant officer spotted us. Since then, the chase has been on...
biggrin.gif

Aug 28, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #6 of 12
Went out the other weekend and caught a 33", 12lbs redfish. Sadly had to throw it back because it was oversized.

Aug 29, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #8 of 12
I fish a good bit.

I understand where sea monster mythology comes from. I saw enormous alligator gar rolling about 5 years ago. They were close in and there were dozens in this particular cut. I'm am not exaggerating. The largest was over ten feet long. Freakin' Nightmarish looking creatures. They look like they'd eat your face. I've not seen anything like it since.

I saw this episode of River Monsters . The gar the host found were tiny in comparison.
River Monsters : Alligator Gar : Animal Planet

Strangest fish I ever caught was a Brown Pelican. I was "on" the trout one day.The pelicans circled above and would dive bomb the bait fish and shrimp.
The boat was crowded so I had to cast over handed instead of side arm which launched the lure about 20-30ft in the air. On one particular cast a pelican snatched up my lure in midair. Oh sh!t. The bird landed in the water and we had to get the hook out of its mount. The bird was oddly calm. We used the trolling motor to ease up to him, threw a towel over his head and put him in the boat. There happen to be an ichthyologist on board, but since I caught a bird he was as useless as nipples on a boar hog. The hook came out easily. No damage. The weird thing was the bird just hung out in the boat for a while. He was cool. Oh, Brown Pelicans are huge up close. This one had about a 5ft wing span.

Aug 30, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you mean oversized? I thought you only throw the juvenile ones?

In my area, a legal redfish can only be up to 27"

Aug 30, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #10 of 12
I just smoked over 50 pounds of Arctic Char caught less than 200ft from my front door.

Aug 30, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #12 of 12
I posted this story before about a hand fishing attempt. Here it is after a little cleaning up:

. A bud and I hit a hole ooutisde Kingisher, Oklahoma, real small town America. Anyway, we spent a hour scouring the bed in about 4-5 feet of murky water, real red dirt Okie water, so thick you couldn't see your limbs but a foot from your face. The search involved your hands and thrusting them in holes baiting cats or whatever else might like a bite. So I stuck my hand in one crevice, then something swallowed my hand, scraped its teeth along my wrist and bit the crap out of my forearm. I was submerged at the time and have never felt so disorientated. The pain sent me spinning under the surface for what felt like an eternity. Finally I emerged gasping for air with blood gushing about two inches above the wrist. I still have a scar on my left knuckle as a reminder.

It scared the bejesus out of me, so I decided to leave hand fishing to the good ole boys from then on. I can't say what the creature was but, but friends have told me it was probably a Musky Catfish, since mid-american flat heads - the fish we were looking for - lack teeth..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back