Post your current 'in heavy rotation' album
Nov 30, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #391 of 414
518BMRW4HWL__SS400_.jpg

On Mercy Streets, vocalist Kate McGarry seamlessly combines music from many disparate sources into a cohesive, emotional experience. "Mercy Street," written by Peter Gabriel, is a solid display of her folk-pop sensibilities in an arrangement that clearly sets her version apart from the river of reworked pop hit arrangements. McGarry's vocal style is soft, subtle, and sensitive, and provides a welcomed textural contrast and stylistic variety to "State of Emergency" and "Whatever Lola Wants, Lola Gets." This is not a typical folk-jazz offering. With contributions from pianist and labelmate Fred Hersch on two tracks, the music is sometimes carefully deconstructed and put back together, now including elements of jazz and versatile drums and percussion from Kenny Wollesen. Overall, Kate McGarry has amazing articulation and offers an effective set that bridges the sonic chasm between folk-pop and jazz. ~ Paula Edelstein

Arrangers: Kate McGarry; Steve Cardenas; Keith Ganz; Fred Hersch.

Personnel: Kate McGarry (vocals); Kate McGarry; Sean Smith (double bass); Steve Cardenas (acoustic guitar, electric guitar); Keith Ganz (acoustic guitar); Fred Hersch (piano); Kenny Wollesen (drums, percussion).

Dec 4, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #397 of 414
I've been listening to this one quite often lately:
51ZB1PXAKFL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Alphaville - Forever Young

Dec 5, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #400 of 414
Just at the moment. . .

Bowie_HeroesSingle.jpg

Dec 5, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #401 of 414
andrew-jackson-jihad-people.jpg

"and I got to thinkin': If I don't go to Hell when I die I might go to heaven! If I don't go to Hell when I die I might go to heaven! If I don't go to Hell when I die I might go to heaven! If I don't go to Hell when I die I might go to heaven! but probably not."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back