ASRock 890GX Extreme4 R2.0
ATI RADEON HD4890 1GB
Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x4GB PC3-12800 DDR3-1600MHz 10-10-10-28
Corsair TX650M

Kit WC Thermaltake Bigwater 745

Samsung SyncMaster 931BF 19'

Logitech X-230

Jan 30, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #1,428 of 3,097
My Hanns-G 281D monitor has started to die. It will go from a black screen to the source, to black again, several times after turning it on. It also sometimes does it just randomly during use.

I'm replacing it with one of these: Samsung S27A500H

Starting off with one, but will (likely) buy two more as soon as I have some more money.

Originally, I was planning on getting a Dell U2711, but I decided that going for triple monitors would be awesome. Besides, since I play PC as well as Xbox games, it makes sense to have a 1080P monitor. No stretching or black bars for me.

Jan 31, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #1,429 of 3,097

Quote:
My Hanns-G 281D monitor has started to die. It will go from a black screen to the source, to black again, several times after turning it on. It also sometimes does it just randomly during use.

I'm replacing it with one of these: Samsung S27A500H

Starting off with one, but will (likely) buy two more as soon as I have some more money.

Originally, I was planning on getting a Dell U2711, but I decided that going for triple monitors would be awesome. Besides, since I play PC as well as Xbox games, it makes sense to have a 1080P monitor. No stretching or black bars for me.

Why not Asus VE278Q or even VK278 with builtin camera instead of the Samsung? The Asus get much better reviews.

Jan 31, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #1,430 of 3,097
My new PC:

Zalman HD503 and inside
Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3
Intel i7-2700K
MSI HD6870
Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600mHz
60GB SATA III SSD
2TB HDD
Zalman Quiet Fans
LG BD Writer
Asus VK278Q
Logitech K360 and MX Performance

Jan 31, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #1,431 of 3,097

Quote:

Why not Asus VE278Q or even VK278 with builtin camera instead of the Samsung? The Asus get much better reviews.

The energy saving features on the Samsung are a huge plus for me. As for the reviews, most people don't like the base on the Samsung because they don't know that it can snap into place. They usually just rest it on the stand and then complain that they are afraid it's going to separate. Duh! You have to snap it on. The only other complaints are usually that they didn't like the power button. Big deal.

The biggest reason I didn't get the Asus though was because a friend of mine just bought that Asus model a couple days ago and it came with a dead pixel. I know, I know. Any monitor can come with a dead pixel. However, I just treated his experience as if it was mine and  decided to get something else. Depending on what happens he will likely order the same Samsung model as me or go for the Acer S273HL. He really needs the energy saving features though. One time he left his monitor on for so long that it now has the Windows task bar burned into it. hahahah.

Jan 31, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #1,432 of 3,097

Quote:

The energy saving features on the Samsung are a huge plus for me. As for the reviews, most people don't like the base on the Samsung because they don't know that it can snap into place. They usually just rest it on the stand and then complain that they are afraid it's going to separate. Duh! You have to snap it on. The only other complaints are usually that they didn't like the power button. Big deal.

The biggest reason I didn't get the Asus though was because a friend of mine just bought that Asus model a couple days ago and it came with a dead pixel. I know, I know. Any monitor can come with a dead pixel. However, I just treated his experience as if it was mine and  decided to get something else. Depending on what happens he will likely order the same Samsung model as me or go for the Acer S273HL. He really needs the energy saving features though. One time he left his monitor on for so long that it now has the Windows task bar burned into it. hahahah.

+1 on the dead pixel...

I bought an Asus monitor to go with my computer build not too long ago and I ended up having to swap it out because it had a dead pixel...

Jan 31, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #1,433 of 3,097

Quote:

Should not colour reproduction and how the screen works not be your criteria instead of a stand and power saving? 

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #1,434 of 3,097
Just joined the forum today and looking for some new headphones anyway here is my specs

Alienware m18x
Core i7 2960xm @4.2ghz
16gb 1600mhz DDR3
2x 580m GTX SLI
120gb Vertex 3
750gb 7200rpm HDD
BDRE Drive
XiFi Sound
18.4" 1920x1080 LCD
Nuforce uDAC2

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #1,435 of 3,097

Quote:
Just joined the forum today and looking for some new headphones anyway here is my specs

Alienware m18x
Core i7 2960xm @4.2ghz
16gb 1600mhz DDR3
2x 580m GTX SLI
120gb Vertex 3
750gb 7200rpm HDD
BDRE Drive
XiFi Sound
18.4" 1920x1080 LCD
Nuforce uDAC2

Woah.. they managed to fit 2 GTX 580s into that laptop? Granted its the mobile version but.. What?? My fullsize version of that card is probably the same thickness as that laptop..

Anyway.. NICE specs for your laptop :) hope you have many fun years of use with it
beerchug.gif

Feb 1, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #1,436 of 3,097

Quote:
Should not colour reproduction and how the screen works not be your criteria instead of a stand and power saving? 

I'm sure it reproduces colors just fine.

Please re-read my previous post. I clearly stated why I didn't get the Asus. Another negative was reading the reviews that say that it started flashing black. That's what my current monitor does.

I never said that the stand was my reason for getting the Samsung.

If the Samsung arrives and doesn't live up to my expectations then I will return it and get something else. I seriously doubt this will happen though.

Feb 1, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #1,437 of 3,097

Quote:
I'm sure it reproduces colors just fine.

Please re-read my previous post. I clearly stated why I didn't get the Asus. Another negative was reading the reviews that say that it started flashing black. That's what my current monitor does.

I never said that the stand was my reason for getting the Samsung.

If the Samsung arrives and doesn't live up to my expectations then I will return it and get something else. I seriously doubt this will happen though.

Why so aggressive? I only suggested that the Asus is better than the Samsung according to reviews. One dead pixel does not make a screen useless, and if you do not like a dead pixel, get the screen replaced. Buying a screen is much more than just choosing a manufacturer. It took me over a month of research and I was also on the verge of buying Dell U27, but despite its advantages, it has some serious disadvantages. For its price tag and not looking at IPS panels, that Asus is the most versatile screen out there. Great colour reproduction, no input lag, great contrast.

Review:

http://www.digitalversus.com/lcd-monitor/asus-ve278q-p10118/test.html

Here is a review of the one you want from the same shootout:

http://www.digitalversus.com/lcd-monitor/samsung-syncmaster-s27a550h-p12083/test.html

Reverse ghosting, less connection options, more expensive than the Asus.

Feb 1, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #1,438 of 3,097
Not being aggressive. Just responding to your points. Like I said, if it looks like crap then I'll return it. As for the connections, all I'll ever use is HDMI.

What is reverse ghosting anyway?

Edit: Please don't take me as being aggressive. I apologize if that's how I come off. If the Samsung is disappointing I will be honest and say so, right as I put it back in the box and ship it back. Although, I really hope I don't have to do that. This Hanns-G is getting worse every day.

Man, now you have me all convinced that the Samsung is going to be a complete letdown. I really hope it isn't. I don't like the idea of waiting another week+ for a second monitor to get here.

Feb 1, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #1,439 of 3,097

Quote:
Not being aggressive. Just responding to your points. Like I said, if it looks like crap then I'll return it. As for the connections, all I'll ever use is HDMI.

What is reverse ghosting anyway?

Edit: Please don't take me as being aggressive. I apologize if that's how I come off. If the Samsung is disappointing I will be honest and say so, right as I put it back in the box and ship it back. Although, I really hope I don't have to do that. This Hanns-G is getting worse every day.

Man, now you have me all convinced that the Samsung is going to be a complete letdown. I really hope it isn't. I don't like the idea of waiting another week+ for a second monitor to get here.

Buy the Samsung and the ASUS... best of both worlds?
wink.gif

But in all honesty... It's all up to you as the user of the screen right? If you like it.. then you shouldn't let what others say about it get you down about it :)

Just my 2c :)

Feb 1, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #1,440 of 3,097
Haha.. one of each. Well, the monitor comes in tomorrow. I'll be sure to let you guys know what I think of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back