Post your computer specs!~
Apr 29, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #1,171 of 3,096
ditto.

Quote:
Haven't had any issues with either my X25-M or original Vertex. Haven't heard much horror stories with SSDs in general regarding reliability. I've had way more notebook hard drives die due to shock and movement, something a SSD is immune to.

Apr 29, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #1,172 of 3,096

$5000????? really? how? i might be off on my prices a bit, but it just doesn't seem to add up. and no, this is not meant to be taken as me doubting you, i'm just surprised. 
but 15gb of ram? even with 8gb as ramdsik, do you really need that much?
Quote:
Alienware Aurora
Alienware/Foxconn X58 MATX
i7 920 @ 3.2Ghz
Corsair H50 Equivalent
15GB RAM 1333
HD5970 @ Stock
2x 1TB Spinpoint F3 R0
500Gb 7200.12
Titanium HD
875W Stock PSU
Acer G235H 23" / Alienware OptX 23" 3D / Acer V233H 23" Eyefinity Setup
Win 7 Home 64Bit
Gigabyte Ghost M8000X
Razer Blackwidow

No Upgrades for the next two years because this has cost me $5000 already....even though an SSD would be nice. Maybe a Physx card? A Fan controller?   

And in my own opinion guys, for my uses, I don't think a SSD would benefit me THAT much but I do agree that the Hard Drive is today's bottleneck. Which is why I have 8GB of RAM allocated as a RAM disc :)

Apr 29, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #1,173 of 3,096

Quote:
$5000????? really? how? i might be off on my prices a bit, but it just doesn't seem to add up. and no, this is not meant to be taken as me doubting you, i'm just surprised. 

Yeahhh....That's a lot. More than it should be at least....but I guess that's what happens when you buy alienware, and don't build it yourself...  Nice computer none the less though. =]

Apr 29, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #1,174 of 3,096

Quote:

I heard SSD have very high failure rates. I'll get one in a year or two maybe after the technology has fully matured.

I built my computer. Relatively standard specs but I haven't found much reason to upgrade anything though.

Intel i5 2500K unlocked
EVGA GTX 460
Asus Sabertooth P67
Antec Nine Hundred Two case (there's 4 huge fans built-in!)

I'm looking to try out SLI or 3-D, but saving up for a 3-D compatible screen.

High failure rates? Not really.. The very first SSD's that came out some years ago, might have had some start up problems, but as of right now, i don't really think this is the case.. There have been a few examples of updating firmware locking drives, which is why i never update firmware until it has been out for some time.. Also some batches of drives have had some errors, so yeah i wouldn't jump on the newest SSD's before there are some solid reviews of them (Anandtech is usually the one i look for, they do great SSD reviews, and other SSD related articles) but personally i haven't had a single problem with my Intel X25-M, and no signs of wearing either, after a good 1.5 years of pretty tough use..

Apr 29, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #1,175 of 3,096
SSDs do have a limited number of read / write cycles, however, If you don't defrag them (they don't need it anyway), and disable the page file (or move it to a HDD) they will last for quite a long time problem free. 

Apr 29, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #1,176 of 3,096

yeah. throw the page file onto a HDD that you use for data or RAM disk if you feel like it. personally, i see no difference in having my page file on ram disk versus hdd, and definitely no to the defrag - actuially i think you are not supposed to, more than them not needing it, i think i've read that defraging ssd's is bad for them.
Quote:
SSDs do have a limited number of read / write cycles, however, If you don't defrag them (they don't need it anyway), and disable the page file (or move it to a HDD) they will last for quite a long time problem free. 

Apr 29, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #1,177 of 3,096
It is bad for them, as they have a limited number of read / write cycles, and defraging does a lot of read / write. It is also unneeded, because SSDs don't work like HDDs do. They don't have moving platters, and heads that have to jump around finding fragmented file parts...... fragmentation will not slow an ssd down like it will a hard drive. However, defraging will contribute to wearing an ssd out faster.

Apr 30, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #1,178 of 3,096

Quote:
Yeahhh....That's a lot. More than it should be at least....but I guess that's what happens when you buy alienware, and don't build it yourself...  Nice computer none the less though. =]

Quote:

Yeah. Customs are much more worth it, but I'm really just a kid who naggs his dad to buy him a custom but doesn't want to deal with all the warranty and RMA processes so he purchases a pre-built system equivalent to the custom + extras. But I do have to go out to work occasionally.

Dell are overpriced, but I suppose me/dad's experiences with their support and services have made up that price difference between Alienware and Customs...

As for the RAM, I ordered mine with 6GB of RAM (3x2GB), but since 6GB isn't enough for AutoCad and because of the RAM limitations of 16Gb of Win 7 Home, I went ahead and bought a set of 3x4GB and a 3x1GB set of memory.  

IMHO I don't need this much, but its just nice having it. Isn't that with everything? 

Apr 30, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #1,179 of 3,096

LOL.. but i feel like you could have cut down a bit on the RAM then you could have just bought an SSD
Quote:

Yeah. Customs are much more worth it, but I'm really just a kid who naggs his dad to buy him a custom but doesn't want to deal with all the warranty and RMA processes so he purchases a pre-built system equivalent to the custom + extras. But I do have to go out to work occasionally.

Dell are overpriced, but I suppose me/dad's experiences with their support and services have made up that price difference between Alienware and Customs...

As for the RAM, I ordered mine with 6GB of RAM (3x2GB), but since 6GB isn't enough for AutoCad and because of the RAM limitations of 16Gb of Win 7 Home, I went ahead and bought a set of 3x4GB and a 3x1GB set of memory.  

IMHO I don't need this much, but its just nice having it. Isn't that with everything? 

Apr 30, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #1,180 of 3,096
Wassup ladies!?

15" Quad Core i7 Macbook Pro, With Thermal Paste Mod
Matte Screen Upgrade
8 GB 1333MHz DDR3 RAM
256 GB SSD
Optibay Mod: 750GB 7200RPM HDD
1GB AMD Radeon HD 6750M
External Super Drive

Apr 30, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #1,181 of 3,096

And it cost the same as the alienware listed above 
beyersmile.png

Quote:
Wassup ladies!?

15" Quad Core i7 Macbook Pro, With Thermal Paste Mod
Matte Screen Upgrade
8 GB 1333MHz DDR3 RAM
256 GB SSD
Optibay Mod: 750GB 7200RPM HDD
1GB AMD Radeon HD 6750M
External Super Drive

May 1, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #1,182 of 3,096

Quote:
And it cost the same as the alienware listed above 
beyersmile.png

Oh I don't doubt it. However, this isn't all leisure. As a event photographer and as well as my courses here at the university, involving much of the adobe suite- These are the kind of things which save me time, and put me ahead of the competition. That and I sell my Macbook pro every year or so for close to what I paid for it and then buy the current fully upgraded model, and I save a lot of money in the long run.

May 1, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #1,183 of 3,096
desktop 1
phenom II x6 1090 @ 3.7 with 212+
msi 790 fx gd70
2x asus 9600 gso top
4gb ocz black
antec ea 750
wd 1.5 green

desktop 2
q 9450 stock during warm days
asus rampage
2* nvidia 285. 1 bfg, 1 dont remember
1gb ram.

need another rig. perhaps in september.

May 8, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #1,184 of 3,096
just built myself a brand new computer the other day. Ive been out of the PC world for several years not, I built my own computer back in my junior year of highschool, but then as soon as i went to college, i got a macbook pro, and havent looked back. But several months ago i started hankering to build my own computer, so finally i got around to it.

Intel Core i5-2500k OC'd stable to 4.5GHz from 3.3GHz on air
Coolermaster 212+ cooler for the CPU
XFX Radeon hd 6950 1GB oc'd to 850 on the core and 1300 on the memory
8GB of Gskill ram
MSI motherboard w/ 1X16x PCI-e slots(forgot the exact model)
OCZ Vertex 2 50 GB SSD(for windows and certain core programs)
1TB Seagate 7200.12 for everything else(music/games)
Seasonic 620W modular powersupply
All inside a Antec 300 case(which is probably one of the best cases i've used, very quiet, and i filled the extra 3 fan slots!)
Asus 24" 1080p monitor
Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

its freaking fast! and all for what i consider to be pretty good value, got the 6950 for 209 dollars and the 2500k is only 225. not to mention that it boots in all of like 20 seconds, which is neat

Downloaded the free version of 3DMark11 and was getting around 4800 stock, and now im getting around 5400 with both OC's. runs crysis 2 at max settings great

May 9, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #1,185 of 3,096
The Sapphire Xtreme Radeon HD 5850 is ridiculous. I'm playing things on maximum without a problem. I've never done that before. Very nice. I want an SSD next, but I'll probably stalk for sales or price drops first. But then I also have audio gear I want... and another keyborad... 

I have a water cooler that I don't use or need... I can't justify switching to an i3 since I'm pretty happy with my Phenom II. The costs aren't worth it now. Maybe in a couple of years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back