Post your computer specs!~
Oct 5, 2010 at 1:37 PM Post #781 of 3,094
2GB is never enough for me LOL!..I remember last time...1GB used to be a lot XD

Oct 5, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #782 of 3,094

Quote:
Any sort of graphics work, video work, or anything where screen real estate is useful. I enjoy the extra resolution on my U2711, it's a marked difference from the 20" I came from.

Here's my current setup
Display: Dell U2711, Dell 2007WFP (eventually 2, once I can upgrade to a motherboard with enough slots for a second gpu)
CPU: Intel q9550
RAM: 8gb OCZ
Mobo: Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
Video: EVGA GTX280
Sound: Asus STX
Raid Card: Adaptec 31605
Hard drives:
Samsung F1 1TB x5 Raid6
Intel X25-E 64gb
Intel X25-M G1 80gb
Intel X25-V 40gb
Network card: Intel CT Desktop NIC
Disc drive: LG Blu-ray drive
Case:Cooler Master HAF 922 

Yes. I shouldn't have assumed everyone has the same need as me. There are definitely applications where high resolution + bigger screen will be very helpful. I do standby that with high resolution, the need for high-end graphics card is higher as well. 

All I am saying is I, as a moderate gamer and student, am more than satisfied with a 22 inch screen.

Great setup with all those SSD and 8gb Ram
smily_headphones1.gif

Just wondering, I have heard that nVidia revs up the gpu with dual monitor all the time. Is that true?

Oct 5, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #783 of 3,094

Nothing wrong with being satisfied with what you have
smily_headphones1.gif
For high resolution, if you're speaking of gaming that isn't "hardcore" then a mid-range to upper mid-range graphics card will do fine (depending on how much antialiasing you need). If someone either doesn't game or casually games then a mid-low to low end card will do fine for most things. I've used a pure 2D card with a 30" monitor before with no issues (yes, it was a professional 2D card...but still!)
tongue.gif

It's absolutely true that nvidia cards will run at a higher performance level if you have two monitors, they will not drop to the full low-power mode. On the other hand, that doesn't mean it revs up all the way. When I measured my card, I think the power draw difference between one and two monitors was something like 10-15watts more power draw. If you're familiar with the GTX280, you know that the power draw difference between idle and full bore is a bit more than 10-15 watts
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
Yes. I shouldn't have assumed everyone has the same need as me. There are definitely applications where high resolution + bigger screen will be very helpful. I do standby that with high resolution, the need for high-end graphics card is higher as well. 

All I am saying is I, as a moderate gamer and student, am more than satisfied with a 22 inch screen.

Great setup with all those SSD and 8gb Ram
smily_headphones1.gif

Just wondering, I have heard that nVidia revs up the gpu with dual monitor all the time. Is that true?

Oct 6, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #785 of 3,094
What?! how???...most firefox takes up is like...300mb of my ram lol.

Oct 6, 2010 at 9:31 AM Post #786 of 3,094
1000 tabs? what?

I do not understand how you guys can use sooooo much ram. If you are doing heavy rendering or something maybe I could understand, but for day to day task and gaming I cannot fathom more than 6gigs. And that would be for a heavy multi-tasker that does not like to close down programs.

Oct 6, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #787 of 3,094
hell 4GB is enough for hardcore gaming XD 

Oct 6, 2010 at 9:47 AM Post #788 of 3,094
Well not if you want to play a game while running a browser, a voip, and running multiple virus scans...thinks to my friend. He uses 6gigs and utilizes most of it.

2gigs is enough for hardcore gaming...so long as you run no other programs. I can show proof!

Also Jodiuh I want to see a screenshot of your memory usage when you have a 2gig+ firefox...because that is just absurd. Firefox has taken steps to use up less ram...do you have a lot of add-ons and keep up a lot of tabs?

Oct 6, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #789 of 3,094
It's harder to do this now as 5xxx series cards aren't being made now, stocks are slowly dwindling and you can't do it on all of them e.t.c. but many people bought 5850's and overclocked them to 5870 speeds. Anyway, the 6xxxs are nearly upon us so no point getting one now, not least because it looks like their won't be any kind of price drop as they're just selling through the last of their stock. 

The one thing I really want to know, even about benchies is... how big will they be?! I'm seriously considering getting a Silverstone FT02 case... the limited edition one with a red interior as I don't want to have to chase retailers up about whether the normal version has the new AP fans in and need to order soon, but a 5970 fits in that with like half a millimetre to spare! I'm hoping the Cayman and Antilles cards aren't any bigger than the current ones or I'll have to think about another case, but I want the FT02 since it's the best-looking case that slays for air-cooling.

Oct 6, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #790 of 3,094

Quote:
Well not if you want to play a game while running a browser, a voip, and running multiple virus scans...thinks to my friend. He uses 6gigs and utilizes most of it.

2gigs is enough for hardcore gaming...so long as you run no other programs. I can show proof!

Also Jodiuh I want to see a screenshot of your memory usage when you have a 2gig+ firefox...because that is just absurd. Firefox has taken steps to use up less ram...do you have a lot of add-ons and keep up a lot of tabs?

Did you really just take "I've pooped bigger Firefoxes" as a valid comment?

Oct 6, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #791 of 3,094
I assumed he meant popped. O is right next to P and i could consider opening the firefox application as popping it open.

I dislike trolls...I just assume everyone is a decent person = (

Oct 7, 2010 at 8:16 AM Post #794 of 3,094
ONLY 1.72GB USED?!?!?! O__O...I already used up 194GB on my 1TB XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back