Post your computer specs!~
Oct 25, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #2,896 of 3,097
What I don't like about OLEDs is that limitations on how much total lumanance the panel can output at a time, which limits the amount of OLEDs in intensity of their brightness output. Which means when you have certian white sections on a display contrasted with white, that white area gets super white due to maxing out that brightness for that region, and then when you have a pure white sheet on the screen, it dims due to limited power output due to the system being afraid of overheating the OLEDs.

So the luminance output isn't consistent/even for different amount of white outputs. Perhaps, this is what is meant when people say OLEDs have limited brightness, meaning total brightness at a time.

Also, I hate autodimming that happens.

However, I really do luv the color saturation and the deep black levels. I think the images look phantastic, and doesn't have a washed out look you get with backlit LEDs.

I absolutely luv my LG C2 for gaming. It's 120hz, which is why I upgraded.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #2,897 of 3,097
Also, I hate autodimming that happens.
Here's how to fix that for about $13...
Step 1: Buy this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092ZDFLNT?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Step 2: Press the "IN START" button on the remote (in the middle section of the remote, top left of the up/down/left/right/OK buttons)
Step 3: Enter the password (I can PM you, or it's on the internets)
Step 4: Go to menu option number 12, "OLED". Then, for "TCP Enable", select "OFF". Lower down, at "GSR Enable", select "OFF".

No more autodimming.

ABL is a known annoyance for people, yes.
As for "brightness" and/or nits, well... again, the perfect blacks makes the eye perceive a brighter screen than what the numbers say. I doubt most people will really notice a need for more brightness on the LG OLED C2 in a dark room (I have one as well for one of my monitors). In fact, frequently when HDR is enabled on Windows 10, I think it's too bright for a lot of SDR content, and I turn the HDR off, or have a viewing mode with 40% brightness and Contrast settings, and lowered OLED pixel brightness.
Another thing that many people don't consider and/or understand is tone mapping. Depending on what's going through your ENTIRE output chain, and what you have enabled for HDR tone mapping, then things may not look so good, be really dark, or even have blown out highlights/contrast that could be fixed with a little bit of tweaking. But it gets confusing, because you can have the TV do tone mapping; the 4k player doing it; the PC Windows enabling their version; the GPU software could be doing it's tone mapping, then outputting to the TV with ITS tone mapping enabled, and so on...
MadVR is confusing, but for those using a PC to output video, it's a godsend for balancing all these issues. But again, it takes some work to figure out what's going on.
Finally, there are several movies that are notorious for having really dark 4k HDR presentations, and so it looks dark on even super-bright TVs. But that's a whole new topic. For an example, I think "3:10 to Yuma", "Free Guy", and "Solo" are good examples of bad looking HDR titles.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #2,898 of 3,097
Here's how to fix that for about $13...
Step 1: Buy this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092ZDFLNT?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Step 2: Press the "IN START" button on the remote (in the middle section of the remote, top left of the up/down/left/right/OK buttons)
Step 3: Enter the password (I can PM you, or it's on the internets)
Step 4: Go to menu option number 12, "OLED". Then, for "TCP Enable", select "OFF". Lower down, at "GSR Enable", select "OFF".

No more autodimming.

ABL is a known annoyance for people, yes.
As for "brightness" and/or nits, well... again, the perfect blacks makes the eye perceive a brighter screen than what the numbers say. I doubt most people will really notice a need for more brightness on the LG OLED C2 in a dark room (I have one as well for one of my monitors). In fact, frequently when HDR is enabled on Windows 10, I think it's too bright, and I turn the HDR off, or have a viewing option with 40% brightness and Contrast settings, and lowered OLED brightness because it's so bright.
Another thing that many people don't consider and/or understand is tone mapping. Depending on what's going through your ENTIRE output chain, and what you have enabled for HDR tone mapping, then things may not look so good, be really dark, or even have blown out highlights/contrast that could be fixed with a little bit of tweaking. But it gets confusing, because you can have the TV do tone mapping; the 4k player doing it; the PC Windows enabling their version; the GPU software could be doing it's tone mapping, then outputting to the TV with ITS tone mapping enabled, and so on...
MadVR is confusing, but for those using a PC to output video, it's a godsend for balancing all these issues. But again, it takes some work to figure out what's going on.
Finally, there are several movies that are notorious for having really dark 4k HDR presentations, and so it looks dark on even super-bright TVs. But that's a whole new topic. For an example, I think "3:10 to Yuma", "Free Guy", and "Solo" are good examples of bad looking HDR titles.
I had no idea that such control of so accessible. I've heard that too bright of images puts strain on the eyes, but our eyes generally perceives brightness relative to the brightness of the environment. My OLED even asks me if I want to turn down the brightness since it can strain my eyes.

I have issues with such complexity of setting and video standards out there, that sometimes I get the least optimal picture and do not know what kind of settings are required. You have one website tell you one thing, and then you have picture brightness with certain formats. I wish it was much easier to get the best picture per video format. Same goes for Windows and it's HDR, which isn't great.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #2,899 of 3,097
Yeah, I'm a video/audio/PC geek, so I know that I'm a minority crowd that constantly tweaks their equipment and scours the net for clues on how to eke out just a smidge more detail with the stuff I own.
I think a good 40% of consumers don't understand even basic screen adjustments, and are completely fine with what they have right out of the box.
There's nothing wrong with that. But at the same time, I think the complexity of modern day displays and 4k/HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby Vision, and PC HDR standards all requiring different TV/displays to work at all - while some disc playing devices don't offer DV or HDR10+, with Amazon Prime using HDR10+, Disney with Dolby Vision, Netflix using (whatever and so on) and most TVs not having all these options, etc... it's an evil juggling act to know the basics, and I don't blame most casual viewers not wanting - or caring - to understand what they need to look for based on their needs.
It's ridiculous, really. I get why someone would get discouraged.

Oct 26, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #2,900 of 3,097
Yeah, I'm a video/audio/PC geek, so I know that I'm a minority crowd that constantly tweaks their equipment and scours the net for clues on how to eke out just a smidge more detail with the stuff I own.
I think a good 40% of consumers don't understand even basic screen adjustments, and are completely fine with what they have right out of the box.
There's nothing wrong with that. But at the same time, I think the complexity of modern day displays and 4k/HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby Vision, and PC HDR standards all requiring different TV/displays to work at all - while some disc playing devices don't offer DV or HDR10+, with Amazon Prime using HDR10+, Disney with Dolby Vision, Netflix using (whatever and so on) and most TVs not having all these options, etc... it's an evil juggling act to know the basics, and I don't blame most casual viewers not wanting - or caring - to understand what they need to look for based on their needs.
I think my main issue is tone mapping or something that really brings the picture down really dim. I think it says 'tone' something, and if I turned it to what some Youtuber recommeneded, it looks too dim, but if I turn it on, it looks quite bright, and might be ok. There are some stuff like that. I also have some ripped movies on PLEX, and for non-HDR/DV content, it looks dim. But, if I have HDR on all the time, it looks normal. This is the kind of stuff I really dislike about all these formats and settings on modern TVs. Plex of course adds another layer of complexity, and it's on a device, FireTV 4k, which also has it's own settings. It gets really complex with settings on everything, the app, and the hardware.

Same goes for gaming in HDR, it's the tone related settings that really trips me up. That's not really all, my C2 came with stock settings that looked too blue in hue, and I found out that there was a setting for warm colors to reduce eye strain, and that looks more natural. I felt the color needed to be warmer stock. Sometimes the colors looks too saturated, and for those that never owned a display with perfect black level, the contrast will look odd due to many other displays having more of a grey level blacks.

Also, I think maybe, it depeneds on your natural lighting environment in what kind of lighting you are used to, to determine what natural colors are to you. Color tweaking is so complex. Every content has it's own director's determined color scheme, which adds to the complexity. It's because some colors in movies can be unnatural looking due to purposely pushing certain color schemes. For great picture, I generally like docmentary looking pictures, and this movie is an example of that.

Shunji Iwai, however Japanese photography tend to be a bit washed out, with lower dynamic range

Even better photography, check this out. I tend to like Japanese cinematography.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #2,901 of 3,097
I think if you show them the difference between standard and hdr10+ / dolby vision, they might think differently about it but most people like you said are not aware or just too lazy to play with the settings.

Its a fairly new discovery for me as well and found that the tweaks for audio also work really well for video too.

Oct 28, 2023 at 11:14 PM Post #2,902 of 3,097
I really like the idea of being able to flex and unflex the ultrawide, but I would be sold if I can get much greater resolution on the width, like equivalent to 3 or 4 4k monitors in portrait. I want to be able fit in a lot of apps in portrait mode horizontally. If we can make it really easy to snap them, I would use a single, very ultrawide monitor.

I guess the main issue with what I'm wanting is that for displaying the right resolution would be bad. If you down scale the resolution on a higher resolution monitor, it doesn't look as good as lower resolution monitor, and being set to it's resolution. If the resolution doesn't match to the amount of pixels on the screen, it would have a blurry look to it.

I guess it's hard to have one monitor to excel at both productivity and gaming.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #2,903 of 3,097
LOL that did not look effortless at all to bend that screen.

As someone who uses adjustable/extendable monitor arms, I think it would be tricky to flex the monitor in either direction without also pulling or retracting the arm it's attached to. The reviewer seemed like he was exerting some downward force in order to keep the monitor stand from also moving.

I can only imagine a motorized product like this that could be automated to flex to either curved or flat per application, or at will with a button press.

Oct 30, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #2,904 of 3,097
LOL that did not look effortless at all to bend that screen.

As someone who uses adjustable/extendable monitor arms, I think it would be tricky to flex the monitor in either direction without also pulling or retracting the arm it's attached to. The reviewer seemed like he was exerting some downward force in order to keep the monitor stand from also moving.

I can only imagine a motorized product like this that could be automated to flex to either curved or flat per application, or at will with a button press.
Motorized would be convenient, but I can also see it as being another mechanism that can go bad. I have a high quality BenQ LCD ,but having touch buttons was a bad idea. Easy for touch interface to degrade over time.

Anyway, I want to point out something that I've been struggling with since I've got my My Aegis 12gen desktop. It was black screen crash at random times. It didn't matter if I was taxing my graphics card or not.

I initially thought it was corrupts graphics drivers after utilizing DDU (for clean driver installs) and not getting black screen for awhile. Until I got black screen again at a later point.

I finally decided to reinstall Windows. I assumed there are some file corruption inside I cannot pinpoint or fix, and it might be the case. After reinstalling Windows, I haven't had issue with black screen yet. I hope this was it.

So, if you have some odd issues with your PC, it could be currupt files that you may not be able to find exactly where it is.

Now, I have issue with my recovery partition having some corruption. I got MSI to send me a flash drive to restore factory configuration.

Make sure to have a good UPS so you don't have reliable power outlets to prevent file curruption that can mess up your boot files.

Edit:
I've now realized it's not the any sort of corruption issue, but Nvidia driver issues with 4XXX series cards. Their driver updates for these cards are quite unstable.

Anybody have issues with with latest Nvidia drivers for their 4XXX series cards? Could it be a combination with Windows 11? God, I hate PCs!!!

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2023 at 1:25 AM Post #2,905 of 3,097
This is pretty damn impressive! How does a phone do this with such little power? Apple is doing some impressive stuff with their processors. I think Apple is capable of doing very efficient graphics processors. I don't think even the Switch is capable of this.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #2,906 of 3,097
Motorized would be convenient, but I can also see it as being another mechanism that can go bad. I have a high quality BenQ LCD ,but having touch buttons was a bad idea. Easy for touch interface to degrade over time.

Anyway, I want to point out something that I've been struggling with since I've got my My Aegis 12gen desktop. It was black screen crash at random times. It didn't matter if I was taxing my graphics card or not.

I initially thought it was corrupts graphics drivers after utilizing DDU (for clean driver installs) and not getting black screen for awhile. Until I got black screen again at a later point.

I finally decided to reinstall Windows. I assumed there are some file corruption inside I cannot pinpoint or fix, and it might be the case. After reinstalling Windows, I haven't had issue with black screen yet. I hope this was it.

So, if you have some odd issues with your PC, it could be currupt files that you may not be able to find exactly where it is.

Now, I have issue with my recovery partition having some corruption. I got MSI to send me a flash drive to restore factory configuration.

Make sure to have a good UPS so you don't have reliable power outlets to prevent file curruption that can mess up your boot files.
I've now realized it's not the any sort of corruption issue, but Nvidia driver issues with 4XXX series cards. Their driver updates for these cards are quite unstable.

Anybody have issues with with latest Nvidia drivers for their 4XXX series cards? Could it be a combination with Windows 11? God, I hate PCs!!!

I rolled back my driver so if it's stable with this driver, it's mostly like Nvidia's crappy driver updates.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #2,907 of 3,097

I rolled back my driver so if it's stable with this driver, it's mostly like Nvidia's crappy driver updates.
I have no idea what is going on now. lol. It gets blackscreen randomly until I noticed that the fan kicks on full blast after it goes black screen. I currently deduced it to high CPU temp. I noticed that at high load while gaming, my CPU maxes to whopping 101C! Great lord! Event viewer can show an error due to black screen, but it won't be related to the high temp. So, evenr viewer is kinda useless when it comes to telling you what is actually going on.

There could be miriads of issues that's contributing to the high temp. For one, I pulled off the front panel, and it reduced the temp by 16C, so at most I'm getting 84C at high load gaming. The size the the air intake on the front panel makes such a difference. It could also be that my Cooler is crap (prebuilt MSI garbage), or my heatsink may not have been applied well enough to dissipate the core heat released. I'm starting to see the caveats to prebuilts now.

It could also be that my fan profile is not set high enough to release heat from the heatsink at a fast enough rate.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #2,908 of 3,097
I have no idea what is going on now. lol. It gets blackscreen randomly until I noticed that the fan kicks on full blast after it goes black screen. I currently deduced it to high CPU temp. I noticed that at high load while gaming, my CPU maxes to whopping 101C! Great lord! Event viewer can show an error due to black screen, but it won't be related to the high temp. So, evenr viewer is kinda useless when it comes to telling you what is actually going on.

There could be miriads of issues that's contributing to the high temp. For one, I pulled off the front panel, and it reduced the temp by 16C, so at most I'm getting 84C at high load gaming. The size the the air intake on the front panel makes such a difference. It could also be that my Cooler is crap (prebuilt MSI garbage), or my heatsink may not have been applied well enough to dissipate the core heat released. I'm starting to see the caveats to prebuilts now.

It could also be that my fan profile is not set high enough to release heat from the heatsink at a fast enough rate.
I've been searching everywhere to fix the issue and ended up going back to this video to figure out what MSI did wrong. My front panel isn't quite as bad, the middle opening is a bit wider, but still not open enough in the front for good air intake. I just took off that front panel. I also changed my power settings to 'Balanced' so that my processor isn't always on max all the time, which can cause over-heat issue if your cooling isn't good enough. I also noticed that MSI didn't set the profile for system fans in the bios. I had to set it to smart setting.

I'm seeing why Gamer Nexus complains about these prebuilts. You start to realize the people that built they had no idea what they were doing, which leads to problems. I have dealt with customer service from these companies, and they are horrible. Have no knowledge of how a PC works. I'm crossing my finger it's the bios system fan setting in combination with PC's power setting which may cause overheat and go into blackscreen. Which I changed. Like I've said way earlier, PCs are big pain when something goes wrong. It's becuase you dropped so much money on it, and it makes you look into fixing, which wastes gobs of time! Troubleshooting can have issues that's more relational to the symptom, which can lead to many things that you have to deduce from.

Here's the video on the bios, and shows what you should look into that the MSI pre-builders chose to ignore. The issue with MSI prebuilts is that the Mobo is created for OC'ing which provides tons of settings, which isn't optimizer by the prebuilder. You have to figure this out to get it running optimally and trouble free. lol For prebuilt, I pay for convenience of them optmizing and avoiding issues, but with MSI, they are obviously not providing such service.

And lastly, I got to say, 4070TI card's performance gets better and better with newer and newer drivers. For now, it seems 12GB ram isn't obsolete yet!

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #2,909 of 3,097
I definately think it was the overheating issue on my badly built/optimized, pre-built. I recall I running 'The Last of Us Part I,' and it would just shut off at the beginning (Shader Compilation) when CPU utilization would be 100% at 100C. I think it black screens when CPU peaks to 100C+ for a certain duration which is probably the limit until it powers itself off as emergency. I don't know why it doesn't throttle then. I think some software doesn't give it option to throttle, and it would push the CPU to the limit like the 'The Last of Us Part I' during shader compilation.

I see why Gamer Nexus keeps reviewing/emphasizing cooling in his videos!

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #2,910 of 3,097
Your card is most likely throttling a lot if it's running 100 degrees, so you aren't getting all of its performance.
Have you checked if it needs a cleaning? Dust acts as isolation if it builds up, and prevents good airflow on the card, which in total significantly reduces the cards ability to get rid of heat. If you haven't ever cleaned your computer, this could be part of the issue and worth checking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back