Post your computer specs!~
Oct 4, 2023 at 10:48 PM Post #2,881 of 3,098
What is it that you use it for is noticeable? I only game and use office software only, so I don't notice a difference. I just want fast file transfer weather it's small or large. I don't do any video editing or anything all that intensive. My CPU/GPU combo is for gaming only.
Transferring files mostly but even mundane things like browsing the internet, its noticeable.

Oct 6, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #2,882 of 3,098

FSR3 seems to be fairly promising, although it seems to be too compromised at the moment to recommend using. The main issues seem to revolve around VRR/Freesync and V-Sync. The frames it generates seem to be pretty impressive, aside from the usual FSR artifacts.

One major week point seems to be its reliance on already having a high frame rate. From experience I feel DLSS3 works well even if you're targeting an 80ish FPS final output, but it looks like in this you really need to be targeting your monitor's maximum refresh rate.

I'd say I hope AMD hammers out these issues, but they still haven't hammered out the FSR2 image quality issues, so I'm not holding my breath.

Oct 6, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #2,883 of 3,098

FSR3 seems to be fairly promising, although it seems to be too compromised at the moment to recommend using. The main issues seem to revolve around VRR/Freesync and V-Sync. The frames it generates seem to be pretty impressive, aside from the usual FSR artifacts.

One major week point seems to be its reliance on already having a high frame rate. From experience I feel DLSS3 works well even if you're targeting an 80ish FPS final output, but it looks like in this you really need to be targeting your monitor's maximum refresh rate.

I'd say I hope AMD hammers out these issues, but they still haven't hammered out the FSR2 image quality issues, so I'm not holding my breath.

It's annoying that I got to turn off VRR and turn on vsync to use it properly. With DLSS, I use Gsync and global vsync on, and in game vsync setting off. It's annoying I got to change these setting for those games.

Only two titles for now however. Will Starfield get it soon?

It seems FSR frame gen is not worth it at lower fps, but at high fps it's hard to notice a difference with the low quality interpolation. However, DLSS still has better image quality overall.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #2,884 of 3,098
Oct 8, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #2,886 of 3,098
https://www.reddit.com/r/MSI_Gaming/comments/sohx6i/replacing_gungnir_110r_glass_front_panel_with/

This suggests you can at least remove the right side insert of the front panel by removing a few screws. The 5:42 mark in the video you posted sure looks like it would be possible.

I'd try that and if temps don't improve I'd look into a larger CPU cooler, and some top case fans.
It seems computer case standards has changed to similar cooling design of server racks in data centers. Open mesh on the front to take air in, and expell out to the back. One direction flow design. Gamer Nexus always emphasizing this.

I guess it's due to placement of components inside PC changing.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #2,887 of 3,098
It seems computer case standards has changed to similar cooling design of server racks in data centers. Open mesh on the front to take air in, and expell out to the back. One direction flow design. Gamer Nexus always emphasizing this.

I guess it's due to placement of components inside PC changing.
So, I've noticed that my MSI Aegis case isn't as bad as the Gamer Nexus vid. The middle opening is wider. Also, I tested how much of a different my Nvme near the CPU overheats, and it's only 3C different with the cover on or off. Maybe my fans are not set high enough.

Power usage just keeps getting worse and worse! 300W?

Oct 19, 2023 at 5:37 AM Post #2,888 of 3,098
Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 1.8 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB

Still banging like new

Oct 19, 2023 at 8:03 PM Post #2,889 of 3,098
Looks like non-Pro Threadripper is coming back.

The only question I have is: will I have the strength to not buy into Threadripper again? I suspect not.
TR.jpg

Oct 25, 2023 at 5:20 AM Post #2,891 of 3,098
Is anyone using one of the 27" OLED monitors? Curious to hear thoughts on them from users here. I want to switch from IPS, not sure the OLED tech is there yet at 27".
I am curious as to what "tech" you're referring to.
OLED usually has stellar response time, perfect blacks and some of the best color reproduction of any monitor. Refresh rates aren't at the range of some IPS models, or most TF panels, if that's what you're getting at. Going above 144Hz with OLED these days is uncommon, but more and more 240Hz displays are being released. Are you referring to resolution scale, and/or pixel density? DisplayPort options/compatibility? HDR compatibility (HDR10 is almost nonexistent on ANY monitor, sadly)?
If you're referring to brightness/nits, I can attest that OLED displays don't look "dim" most of the time, especially if you're in a dark or light-controlled room.
If you side-by-side compare directly to a burn your eyes out LED, then sure, you'll see a difference. But otherwise, on its own, OLEDs - especially as of this year - are not that dark at all, and you'd be hard pressed to notice the difference in brightness. Those perfect blacks really help the appearance seem much more dramatic than the "nits" number on a calibration tool.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #2,892 of 3,098
I am curious as to what "tech" you're referring to.
OLED usually has stellar response time, perfect blacks and some of the best color reproduction of any monitor. Refresh rates aren't at the range of some IPS models, or most TF panels, if that's what you're getting at. Going above 144Hz with OLED these days is uncommon, but more and more 240Hz displays are being released. Are you referring to resolution scale, and/or pixel density? DisplayPort options/compatibility? HDR compatibility (HDR10 is almost nonexistent on ANY monitor, sadly)?
If you're referring to brightness/nits, I can attest that OLED displays don't look "dim" most of the time, especially if you're in a dark or light-controlled room.
If you side-by-side compare directly to a burn your eyes out LED, then sure, you'll see a difference. But otherwise, on its own, OLEDs - especially as of this year - are not that dark at all, and you'd be hard pressed to notice the difference in brightness. Those perfect blacks really help the appearance seem much more dramatic than the "nits" number on a calibration tool.

I mean the non-standard OLED subpixel layout that causes text fringing in Windows, low brightness, aggressive ABL. I think the two choices for me right now are LG and Corsair. Both use the same LG panel. Asus also has a model but it uses HDMI 2.0 so it's not an option for me. I'm strictly talking about the 27" models. I can't go any larger than that.

I was asking here to see if anyone here has used one of the 27" OLEDs. I haven't seen one in person.

Oct 25, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #2,893 of 3,098
I mean the non-standard OLED subpixel layout that causes text fringing in Windows, low brightness, aggressive ABL. I think the two choices for me right now are LG and Corsair. Both use the same LG panel. Asus also has a model but it uses HDMI 2.0 so it's not an option for me. I'm strictly talking about the 27" models. I can't go any larger than that.

I was asking here to see if anyone here has used one of the 27" OLEDs. I haven't seen one in person.
Excellent response!
Yeah, ABL rears its head to me every once in a while. But it's not a detriment all that often (for me). Text fringing... hm. I have 4:4:2 on one monitor, and 4:4:4 chroma subsampling on the other. It is a big change from the stock settings that Windows botches.
Not sure how it applies to a sub-48" display, and below 4k. Also, it is always dependent upon the individuals' tolerances for noticing text fringing.

Hardware Unboxed just covered the Corsair Xeneon 27QHD240 OLED. Wonder if it's a bump up in that category.
He mentions the fringing at 5:17:

Good luck with your search. Let me know how it turns out. I'm curious!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #2,894 of 3,098
Maybe look at the numbers I was mentioning again. I am getting HALF of 15,000MB/s on a Gen 4 drive. :wink:
Here is a screenshot of a test 5 minutes ago on my 4TB SN850X:

1iVXYl1.jpg

With that said, before Gen 4, my M.2 drives would be about 3500MB/s (basically half of this drive). I haven't noticed a difference in performance/time to load anything, or DO anything between either drive. Except in one area... if you have an hour-long video you filmed in 4k, and used three cameras to film it, then the faster drives DO cache/buffer the videos quicker in CyberLink PowerDirector. But that's the ONLY time I noticed any difference. However, even that is pretty minimal. It's more "felt" intuitively, and I haven't timed it out because I don't do reviews on PC hardware. It's enough for me to go "Oh, it's a difference", but I didn't go "OHMYGOSH THAT'S so awesome!!eleven!!" like I do when I get a CPU that is 4x faster lol
Ya the gen 4 drives are pretty good. I've got a 980 pro 2TB, a 970 EVO 2TB and a Crucial P3 1TB in my main PC. The 980 pro has impressive performance. Actually, compared to the lower end Silicon Power 3.0 drive I have on my other PC, the 980 Pro does the "space/time" warp transitions in Ratchet and Clank about 2-3X faster. There is a momentary freeze/stutter for those on a slower drive. So that's one game at least where fast SSD's make a difference. If I had a 5.0 M.2 slot and a 5.0 drive and could push faster speeds I'm sure those parts of the game would be even smoother.

Oct 25, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #2,895 of 3,098
Excellent response!
Yeah, ABL rears its head to me every once in a while. But it's not a detriment all that often (for me). Text fringing... hm. I have 4:4:2 on one monitor, and 4:4:4 chroma subsampling on the other. It is a big change from the stock settings that Windows botches.
Not sure how it applies to a sub-48" display, and below 4k. Also, it is always dependent upon the individuals' tolerances for noticing text fringing.

Hardware Unboxed just covered the Corsair Xeneon 27QHD240 OLED. Wonder if it's a bump up in that category.
He mentions the fringing at 5:17:

Good luck with your search. Let me know how it turns out. I'm curious!

Thanks. After viewing multiple vids of the current 27" OLEDs, they're just not bright enough. I mean I don't want anything eye-searing, but I do at least want HDR to look decent. It's too dark in HDR content on the reviews I've seen. Shame.

I also just read that Alienware is releasing a model, AW2725DF, in January. 27" 1440p QD-OLED, 360Hz. So I'll hold off on a purchase until then to see what's up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back