Post your computer specs!~
Jan 9, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #2,101 of 3,097
Okay, well if we're offering PC building advise, I would strongly advise going on over to PC-dedicated sites.

www.tomshardware.com
http://www.pcpartpicker.com/
http://www.anandtech.com/
www.reddit.com/r/buildapc

The people over at Tom's Hardware tend to be the most credible, and PCpartpicker is the most helpful utility. Reddit is also a great place, and Anandtech is probably the best for review articles. For interactive product reviews, LinusTechTips is god. Check him out over at his Youtube.

Anyways, these are some of the best sources to get knowledge to build a PC! Hope I helped :)

Jan 9, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #2,102 of 3,097
  Okay, well if we're offering PC building advise, I would strongly advise going on over to PC-dedicated sites.

www.tomshardware.com
http://www.pcpartpicker.com/
http://www.anandtech.com/
www.reddit.com/r/buildapc

The people over at Tom's Hardware tend to be the most credible, and PCpartpicker is the most helpful utility. Reddit is also a great place, and Anandtech is probably the best for review articles. For interactive product reviews, LinusTechTips is god. Check him out over at his Youtube.

Anyways, these are some of the best sources to get knowledge to build a PC! Hope I helped :)

You better add overclock.net to that list -.-

Jan 9, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #2,103 of 3,097

Thanks everybody.  This should give me something to think about.  Plan on using a laptop and an external DAC into my HDVD800.  Probably a new one but I may resurrect an older Toshiba DDR2 era running Vista.  It has my iTunes on it in ALAC format and as soon as I reinstall some messed up drivers it should be good again.  I forget the chip exactly but it's some kind of Intel earlier dual core and with 4GB ram.  I have a much newer i5 laptop running W7 but the Toshiba shouldn't sacrifice any sound quality based on what you guys said, right?

I know there are better aftermarket sound cards available from Asus and others for about $200 but since this will be a home unit I will use an external DAC.  I am thinking J River or something for file management.

Thanks again.

Jan 9, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #2,104 of 3,097
OH S&^%

yeah lol I forgot a few :)

I was in class and dozing off, I didn't really go over every site - there are tons others. Thanks man for reminding me to say this :)

Jan 10, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #2,106 of 3,097

Thanks everybody.  This should give me something to think about.  Plan on using a laptop and an external DAC into my HDVD800.  Probably a new one but I may resurrect an older Toshiba DDR2 era running Vista.  It has my iTunes on it in ALAC format and as soon as I reinstall some messed up drivers it should be good again.  I forget the chip exactly but it's some kind of Intel earlier dual core and with 4GB ram.  I have a much newer i5 laptop running W7 but the Toshiba shouldn't sacrifice any sound quality based on what you guys said, right?

I know there are better aftermarket sound cards available from Asus and others for about $200 but since this will be a home unit I will use an external DAC.  I am thinking J River or something for file management.

Thanks again.

Give JRiver a shot, you get 30 days to try it. I love it.

Jan 11, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #2,107 of 3,097

OH S&^%

yeah lol I forgot a few
smily_headphones1.gif

I was in class and dozing off, I didn't really go over every site - there are tons others. Thanks man for reminding me to say this
smily_headphones1.gif

The LinusTechTips forum is also very helpful.
smily_headphones1.gif

I went to that forum once, I felt like I was reading through youtube comments and my IQ was dwindling by a thread. Basically any of the audio equipment we love on here, the users on there dismiss as snake oil.

Jan 11, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #2,108 of 3,097
  I went to that forum once, I felt like I was reading through youtube comments and my IQ was dwindling by a thread. Basically any of the audio equipment we love on here, the users on there dismiss as snake oil.

There are enough computer forums out there, where people are quite a bit more mature.  Typically, the "iq lowering" posts are from younger people who are repeating what they see from other posts. If you need a good forum to find out more about computers, feel free to pm me.

Jan 11, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #2,109 of 3,097

There are enough computer forums out there, where people are quite a bit more mature.  Typically, the "iq lowering" posts are from younger people who are repeating what they see from other posts. If you need a good forum to find out more about computers, feel free to pm me.

Thanks lol, but I've been building custom systems for 14 years :) I'm a regular on overclock.net

Feb 10, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #2,110 of 3,097
For any who might be interested, re the thread of thought I was pursuing before concerning best OS and etc. for music, the Jamuary issue of The Absolute Sound has a pertinent article on the subject in which they declare Windows to be superior sounding  to MAC OS for computer music purposes.   Article titled "New Methods for Quantifying Sonic Performance."

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/tas/

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/publications/the-absolute-sound/issues/249/

There doesn't seem to be a link to the article so you will have to rustle up a hard copy if you want to read.  Hey, they aren't going to give their narrow-spectrum high end pearls of wisdom away for free.

Feb 16, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #2,111 of 3,097
Case: Silverstone FT02 USB 3.0
CPU: i7 5820K @ 4.4Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate
RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 2666Mhz DDR4
MB: ASrock X99 Extreme 4
GPU: XFX Radeon R9 295X2 8GB @ 1100/1400
SSD: 480GB Sandisk Extreme Pro
HDD: 5TB Toshiba 7200RPM
PSU:  EVGA SuperNOVA P2 Platinum 1200W
Optical Drive: LG CH12NS30 Blu-Ray Combo
Headphone: Grado PS1000/DT990/HE400i/PK1
Microphone: Blue Yeti
Speakers: Goodmans Maxim + SVS SB2000 Subwoofer
Soundcard: Luxman DA-100 + Audioengine N22 + Tara labs Vector 2 & Audioquest RCA cables
Keyboard: Deck Hassium Blue LED Cherry MX Red + Ducky leather palmrest
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Mousepad: Artisan Hayate MID Japan Black Large
Screens: Dell U2713H

Feb 16, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #2,112 of 3,097
Glad I'm not the only one that pays ridiculous prices for well built cases. Lian Li cases are my favorite ^__^

Feb 17, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #2,114 of 3,097
My Hobby/Work Desktop.

CPU: Intel i7 4770K @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Extreme
Memory: 32GB(4x8GB) DDR3 Team Xtreem 2666 @ 2400 CL10 10-12-12-31
Graphics Card(s): 2x MSI GTX 780 Twin Frozr OC 3GB
Sound Card: ASUS Xonar Essence STX
Monitor(s) Displays: ASUS PB278Q, HP 2311xi, 1080p tv
Screen Resolution: 1440p, 2x 1080p
Hard Drives:
256GB 840 PRO SSD
6TB RAID 1 Array (Movies, Steam)
1.5TB HDD (Things Before Sorting/Downloads)
3TB EXT Drive (Secure Backups)
PSU: AX760
Case: NZXT White Switch 810
Cooling: Raystorm,Tank Z,D5 W\ EK Top,2x Razor GTX 780 v2,RX360PshPul
Keyboard: RK-9000 W/MX Blue switches and Vortex Bi-color PBT double shot caps, Logitech G15 (gutted for LCD)
Mouse: G400, Puretrak Talent

Feb 17, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #2,115 of 3,097
Current gaming/editing rig:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 @ 3.9GHz (slight OC)
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9500
MoBo: MSI 970A-G43
RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3-1600 8GB
GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 750 [+155MHz Core, +260MHz VRAM]
SSD: OCZ ARC 100 120GB
HDD: Western Digital RE3 1TB
PSU: Corsair CX 430 (I know....)
Case: Thermaltake Commander MS-I Epic Edtion

Keyboard: Monoprice Blue Backlit (Cell Membrane)
Mouse: Monprice 6-button w/ DPI changer
Mosuepad: SteelSeries QcK Mini

Headphones: Sennhieser HD 518

Other: Raspberry Pi 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back