Post your computer specs!~
Dec 1, 2023 at 2:33 AM Post #2,986 of 3,098
PCH will become an “add-on” thing before 2030 I predict. Unless Intel decides to still use them😅

AMD is moving on. I have always been an Intel fanboy, but when the Ryzens started to hit the market I was overly impressed with 3700X.

Imagine the space PCH takes up on a motherboard and PCB layout. We could see NVME side by side on ITX, and backside as the heat and space is gone(PCH)

Im saving my money on this one. First the took the northbridge years back. It has finally comes to the PCH/Southbridge, counting its last years. I hope

——

Even thunderbolt headers on the motherboards connects directly to AM5…Intel technology😅

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2023 at 6:04 AM Post #2,987 of 3,098
AMD is moving on. I have always been an Intel fanboy, but when the Ryzens started to hit the market I was overly impressed with 3700X.
AMD has been kicking butt since the 3)XX series CPUs.
I was an AMD CPU and ATI GPU fan from around 2001 - 2008. I had to finally give in and go for the Intel Core i7 920, which was a HUGE leap in performance at the time.
Then, when AMD and ATI merged, both their CPUs and GPUs became pretty awful. Took them quite a while to get back into contention, which they finally accomplished in the CPU scene with the 5000-series CPUs. The 3000-series was amazing, and showed they were on track to take the Championship Belt from Intel. However, that was only a hint at what was to come for their next release.
As for their GPUs, they finally started hitting a decent and competitive stride in 2018. Before that, most of their cards would run at furnace-level temps with shoddy performance. And their graphics drivers were awful.
I'm happy to see AMD is back in the game.

Now, I'm actually rooting for Intel to keep up their GPU department. It's amazing how much they have pushed the value of the Intel Arc series over the last year. A disastrous launch, and now many games perform over 200% better than at release. Even more important, they have fixed many games that didn't run at all, while also improving DX9 support, and so on. The drivers are more reliable, and if they keep it up, we will soon have a product that may make AMD and Nvidia pay more attention to the looming threat (but they're not there yet).

Dec 1, 2023 at 7:30 AM Post #2,988 of 3,098
Well the AMD is already addressing the need for more GPU power with Navi 3.5 Strix Halo

If rumors are true Im selling my 4070.

The chip to rule them all.

The smallest decent gamer and audiophile build in one.

The 16 lanes can now be used for more NVME😍

Dec 1, 2023 at 7:32 AM Post #2,989 of 3,098
Before 2030
“Mini-ATX will become the new ATX😎

RAM DIMM slots gone(HBM4)
PCH gone.
PCI 4.0/5.0 slot gone
Everything is APU connected. Shorter better path

Make room for the new smaller gens of “NVME”😎🏆

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #2,990 of 3,098
So, I've been contemplating adding more fans to my case (on the ceiling). Right now, I'm to lazy to replace my case. I replaced the stock MSI CPU cooler, and it just took much longer than I like, and I generally don't like working on PC parts, or generally on mechanical crap. I just don't enjoy the process. The issues were the brackets on it just fell off, which was unexpected. No standoffs on there. I hate these little surprises when working on mechanical crap.

I believe replacing the CPU fan fixed my blackscreen issue, crossing my fingers. It's drivin me nuts! This is what I hate about PCs, the bugs you can run into. If there is a reliable build by a company, I'd pay a little more so I dont' have to make it, or run into issues. Definately not MSI!

I found this video by Jayztwocents, and realized I should not add fans to add negative pressure to my case.

And something to note about cooling and gaming. Some games will overheat your PC if you have poor cooling. I've gotten addicted to Wild Hearts (so fun!), and that game will push your CPU temps.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #2,991 of 3,098
Hmm, i'll probably gonna sell my 3090, if someone is interested in getting it for a good price, pm me (EU). 4k 120 Hz is a resolution that can't get enough horsepower.
Current specs:
RTX 3090
Ryzen 7800x3d
32GB RAM
Custom watercooling
My main display is a 42" LG OLED C42 which was 100% the right decision, i got it basically new for a good price and don't regret it, in shooters you need to max out the FOV, but oh boy, playing RPG's on that thing is awesome, same as watching movies (i don't have a dedicated TV).

Dec 7, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #2,993 of 3,098

Nice clickbait title. This is hardly a case of "snake oil", the presenter simply doesn't like how the names are marketed and that they could mislead a less knowledgeable customer. No specs were false or even misleading if one simply reads Intel's descriptors and understands the performance impact. A few less cores on a well built CPU was part of the design is clearly stated on Intel's web site. Core count is not the design element that increases CPU processing capabilities

This "snake oil" hardly compares to the flat out lies spun by audio manufacturers who won't produce the kind of technical content about their product that Intel has in this case. How many companies market cables on this forum who claim "night and day" differences for their product but produce zero subjective evidence to support those claims?

Dec 7, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #2,994 of 3,098
Nice clickbait title. This is hardly a case of "snake oil", the presenter simply doesn't like how the names are marketed and that they could mislead a less knowledgeable customer. No specs were false or even misleading if one simply reads Intel's descriptors and understands the performance impact. A few less cores on a well built CPU was part of the design is clearly stated on Intel's web site. Core count is not the design element that increases CPU processing capabilities

This "snake oil" hardly compares to the flat out lies spun by audio manufacturers who won't produce the kind of technical content about their product that Intel has in this case. How many companies market cables on this forum who claim "night and day" differences for their product but produce zero subjective evidence to support those claims?
Forget the title😅

5800X3D still beats Intel🤣🤣🤣
0F904007-9836-420E-A6BB-9B48BE9EE062.png

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #2,995 of 3,098
Forget the title😅

5800X3D still beats Intel🤣🤣🤣

Not sure why they measured the K series intel chips and not the faster KS which would be equal/close to the 5800.

That said, I don't think the performance differentials between AMD/Intel top CPUs is meaningful in the overwhelming majority of real world situations

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #2,996 of 3,098
Not sure why they measured the K series intel chips and not the faster KS which would be equal/close to the 5800.

That said, I don't think the performance differentials between AMD/Intel top CPUs is meaningful in real world situation
Have you seen how much the Intel CPU draw in Wattage?

Intels 14900K from intels site
1701972367663.png

Thats more than a "whole" system with 5800X3D

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #2,997 of 3,098

1701972367663.png

Ok, but not sure why that matters when discussing CPU max speed. Also suspect it doesn't matter much to the limited audience for a top end CPU as the majority of the rigs using those CPUs will have an appropriately sized power supply and cooling.

Seems like you're turning this into an AMD/Intel debate and not a discussion of useable performance.

Dec 7, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #2,998 of 3,098

Yeah, I feel like I got baited. Intel was marketting and people market stuff. Gamer Nexus like to point out stuff like this I guess.

I his video production kinda ghetto. His video shots from random places just looks really odd. He should get a better video producer. I think he was shooting for 60 seconds-like news TV show style? No idea. It comes off so amateurish in how it's done.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #2,999 of 3,098
Yeah, I feel like I got baited. Intel was marketting and people market stuff. Gamer Nexus like to point out stuff like this I guess.

I his video production kinda ghetto. His video shots from random places just looks really odd. He should get a better video producer. I think he was shooting for 60 seconds-like news TV show style? No idea. It comes off so amateurish in how it's done.

No problem - I think the video was fairly accurate, just that the title was a little hyperbolic.

Gamer Nexus is usually one of the better review sites in terms of taking measurements and not over-hyping every new chip/drive/card.

Dec 7, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #3,000 of 3,098

Wattage depends on what the software pushes, and the thermal throttling or not. If it has AIO, it will go up to 253, but mainly performance benchmarks pushes it that far. What wattage does AMD overclocks to?

For my 127000k, in cinebench mine would stay around 110-130 range since it was throttling due to poor cooling. But, at idle, it uses a small fraction since I keep the PC at balanced setting.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back