post your computer audio setup
May 30, 2004 at 3:03 PM Post #46 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax
foobar2000 -> Chaintech AV710 -> generic extension -> HD280

I think HD280 is actually the weakest link in this setup. But, it will do for now, since the 280 does have enough isolation that I don't hear the computer fans at all.

If you want isolation, try etymotics.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 30, 2004 at 3:14 PM Post #47 of 89
Asus A7N8X-Delux v1.04 w/Soundstorm -> Analog out to Klipsch Promedia v4.1 -> headphone out to Grado adaptor -> Grado extension -> Grado SR-325
I like it, I love it, I want some more of it so I am going to be building a Gilmore amp and making a backplate with RCA/phono outputs that will connect to the front panel connector on the motherboard. May invest into a DAC once I do some research on them.

May 30, 2004 at 3:39 PM Post #48 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottder
If you want isolation, try etymotics.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll replace the power supply and fans before I'll walk around with little blue and red sticks coming out of my ears!
etysmile.gif
etysmile.gif

(besides, I have E3s, they just aren't comfortable enough to push in and pull out frequently)

May 30, 2004 at 3:54 PM Post #49 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax
I'll replace the power supply and fans before I'll walk around with little blue and red sticks coming out of my ears!
etysmile.gif
etysmile.gif

(besides, I have E3s, they just aren't comfortable enough to push in and pull out frequently)

Who is going to see you anyway? Or are you doing funny things on webcams?
icon10.gif
Besides if you are worried about fashion, go look at yourself in the mirror with the 280's on, the etys are very subtle by comparison.

etysmile.gif

Scott

May 30, 2004 at 4:24 PM Post #50 of 89
I currently don't listen to music at all on the computer. But my current computer audio setup is:

M-Audio Revo --> stock Altec Lansing ICs --> Altec Lansing ACS-48 speakers
evil_smiley.gif

However, I do some vinyl-to-digital transfers on the computer. Thus, I wanted something better than the crappy Sound Blaster cards for that purpose.

May 30, 2004 at 10:36 PM Post #53 of 89
PS Audio P500 power > FLAC > Foobar > EMU 1212M > Zu Firemine > Bel Canto DAC2 > Zu Oxyfuel > Meier Prehead > CD3000/HD650

I recently completed my home rig by building a dedicated computer to host my music collection. My goals were to make it as quiet as possible, with quick startup (22 seconds) and the best possible sound. Control of the computer is handled by a Streamzap remote. I'm very happy to this point. The sound is slightly warmer and more analog-like than my stock Sony C333ES, giving up a small amount of detail in the process.

May 31, 2004 at 7:16 AM Post #54 of 89
Foobar (24/96) -> SB Audigy2 -> Surf Sound WS-620 speakers
smily_headphones1.gif

...Erm... oops... kinda never got into the whole listening to your PC with headphones thing...

The speakers sound good though
smily_headphones1.gif

May 31, 2004 at 7:41 AM Post #55 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Distroyed
That's a result of your cpu not being powerful enough. Try switching to waveout; that solved my problem (the only reason to use asio with a card that doesnt go through the kmixer is for low latency recording - takes up a lot of power to maintain that low latency, which is worthless to us). If that doesnt work you can try lowering the resampling.

At 1.83GHz in stock speed I think it is powerful enough
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
If you want a cheap PSU that performs very well, get a fortron/source model from newegg, the 300W with very-quiet 120MM fan is only $28, and it is much more powerful than other 300 watter's I've used. The only brand worth paying more for is PC Power & Cooling, which have superb voltage stability (depending on the model) and the best build quality and reliability avaliable. Sduibek and I both have the turbo-cool 510 deluxe model, which improved the sound quality of our systems noticeably. The turbo-cools have a fairly loud fan, which I have replaced, BTW.

I have an Antec 300W right now, so I don't think I'd want to replace it with another 300W unit. I have two hard drives, two optical drives, an AMD Barton 2500+ CPU, and an ATI AIW 9800 Pro, so the fact that this computer even boots on the 300W PSU is a miracle. I have had to take my system down to stock speeds for the CPU and video card since it locks up after a few hours of light use, or a few minutes of heavy use, since the weather has gotten warmer. During the winter I could run my CPU at 2.2GHz without issues. The TurboCool looks like a nice unit but is quite expensive. I was thinking about getting a ThermalTake 420W unit that was $50 on NewEgg, as well as a ThermalTake case with 5 fans, including a side fan and a top blowhole fan, since my case only has two 80MM fans to cool it, which just isn't enough.

May 31, 2004 at 5:13 PM Post #56 of 89
Antec sonata case with dynamat and slow fans -> EWX 24/96 -> Cheap RCA cables (to be replaced) -> Sharp XR-X77 executive minisystem (to be replaced) -> Grado SR-125 (to be modded)

I'm happy with my computer finally, and since I'm a believer in "Source first" I'll start to work on the rest. Maybe build myself an amp to replace the Sharp, and get some decent cables.

I'm enjoying the sound, and I can tell a good difference from gonig from Audigy2-> SR-125 to EWX-sharp-SR-125 but I think that the sharp is mucking around on me.

May 31, 2004 at 10:25 PM Post #57 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by donovansmith
At 1.83GHz in stock speed I think it is powerful enough
wink.gif

Well I've got a p4 2.4 and I get major clipping when I run the equalizer with ASIO that's eliminated when I switch to waveout. I'd give it a try rather than dismissing it; we're talking about real-time processing with ASIO.

Jun 1, 2004 at 11:27 PM Post #58 of 89
Main rig:
480 Gbyte HDs -->M-Audio Sonica -->Toslink -->Benchmark DAC1 -->Oehlbach ICs-->Corda Prehead or one of my Stax amps --> headphones depends on kind of music or mood.
Second rig:
200 Gbyte HDs --> unmodded RME digi 96/8 Pad -->Marantz 2235 B or Vincent KHV 111 -->AKG K340 or AKG K240S.
I'm very happy with my fantastic main rig.My second rig, well..........
could be better.
I'm listening via one of my computer rigs 80 % of the time, the rest is listening on the road or rarely via a Harmann CDP(digital out into the Benchmark DAC).
And yes, I own some mid-fi amps and a few speakers(floorstanders) for background music, dancing around and DVD-Video( 4.0 via an Audigy 2).Nothing worth to mention.

Jun 2, 2004 at 12:30 AM Post #59 of 89
mostly lossless (some lossy) files > RME Hammerfall DSP-9652 [plug] for sale [/plug] > Monarchy DIP Classic > custom TDA1543 non-oversampling DAC > Singlepower PPX3-6SN7 (coming) > Sony MDR-CD3000 (to be fixed/modded)

What is the best card for gaming that also has a bit-perfect digital out (and I suppose decent jitter and timing) - preferably with both an optical output and an input?

My Hammerfall DSP-9652, which I am trying to downgrade from, is terrible with games. It is absolutely perfect for everything else, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back