Post-Surgery/Recovery Music Suggestions
Apr 2, 2010 at 4:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sokolov91

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello All,

I have already had a Bankart procedure on my right shoulder last September. Basically they rearrange some tendons to prevent the numerous from slipping out to stop chronic dislocations.

I will be having the same surgery on my left shoulder this coming December and would like some suggestions for music I could listen to and get lost in. I am open to pretty much anything and I am guessing/hoping some good trance will be suggested... but really anything you think that would help me get my mind off pain/frustration/boredom.

I will be doing nothing, not moving much, and confined to my room and very annoyed that I cannot do anything active or requiring effort, while on a decent dose of prescribed oxycodone -so getting lost in the music won't be too hard, but I would like some new quality tunes.

Immersion is #1 quality I would like the music to have. The oxycodone is very effective at killing the sharp pain and producing euphoria, but after after the first few days it is not enough to keep me sane.

Thanks,

Sokolov

Apr 2, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #2 of 7
Here are some of the ones I lose myself in:

Ella Fitzgerald - Clap Hands, Here Comes Charlies, All the Songbooks, Songs for Lovers
Louis Armstrong & Ella Fitzgerald - all the albums
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue, Miles Ahead, Miles Smiles
Frank Sinatra - All of his Capitol era albums
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium, Blood Sex Sugar Magik
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of The Moon
The Beatles - all of their albums
Chet Baker - Sings
Art Blakey - The Big Beat
Francesco Durante - Magnificat in B
J.S. Bach - Solo Cello Suites (Starker, Mercury Living Presence or RCA Red Seal)
TOOL - all of their albums
Porcupine Tree - all of their albums
Dave Brubeck - Time Out
Beverly Kenney - any of her albums
Paul McCartney - Band on the Run
John Lennon - Imagine
Joaquin Sabina - Yo, Mi, Me, Contigo
Handsome Hank - Greatest Hits
Django Reinhardt - Anything by him
Hot Club Sandwich - Green Room
Norah Jones - Come Away with Me
Diana Krall - Quiet Nights
Coleman Hawkins - Desafinado

Apr 2, 2010 at 9:18 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by sokolov91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello All,

I have already had a Bankart procedure on my right shoulder last September. Basically they rearrange some tendons to prevent the numerous from slipping out to stop chronic dislocations.

I will be having the same surgery on my left shoulder this coming December and would like some suggestions for music I could listen to and get lost in. I am open to pretty much anything and I am guessing/hoping some good trance will be suggested... but really anything you think that would help me get my mind off pain/frustration/boredom.

I will be doing nothing, not moving much, and confined to my room and very annoyed that I cannot do anything active or requiring effort, while on a decent dose of prescribed oxycodone -so getting lost in the music won't be too hard, but I would like some new quality tunes.

Immersion is #1 quality I would like the music to have. The oxycodone is very effective at killing the sharp pain and producing euphoria, but after after the first few days it is not enough to keep me sane.

Thanks,

Sokolov

Hi Sokolov,

It seems that you love music, this puts you at a big advantage to make use of music as a tool to get you through a difficult period.

Don't wait until after the op to use music. Start now.

Google the" progressive relaxation response" and use the music to help you switch this on when you will need it post op. You have to find stuff you like,that you know deep down and that chills you ( your taste ). I like Midori, Kitaro, Inyan and binaural beats at 60 beats per min or 1 beat per second.
Listen to this, regulate your breathing and slip into your progressive relaxed state. WHY??

FEAR is the killer, it switches on those systems in your body that delay healing and makes you feel crabby.
confused_face.gif

You can mitigate this stress response cognitively by listening to music, progressively relaxing and tuning down your sympathetic nervous outflow ( adrenaline) then the good stuff takes over and you heal better and feel better.

This takes practise so start now and you will be ready at your op.

But hey, the above are for rest periods, You have to move, move, move and prevent bloodclots and improve your circulation. Use your feet and for this I listen to Annie Lennox and other up tempo stuff . I have found it lets me go at least 15 min longer per exercise session. And while you do fisio for that arm it canes but up the volume and tempo of the songs and you get through that with POWA man.
bigsmile_face.gif

Watch out for the Oxycodone it binds you up, if you use your relax sessions well you may get away with a lower dose.
mad.gif

Also think on the bright side, the op will improve your arm, focus on that.
L3000.gif

Happyshade.

Apr 2, 2010 at 9:47 AM Post #4 of 7
Hi Good luck with the surgery.

For zen-moment immersion:
Ben Harper - Burn to shine album
Willie Dixon - The Chess Box (2 CD, mixed artists)
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Johnny Cash - Americana IV (The man comes around)

For getting-the-job-done immersion:
Rammstein - Herzeleid
Jeff Healey - the best of the jeff healey band
AC/DC - any album

Apr 2, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #6 of 7
Thanks all for the suggestions so far and the kind words! Much appreciated!

t/sound, thanks for the info on progressive relaxation -it makes a lot of sense to get good at it now like you suggest! Yeah I am actually excited for the surgery somewhat as I was unable to throw or play any team sports for 5 years (all of highschool) and my right one is almost completely better... with the left I will be a new man
smily_headphones1.gif

Handberg, Grace is probably one of my favorite CDs and really sticks out like a sore thumb in with the rest of my fav CDs haha.

LFF, Thanks for the list -I have a lot of homework to do! I have seen a lot of those names but never really got into them -except for Tool... I will(always am) be listening to a lot of them
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back