Post punk/ New Wave discussion
Jan 21, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #16 of 84
  I'm not familiar with most of these bands so I'll have to start checking them out. The Raincoats took me a few listens to really get in to it but it is a very good album. 

I've listened to the first couple Killing Joke albums and am definitely a fan. I got their first album years ago before I was really into post punk because of Metallica's cover of "The Wait" and while I wasn't sure what to make of it at first, it has become an album that I really enjoy and it will always have a special place in my heart. More recently I got their second album and I think it is probably superior to the first. It's a little more subtle and the songwriting seems a little more sophisticated. "Madness" is a crazy awesome song. 

You might be right that their second attempt is a bit more refined, but I find the stark beauty and sharp edges of their first to trump it ever so slightly. And yet I believe it's Fire Dances (their fourth?) I've been listening the most to, don't really know why. It is kinda dancy, in a 'dancing with the devil' kind of way. Maybe it reminds me of Dead Can Dance? À propos DCD, if you don't already have, check out their debut album, stonking good. (I do like their later stuff as well, but their first one is quite different and a true gem. Some weird and wonderful mix between Joy Division and Cocteau Twins.)

And more out of personal curiosity: you mentioned earlier that you were familiar with Echo and the Bunnymen through Ocean Rain. Is this because of Donnie Darko? (It was my introduction, I'm just checking if anyone else had the same experience)

Jan 21, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #17 of 84

I'm curious as to what you were listening to beforehand (spotify, youtube, internet rip, orignal cd, etc?)

Just an Internet rip. (Didn't want to mention that on the forum before, because I didn't know if it was taboo to talk about listening to music without buying it). A lot of this stuff I actually listened to rips of the original LPs because it was impossible to buy anything at a reasonable price until the CDs were reissued. 

Jan 21, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #19 of 84
  Just an Internet rip. (Didn't want to mention that on the forum before, because I didn't know if it was taboo to talk about listening to music without buying it). A lot of this stuff I actually listened to rips of the original LPs because it was impossible to buy anything at a reasonable price until the CDs were reissued. 

I was mainly curious because I would have been surprised if you had thought Cold Storage version was better than the original CD. I definitely know what you mean about expensive music though. If you have Half Price Books near you, I would recommend checking them out. All their stores I have been to have had great used CD selections for a good price (usually a dollar.) For really specific/tough to find CDs, Discogs is pretty good but the cost of shipping makes it less appealing. 

You might be right that their second attempt is a bit more refined, but I find the stark beauty and sharp edges of their first to trump it ever so slightly. And yet I believe it's Fire Dances (their fourth?) I've been listening the most to, don't really know why. It is kinda dancy, in a 'dancing with the devil' kind of way. Maybe it reminds me of Dead Can Dance? À propos DCD, if you don't already have, check out their debut album, stonking good. (I do like their later stuff as well, but their first one is quite different and a true gem. Some weird and wonderful mix between Joy Division and Cocteau Twins.)

And more out of personal curiosity: you mentioned earlier that you were familiar with Echo and the Bunnymen through Ocean Rain. Is this because of Donnie Darko? (It was my introduction, I'm just checking if anyone else had the same experience)

That's probably fair to say. I'm gonna have to start working my way through their discography again (not sure why I stopped.) I've heard of Dead Can Dance before but never listened to them. Mix of Cocteau Twins and Joy Division? Sign me up. They're on Beats Music so I'll check 'em out. 

I actually was introduced to Echo and the Bunnymen through Donnie Darko (such a great movie.) Killing moon is probably one of my most-listened to songs because of that movie. Tough to get tired of that one.

Edit: Just finished listening to Dead Can Dance and Killing Joke. I think your Cocteau Twins/Joy Division comparison was apt. Very good stuff. And Killing Joke  was even better than I remembered it being.

Jan 22, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #20 of 84
I've recently properly got into Blondie after many years of them being on the periphery of my listening pleasures. I have learned that their debut "Blondie" is great fun if listened to sparingly. Also that I prefer Plastic Letters to Parallel Lines. And that Eat to the Beat is a really great album. Slow Motion is proving highly addictive to my ears.

Jan 23, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #21 of 84
  I've recently properly got into Blondie after many years of them being on the periphery of my listening pleasures. I have learned that their debut "Blondie" is great fun if listened to sparingly. Also that I prefer Plastic Letters to Parallel Lines. And that Eat to the Beat is a really great album. Slow Motion is proving highly addictive to my ears.

I'm just getting into Blondie. I've listened to their debut and I just listened to Parallel Lines last night. Enjoyed both of them. They really are fun albums that don't require me to be super focused on all of the details to enjoy them yet they're really is quite a bit of depth and layers to the sound if you decide to pay close attention

Feb 6, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #22 of 84
Lots of great stuff mentioned on this thread already - Joy Division, Comsat Angels, Chameleons, Killing Joke - but here's a few other suggestions I haven't seen mentioned yet; a few of my personal faves:

Modern English
Clock DVA
Dif Juz
Japan
In Camera
Isolation Ward

Clock DVA's later stuff tended towards synth and electronica, but their first couple of albums, Advantage and Thirst, were very much new wave / post-punk. Cocteau Twins started off in that vein as well with Garlands.

Feb 6, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #23 of 84
Dif Juz, had almost forgotten about them. More laid back (even slightly 'jangly' à la Felt) than most of what has been mentioned so far, but a good call.
Signed to 4AD, along with DCD and Cocteau Twins, as far as I can remember.

Feb 6, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #24 of 84
  Dif Juz, had almost forgotten about them. More laid back (even slightly 'jangly' à la Felt) than most of what has been mentioned so far, but a good call.
Signed to 4AD, along with DCD and Cocteau Twins, as far as I can remember.

That's right - In Camera and Modern English also had their debuts on 4AD. Great label in the early 80s.

Feb 9, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #25 of 84
Been listening to some suggestions from this thread that I have been able to get my hands on. Lots of good stuff y'all have mentioned.
Highlights include:
Delta 5 - Got their singles collection, great stuff
Dead Can Dance - Debut album is really good
DAF - One of their compilation albums. It's different than what I'm used to but I really enjoy it. I'll be keeping my eye open for more stuff from these guys
The Units - Digital Stimulation. Can't get into most music that is so synth-focused but this album was the exception to the rule
Josef K - Just great
Bauhaus - In The Flat Field: I've known about this band for a while but didn't really pursue them until I saw the praise for them in this thread. It's well deserved

I'm listening to Extractions  by Dif Juz right now. Different than what I'm used and reminds me of The Durutti Column. That being said, I much prefer it to the The Durutti Column. One of the best instrumental albums (so far) that I've heard in a long time. 

This thread has been a goldmine for really good music that I never would have known about. I much appreciate y'all's suggestions

Feb 9, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #26 of 84
The Mighty Lemon Drops

Feb 14, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #27 of 84
Just discovered another one in the last week or two:   

The Feelies:  Crazy Rhythms

The Feelies were a big influence on R.E.M.  Peter Buck later produced their second album.  I also hear similarities between the Feelies and the Violent Femmes.  It took me about 5 listens to start getting into it.  Some really drums and interesting percussion on this album.

Feb 28, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #29 of 84
I mentioned the band "DIIV" earlier in the thread.  They released a new album "Is the Are Is" in February. Their debut "Oshin" is one of my favorite albums of the 2000's.  "Is the Are Is" isn't as good but still, a solid follow up.  I've heard complaints that it's too long and all the songs sound the same, but I really like it anyway. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back