Post pictures of your Tube Tester(s)!
Jul 22, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #31 of 40
Quote:
Don't underestimate a nice Jackson.
Many Hickok can't test WE tubes, most Jackson can.
They have a superior leakage and shorts circuit than Hickok, and the results are based on plate current.

Cool - didn't know that!  I have been impressed with the 658A.  It's a much older machine than the B&K 747, yet it seems to be able to test a lot more tubes.  I've actually found a few mistakes in the B&K tube test settings for some tubes.  It's fine for the prevalent tubes, but something out of the ordinary the Jackson just takes in stride.  I have to make adjustments on the B&K, though.

Jul 27, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #34 of 40
I love my 747. I've had a 1/2 dozen different testers over the last 30 years. The 747 is my most used and most useful.

Oct 29, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #35 of 40
To test and match our tubes, I found this tester also discussed here  
wink.gif
   is it any good and is there alternative testers recommended ? 

Another question : is matching usually only done based on bias reading, or it should be done on several parameters results ? 

Oct 29, 2016 at 7:07 AM Post #37 of 40

Oct 5, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #38 of 40
Nice - didn't know this thread existed.

I can't compete with the Hickok stuff, but I do have a couple of nice Jacksons:

A fairly typical 648S:

(A very nice Jackson 658A seen on the right.)

My pride and joy is an immaculate B&K 747 (fully restored and calibrated):

I just received mine and sent her out to @bcowen (The Restoration King) for an overhaul. He's doing some great thorough work with her, we're both finding out that it might not test a few tubes as well as other testers, the 5998 for example. I've also read that some 12v tubes don't test as well on the BK. Little bummed about the 5998 but I carry mostly 6SN7 type tubes, so she'll be used a lot. Cool thread..glad I found this!
2020-09-22 20.49.57-1.jpg2020-09-22 16.52.37-1.jpg

Oct 6, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #39 of 40
I just received mine and sent her out to @bcowen (The Restoration King) for an overhaul. He's doing some great thorough work with her, we're both finding out that it might not test a few tubes as well as other testers, the 5998 for example. I've also read that some 12v tubes don't test as well on the BK. Little bummed about the 5998 but I carry mostly 6SN7 type tubes, so she'll be used a lot. Cool thread..glad I found this!

I didn't know this thread existed either. Nice resurrection! I just hope your 747 can be resurrected too. :laughing: :laughing:

This has been my go to tester for close to 20 years. Fully rebuilt with calibration dialed in perfectly. I check calibration about every 6 months, and after the rebuild it has stayed almost right on the money. The original case was in poor shape, so I made one for it, along with a Lexan cover to keep the dust off:

752A 1.jpg

This is one of the reasons it's been my favorite: the 2nd plate button which allows for testing the 2nd triode in a dual triode tube by just pushing and holding this button. Most other testers require resetting 4 or more rotary controls or sliders for dual triodes.

752A 2.jpg

Also use a (rebuilt) Weston 981 Type 3, mostly for checking power tubes and rectifiers as it has a much beefier transformer and throws higher plate voltages to those tubes than the Hickok. The circuit is pretty much the same as the venerable Triplett 3444 (and the Heathkit TT-1A):

Weston 981 Type 3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back