Post pictures of your setup!
Dec 10, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #331 of 341
Going to have to change my listening habits and start compensating headphones for speakers, my tinnitus is getting worse! might have to retire from headphone listening altogether! :expressionless:
IMG_0189.JPG
IMG_0188.JPG

Dec 10, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #333 of 341
Going to have to change my listening habits and start compensating headphones for speakers, my tinnitus is getting worse! might have to retire from headphone listening altogether! :expressionless:
IMG_0189.JPGIMG_0188.JPG
I have a lightly tinnitus (I hear like an interference with some songs -or passages- in my left ear and mainly when I'm in my car listening to it's simple stock radio). With headphones, sometimes (once, a doctor said to me that the tinnitus shows when you are nervous) with some headphones it appears but only in certain passages of songs. I think my Sony Z7s produce some days a little, but not all the days.

Dec 10, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #334 of 341
I have a lightly tinnitus (I hear like an interference with some songs -or passages- in my left ear and mainly when I'm in my car listening to it's simple stock radio). With headphones, sometimes (once, a doctor said to me that the tinnitus shows when you are nervous) with some headphones it appears but only in certain passages of songs. I think my Sony Z7s produce some days a little, but not all the days.
It's so annoying, isn't it? :weary: I've had Tinnitus for about 4 or 5 years but it was bearable for me, I experienced the high frequency buzz sound and I think it was headphones that caused it, it might have been the bass heavy JVC HA-SZ2000's I had in 2016, those headphones where explosive, I tell you. Like wearing a subwoofer on my head, lol. I probably listened to them louder than I should have, but after a while the Tinnitus did seem to go away, then it would come back but only temporarily. The last 4 weeks or so has been seriously annoying as it has came back with a vengeance, but it's a different kind of Tinnitus this time, a far more annoying kind;. It's called Pulsatile Tinnitus, is much louder than the other kind I used to have, and any kind of music listening through headphones at medium volume levels exacerbates it to the point where it becomes a real problem. The most annoying thing is that I think it might be my Fostex TH500RP planar magnetic headphones that have caused it, as it seems to get loudest when I use the planar's. I guess planars must shift more air than dynamic drivers. Hmm..very annoying. I am probably going to have to take a break from planars, aargh! 🤦‍♂️
The last thing I want is to end up deaf in my right ear, I already have eyesight damage in my right eye! aargh again! lol. 🤦‍♂️

Dec 10, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #335 of 341
It's so annoying, isn't it? :weary: I've had Tinnitus for about 4 or 5 years but it was bearable for me, I experienced the high frequency buzz sound and I think it was headphones that caused it, it might have been the bass heavy JVC HA-SZ2000's I had in 2016, those headphones where explosive, I tell you. Like wearing a subwoofer on my head, lol. I probably listened to them louder than I should have, but after a while the Tinnitus did seem to go away, then it would come back but only temporarily. The last 4 weeks or so has been seriously annoying as it has came back with a vengeance, but it's a different kind of Tinnitus this time, a far more annoying kind;. It's called Pulsatile Tinnitus, is much louder than the other kind I used to have, and any kind of music listening through headphones at medium volume levels exacerbates it to the point where it becomes a real problem. The most annoying thing is that I think it might be my Fostex TH500RP planar magnetic headphones that have caused it, as it seems to get loudest when I use the planar's. I guess planars must shift more air than dynamic drivers. Hmm..very annoying. I am probably going to have to take a break from planars, aargh! 🤦‍♂️
The last thing I want is to end up deaf in my right ear, I already have eyesight damage in my right eye! aargh again! lol. 🤦‍♂️
I have tinnitus too. I think it’s caused by some medicine I take, and I drink caffeine and vape nicotine (both are associated with tinnitus apparently). I find the opposite to be true of planars vs dynamic headphones. With my planars the tinnitus is fine and manageable (TCs or Susvaras), but with my dynamic headphones (mainly Utopias), my tinnitus flares up more. It’s not terrible once you “trick” your brain to kind of ignore it, but it’s still annoying. I actually sold my first pair of Utopias because of that, but I ended up buying them again (they’re a great pair of cans).

It’s interesting that you mention bass cannon headphones. I have sometimes wondered if the TCs could be hurting my ears with their humongous bass. They also sound like subwoofers in your ears. I measure the decibel level of my cans, and even very loud, the highest it gets to has been like 77db. With the way the TCs fit, it’s very difficult to get an accurate reading with the bass. I wonder how loud the “subwoofer” type bass really is? :thinking:

I had tinnitus prior to the TCs, and it hasn’t gotten any worse I don’t think, but I still wonder…

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #336 of 341
I have tinnitus too. I think it’s caused by some medicine I take, and I drink caffeine and vape nicotine (both are associated with tinnitus apparently). I find the opposite to be true of planars vs dynamic headphones. With my planars the tinnitus is fine and manageable (TCs or Susvaras), but with my dynamic headphones (mainly Utopias), my tinnitus flares up more. It’s not terrible once you “trick” your brain to kind of ignore it, but it’s still annoying. I actually sold my first pair of Utopias because of that, but I ended up buying them again (they’re a great pair of cans).

It’s interesting that you mention bass cannon headphones. I have sometimes wondered if the TCs could be hurting my ears with their humongous bass. They also sound like subwoofers in your ears. I measure the decibel level of my cans, and even very loud, the highest it gets to has been like 77db. With the way the TCs fit, it’s very difficult to get an accurate reading with the bass. I wonder how loud the “subwoofer” type bass really is? :thinking:

I had tinnitus prior to the TCs, and it hasn’t gotten any worse I don’t think, but I still wonder…
I never thought to measure the decibel level of the Ha-SZ2000 when I had them, but it was probably a good bit louder than what I thought it was at the time. The ear pads of the HA-SZ2000 where very thin (almost no depth compared to the ear pads you get with a fostex biocellulose) and so my ears where very close (almost touching) to the large 55mm dynamic drivers, also the HA-SZ2000 had smaller 30mm drivers (or was it 35mm ?! I can’t remember.) behind the large 55mm drivers, so there was a high level of ambient noise inside the housing/earcups of the HA-SZ2000 which would’ve amplified the db levels, no doubt, so when I listen with the HA-SZ2000 on my iPhone and set the volume at around 70%, in reality the decibel level was probably at least 5db higher. I don’t know what it is about the Fostex TH500RP but something about it’s sound exacerbates my tinnitus, when I take the TH500RP off my head after a 2 hour long listening session listening at around 65-70db, it takes about half an hour for the tinnitus to quieten down to the point where it’s less audible thus less annoying and more bearable. This exacerbation of my tinnitus does not happen so much when I listen with my Sennheiser HD206 or soft sounding AKG K702, to the extent of which it happens when I listen with the TH500RP. I am no scientist, but drawing from memory of articles I’ve read in the past, I’m pretty sure that low frequency sound waves use up more air/shift it in greater quantities compared to high frequency sound waves. If you stood right next to the turbofan (those gigantic fan thingys on the wings of commercial airliners) of an airplane, you would experience allot of pain and instant deafness, and maybe even death. Turbofans are one of the loudest known noises in the world, at something like 120db. Anyways, that was slightly off topic, sorry, lol.
I do drink up to 5-6 coffees a day so maybe that is a factor in my tinnitus, also, terrerio mentioned about worry, well I do worry from time to time and experience high levels of anxiety (it’s been a stressful year for me, family troubles) so maybe that is s factor too, but I definitely think it’s been headphones that have caused my tinnitus, for the most part. Ah well, I’d better take a break for a while, or listen at very low volume levels, lol.

Jun 2, 2023 at 11:33 PM Post #340 of 341

Users who are viewing this thread

Back