Post Pictures of your DIY Gear
Mar 23, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #31 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewFischer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can design and build just about anything with these few basic tools:

Well, unless you include the picture further down with the pencil, I don't believe you :p. Maybe you use the Palm III?

Here's my embarrassing workbench:

Of note:
  1. Chinese $5 meter (plus $20 shipping)
  2. Roll of duct tape
  3. Cheap off-brand iron that's way too hot
  4. Unfinished digital project on breadboard (LEDs!)
  5. Lack of boutique components or cleanliness

And my 'other' workbench (turn right 90 degrees):

1. Uncased CK2III perched precariously on desk
  2. Stallings' Data and Computer Communications stashed conveniently under desk, on top of DK catalogue
  3. Garbage can that probably has about 10KG of refuse stuffed into it
  4. Awful Kenwood receiver powering awful 20 year old 2-ways
  5. The coolest candy I've seen (see below)

Mar 23, 2007 at 5:13 AM Post #32 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewFischer
I can design and build just about anything with these few basic tools:

No duct tape, cable ties or rubber bands, I call BS.
tongue.gif

Mar 23, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #33 of 44
Still working on some mods for my Dynahi, so my tools are still out. Finished the heatsink extension, will now proceed with an extension for the volume knob. The Alps blue pot instead of being right behind the front plate of the amp will now be located at the back of the enclosure, very close to the RCA inputs. This is an idea I got from Guru and one of his Veda Audio implementations of the Dynahi. The idea is to shorten the signal path as much as possible inside the amp.

Arranged the tools for this pic, so besides the tools in the generic pic, here's a spread-out of my eDIY tools.

eDIY_Tools_001.jpg

A brief inventory, from top to bottom and left to right:

TOP:
Scissors and metallic brushes
Dremmel tool
Aluminum tape and duck tape (
wink.gif
)
Bunch of alligator clips of different colors
Anoter scissor (titanium)
Square file, round file, and some screwdrivers

MIDDLE:
Contact cleaner, alcohol, and some cottom swabs
Soldering irons
Soldering wicks
Soldering flux/paste
Tip Tinner and Cleaner
Solder (one from Cardas, the others different thicknesses from Radio Shack)
Heat shrink and lighter
Small protoboard
Solid core copper wire (red and black, from Radio shack)
Silver plated stranded copper wire (white, from Belden)
Cable ties of different colors
Electrical tapes of different colors
Reusable velcro cable ties

BOTTOM:
Measuring tape and ruler
Anti-static kit
Multimeters (one digital, one analog)
Swiss Army knife
Assortment of scissors, tweezers, cable cutters, x-acto knife, pliers
L wrenches kit
Small screw driver kits

Mar 23, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #34 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by error401 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, unless you include the picture further down with the pencil, I don't believe you :p. Maybe you use the Palm III?

I used to (and still do occasionally) program Palm Pilots as my day job. Yes I've actually used a Palm for engineering design work.

Serious answer:

Free SPICE, the internet, cheap or free layout programs cheap quick-turn PCB fabs, Front Panel Express and e-machine shop. Wow. Just don't need as many tools as I used too. FPE does a much better job then I ever could. I still toy with the idea of someday owning a distortion analyzer. I can't justify it. I do use the TDS-1002 from work.

I don't even buy stripboard anymore. My last three or four projects went direct from the computer to PCB.

My main home computer is a 6 year old "HP" or half-price. It even says half-price on the case. Junk. I also have a dual processor Sparc 20 in a rack mount.
It looks a lot like this out of the rack case:
http://www.obsolyte.com/sunPICS/sparc20/sparc20_sd.jpg
I haven't turned the Sun on in over a year. My wife has a brand new iMac. Eagle works great on the iMac.

I've tried a few different flavors of free spice. Right now I'm using the one from LT. Amazingly good for a freebie.

Edit: Forgot one. CVS. I set up a CVSNT server on my desktop at work. I use it along with a WinCVS client on my home PC for all my DIY projects. BOM, spice files, Eagle libraries. Text notes... Everything.

Mar 28, 2007 at 8:33 AM Post #35 of 44
worksetupux8.jpg

toollayout1fy3.jpg

deltawithcsviseiy8.jpg

Test Equipment

Multimeter - Velleman DVW345DI
Oscilloscope - B&K Precision
Function Generator - HP 3311A

Electric Tools
Soldering Iron - Weller WP25 and Weller D550
Hand Drill - Black & Decker 7190 3.5A
Drill Press - Delta DP200 with Pittsburgh 5" Cross Slide Vise
Wood Cutting - Circular Saw and Jig Saw

Hand Tools
Screwdrivers - Philips, Slot, Torx, Robertson, Precision, and 1/4" drive Socket Handle
Pliers - Sider Cutter, Needle Nose, Slip Joint, Flush Cut, Curved Nose, Round Nose, Curved Jaw Vise-Grip, Long Nose Vise-Grip, Metal Shear, Curved + Straight 10" Forceps, Klein 20 to 30ga Wire Strippers, GC 10 to 22ga Wire Strippers, and 18" Bolt Cutters
Sockets - 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drive six-point in standard + metric in both normal + deep, 1/4" drive Torx, 3/8" drive Allen in standard + metric, and 3/8" drive Crowfoot in standard + metric
Ratchets - 1/4" drive normal handle, 1/4" low profile head, 3/8" drive normal handle x2, 3/8" low profile head, 3/8" stubby handle flex head, 3/8" long curved handle flex head, 3/8" long handle, 1/2" drive normal handle x2, 1/2" drive Breaker Bar x2; 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drive short, medium, long, and super long Extensions; various driver size adapters and universal joints
Wrenches - Stubby Combination, Normal Combination, Ratcheting Combination, Deep Offset Box End, Flare Nut, all in both standard + metric; small, medium, and large Cresent Wrenches
Files - 6 Piece Needle Set, 1/4" Rat Tail, 1/2" Flat, 3/4" Flat, and 5/8" Half Round
Hack Saw - Starrett High Tension and Stanley Mini with 18, 24, and 32TPI Starret Bi-Metal Blades
Misc Stuff - Allen Keys in metric + standard, Pop Rivet Gun + Rivets of all sizes in aluminum, steel, and stainless, C-Clamps in small, medium, and large, Helping Hands, 4" Bench Vise, Chisels - metal and wood, Hammers x2, Baby Sledge, Stanley SharpTooth wood saws - small and meduim, Rulers of all sizes, Right Angle Rulers, X-Acto Knife normal and large, Digital Calipers, misc Taps and Dies, Tap Handles - 4 different sizes, Ratcheting Tap Handle, misc Drills in Fractional + Metric, 1/4" and 1/2" drive Torque Wrenches, various Counter Sink Bits, Automatic Center Punch, and Tweezers

Many of my hand tools are in storage down the street since I really don't have room for my toolbox in my apartment, but the stuff on the table is usually all I need when doing audio related projects. I also have a bunch of misc wire, misc hardware and fasteners, misc caps and resistors, and various plastics + metals to fab things from.

Mar 29, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #38 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKi][er /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are all way too neat. I don't believe and of you can actually do any work with that state your workspace is in

You should've seen what it looked like before I cleaned it all up for the photos.
blink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dcheming - we share drill presses, but that cross slide vise is a nice touch - been thinking about one of those from Harbor Freight, maybe.

It's been a pretty decent little drill press and the price was excellent. I was lucky enough to get that 5" cross slide vise on sale from Harbor Freight for $30 even though the sale had expired two days previous. My only complaint is that with it mounted on the little Delta there is only about 3" from the top of the vise to the bottom of the drill chuck. A set of stubby drills would be ideal, but they're not too easy to find in an affordable set. If only the column was a few inches taller it'd be the perfect little setup.

Mar 29, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #44 of 44
Okay, I just took pictures as I organised everything. I went a little crazy on the pics, still left out my heat gun and dremel and my cable and heatshrink section on my bookshelf. My parts aren't quite as impressive as some others but I have a lot more stuff than I first thought, not bad for a student really.
biggrin.gif

First up, my room:

Tools1.jpg

DMM.jpg

Notlytics.jpg

Lytics.jpg

Stuff.jpg

Drawer1.jpg

Drawer2.jpg

Corner.jpg

I had no cookies so I included some near at hand jw black label, that counts right... ?
cool.gif

Luckily for you guys the grey parts drawers are empty.

Bookshelf speakers are no names so don't look twice.
wink.gif

Next up where the magic happens in the garage:
Garage.jpg

Garage2.jpg

Garage3.jpg

Yes, mdf without bracing doesn't hold up too well.
biggrin.gif

I live with my parents so all those tools up the top are the old mans, he's a tradesman. I have access to quite nice selection of power tools. Just need a drill press though, I do have a friend who lives up the road with a drill press and lathe, but I'd like the convenience of my own.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well hope my pics spree may interest someone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back