Sep 15, 2011 at 7:50 AM Post #1,456 of 4,134

Quote:

Tojiro DP Gyutou - Japanese VG-10

I can finally retire my steak knife from preparation duty
tongue.gif

beautiful knive!

Sep 15, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #1,457 of 4,134
Quote:
I think I like the packaging as much as the knife itself, very nice, enjoy !

Quote:
beautiful knive!

Thanks! I was doing extensive research on good entry-level cooking knives and really just had to stop my reading altogether to pull the trigger on something. It would seem that in comparison to the headphone industry, the cooking knife industry exceeds that of my experience here. There are so many different metal compositions, blade styles, countries of origin and manufacturers that it's mind boggling. It may be because I'm still very novice to the field, I don't know, but next up is sharpening stones!

Sep 17, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #1,461 of 4,134

Quote:
How is it? I am thinking about getting a Sailor FP since they are supposedly the smoothest writers for the price.

I'm sorry, explain to my why you would need a fountain pen? Or a expensive pen in the first place?

I just use the super fine needle pens and that's all I use.

Sep 17, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #1,463 of 4,134

Quote:
It lists and sells for over $1,000.  It's a leather sewing machine.  I picked up a used one today because it needs to be adjusted and tuned up.  Paid: $100.   
tongue_smile.gif

Uhhh, leather work. Maybe ill have to PM you sometime when you get situated about some work being dont. And, how the heck do you adjust a sawing machine?

Sep 17, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #1,464 of 4,134

Quote:
I'm sorry, explain to my why you would need a fountain pen? Or a expensive pen in the first place?

I just use the super fine needle pens and that's all I use.

I am a student thus I write all day so I think the cost is justified. It makes writing a joy if that makes any sense. I have a Hero 329 and a Lamy Studio currently. The $50 for the Studio is justified IMO but it still isn't as smooth as I'd like it to be. 

Sep 17, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #1,465 of 4,134

Quote:
How is it? I am thinking about getting a Sailor FP since they are supposedly the smoothest writers for the price.

I have a Lamy Studio too, for lefy's it is very scratch and i have to slow down and really concentrate to keep it inked.  I had the Sailor set up for left hand pushing and got the nib set to juicy and it flows great, like on ice almost no resistance.  It is luxurious and a pleasure to use that is beyond my expectations were.

As for the question about why, I write at work and I learn things thru writing as others learn things through reading or through listening.  In college, i recopied notes time after time and outline after outline to learn things, reading just came in and out with no retention.  I find that i can process my thoughts and emotions(if i have any) better through writing.  I am kind of sloppy with it but i realize that fountain pens even out my writing and make it flow smoother.  Otherwise there is no reason just as there is no reason to have headphones except by choice and in fact even listen to music except by choice.  In fact i have had periods in my life when music was way down on the list of priorities............. so some could ask you as well why do you need more than the earbuds that come with your ipod.

Sep 18, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #1,466 of 4,134

Quote:
Uhhh, leather work. Maybe ill have to PM you sometime when you get situated about some work being dont. And, how the heck do you adjust a sawing machine?

Actually, if a machine gets out of adjustment, it is referred to as "being out of time."  When a machine is at that level, the rotating components down under the plate (bobbin, feeder, etc.) are not in synch with the needle when it goes down in the plate to try to mate with the bobbin thread to make a stitch.  The components under the plate are adjustable so that the rotation will synchronize with the needle so a good stitch can be made and the machine can keep consistently making stitches as one sews.  If the adjustment is off - even by 1/8", things can go wrong and the machine will not sew correctly.  

I can be easy for a machine to become "out of time."  Typically, shops that have industrial machines have some sort of service plan with local industrial machine repair services where they get periodic tune-ups to keep their machines operating at their peak performance.

At the moment, I'm currently up to 4 industrial machines.  I'm going to keep 2 of them.  The other two - which are both on industrial sewing tables and have 1/2 HP motors, are being rebuilt and refinished, which I will then sell off.  Those two machines - A singer and a Pfaff, are really workhorses and can capably sew lighter garment leather.  However, the motor needs to be slowed down a bit (smaller pulley at the motor level or the purchase of a $120 servo motor), will allow these machines to work better for homeowners.  In their current state, they are meant for high-speed production work in a factory where they operate many hours a day to turn out many garments.

Sep 18, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #1,467 of 4,134

Quote:
I am a student thus I write all day so I think the cost is justified. It makes writing a joy if that makes any sense. I have a Hero 329 and a Lamy Studio currently. The $50 for the Studio is justified IMO but it still isn't as smooth as I'd like it to be. 

I'm a writing student and barely use a pen. Maybe I need to try one out to see what it's like.

Sep 18, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #1,468 of 4,134

Quote:
Actually, if a machine gets out of adjustment, it is referred to as "being out of time."  When a machine is at that level, the rotating components down under the plate (bobbin, feeder, etc.) are not in synch with the needle when it goes down in the plate to try to mate with the bobbin thread to make a stitch.  The components under the plate are adjustable so that the rotation will synchronize with the needle so a good stitch can be made and the machine can keep consistently making stitches as one sews.  If the adjustment is off - even by 1/8", things can go wrong and the machine will not sew correctly.  

I can be easy for a machine to become "out of time."  Typically, shops that have industrial machines have some sort of service plan with local industrial machine repair services where they get periodic tune-ups to keep their machines operating at their peak performance.

At the moment, I'm currently up to 4 industrial machines.  I'm going to keep 2 of them.  The other two - which are both on industrial sewing tables and have 1/2 HP motors, are being rebuilt and refinished, which I will then sell off.  Those two machines - A singer and a Pfaff, are really workhorses and can capably sew lighter garment leather.  However, the motor needs to be slowed down a bit (smaller pulley at the motor level or the purchase of a $120 servo motor), will allow these machines to work better for homeowners.  In their current state, they are meant for high-speed production work in a factory where they operate many hours a day to turn out many garments.

What do those leather sewing machines go for? Are you a good leather worker?
biggrin.gif

Sep 18, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #1,470 of 4,134

Quote:
You should. Something basic like a Lamy Studio or a Hero 329 could spark up interest.

I'd rather spend it on a good keyboard.

My Microsoft 3000 keyboard is almost 9 months old and already starting to break down on me. That's how much I type.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back