Post pic(s) of your latest "significant" purchase(s)!!! v2.0
Jun 20, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #2,416 of 4,134
Some quick impressions on this. These things work great with just a regular headphone out on your device. 

I was a bit skeptical on a loudspeaker + iDevice combo like this, but man was I wrong. My SRM450s would have none of that and needed more gain to sound proper. These K12s sound just as good from an iDevice as they do from a decent DAC. 

Right now I have them configured like this:

iMac (acting as volume control also) > Calyx 24/192 (Balanced) > K12 (via XLR)
TV (Headphone out, volume control) > K12 (via RCA)

I can use them for my TV this way or just switch to music whenever I want. Plenty of power to go around and no problem having more than one source hooked up at a time. 

You could actually run a complete K12 + Sub system off your iPod because the K12s have sub outputs built into them as well. Oh, and the DSP these things offer is amazing. When you switch it to 'Deep' mode the bass just ramps way up. Extension doesn't improve but the rumble sure does. If I didn't want the extra extension a sub will offer I'd be fine with these things in Deep mode.

EDIT: I wouldn't suggest running these with an LOD. You can but your volume control would be the gains on the speakers themselves. That'd offer a much less precise (and hard to access) volume control. Just use the regular headphone out or put a preamp / mixer in the mix.

Quote:

Please do post your impression and try LOD on iDevices please.

Jun 21, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #2,417 of 4,134
Quote:
Some quick impressions on this. These things work great with just a regular headphone out on your device. 

I was a bit skeptical on a loudspeaker + iDevice combo like this, but man was I wrong. My SRM450s would have none of that and needed more gain to sound proper. These K12s sound just as good from an iDevice as they do from a decent DAC. 

Right now I have them configured like this:

iMac (acting as volume control also) > Calyx 24/192 (Balanced) > K12 (via XLR)
TV (Headphone out, volume control) > K12 (via RCA)

I can use them for my TV this way or just switch to music whenever I want. Plenty of power to go around and no problem having more than one source hooked up at a time. 

You could actually run a complete K12 + Sub system off your iPod because the K12s have sub outputs built into them as well. Oh, and the DSP these things offer is amazing. When you switch it to 'Deep' mode the bass just ramps way up. Extension doesn't improve but the rumble sure does. If I didn't want the extra extension a sub will offer I'd be fine with these things in Deep mode.

EDIT: I wouldn't suggest running these with an LOD. You can but your volume control would be the gains on the speakers themselves. That'd offer a much less precise (and hard to access) volume control. Just use the regular headphone out or put a preamp / mixer in the mix.

Thanks, I think I will pick a pair up next weekend to give it a try.

Jun 21, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #2,418 of 4,134

Genelec 7050B subwoofer

Jun 24, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #2,419 of 4,134
A 2nd set of Senn  HD580, like I really need them. 
rolleyes.gif

Jun 24, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #2,422 of 4,134
Quote:
A 2nd set of Senn  HD580, like I really need them. 
rolleyes.gif

Congrats on your new purchase. Just out of interest, what have you found to be the best cable for the HD 580/600?

Jun 24, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #2,423 of 4,134
Best is relative to hour ears and our wallets! Having said that when I did a bunch of testing a few years ago my favorite was from a company that stopped delivering and made a few customers very irate. My next choice and at much less money was the Headphile BlackSilver cable.

Jun 24, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #2,424 of 4,134

Portable recorder with an insane amount of features. 

And Naiant U-O condensers for my binaural dummy head. 
Also a record brush, 3.5" connectors, and shipping for my Shure 940s warranty repair.

Jun 24, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #2,426 of 4,134
Quote:
You have a binaural dummy head?
Awesome.
How much do those things cost anyway? I imagine they are really expensive.

Yup, and no not really, if you DIY it. Unless you want 100% perfect sound.  All you need is a $20 foam dummy head, and whatever mics you end up getting for it, obviously more expensive mics are better but i managed to get a very decent soundstage with some knockoff Sm57s. The mics that i just got that should get me a very accurate image were a total of $70. From there you just need to wire everything up inside the head and get something to record it to.(In my case a $230 used H4n).

Jun 24, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #2,427 of 4,134
Yup, and no not really, if you DIY it. Unless you want 100% perfect sound.  All you need is a $20 foam dummy head, and whatever mics you end up getting for it, obviously more expensive mics are better but i managed to get a very decent soundstage with some knockoff Sm57s. The mics that i just got that should get me a very accurate image were a total of $70. From there you just need to wire everything up inside the head and get something to record it to.(In my case a $230 used H4n).

Cool. What do you use it for though? Recording music?

Care to share a picture, by the way? I'm interested in seeing it. :D

Jun 24, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #2,428 of 4,134
Quote:
Cool. What do you use it for though? Recording music?
Care to share a picture, by the way? I'm interested in seeing it.
biggrin.gif

Ya recording music. I'll be using it for recording drums for a metalcore band. I also use it to record their practice so they can listen through it and laugh at the dumb stuff they say. When i get my new mics ill be using it to record a Caribbean influenced drum circle type music. If you have any ideas on interesting atmospheres that would sound cool, relaxing or something other than your standard beach. Feel free to ask. 

Jun 24, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #2,430 of 4,134
I'll be tricking out a 'transportable' recording rig soon for something similar. Probably going to consist of my Mackbook, Duet 2, a pair of decent mics, and a Signature Pro. 

I'm wanting to go around and possibly record local street performers as well as various friends to start, but I'd really like to get a feel for 'properly' micing a drum kit as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back