Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Apr 20, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #1,669 of 5,383

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qVPNONdF58

Quote:
Sorry I'm not really versed with your music preferences.

Who are the Blind Melon again?

Apr 20, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #1,670 of 5,383
Quote:

here a few pics you wanted analogsurviver

I had a CJ55 for many years. Great Table. It finally died (Motor went out) and I got rid of it. I had many happy years of vinyl bliss with it and the Dynavector 10X2....

Apr 21, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #1,671 of 5,383
Quote:
I had a CJ55 for many years. Great Table. It finally died (Motor went out) and I got rid of it. I had many happy years of vinyl bliss with it and the Dynavector 10X2....

Oh NOOOO 
size]
- getting rid of that thing was not a clever thing to do !  I guess a replacement motor, a synchronous unit with the same number of poles as used originally , sourced say from Thorens or Linn or Poject plus some DIY would bring it back. Than that motor can be used with a good power supply, say Project Speed Box SE, taking it to another level. The use of the printed circuit board material ( that brown(ish) stuff ) for the platter is to my knowledge still unique. Nothing else that can compare was ever available.

This table is briliant design - in spite or because of its looks. Absolutely no metallic resonances that pleague Thorens, Linn etc ( its unique subchassis is couple of wood pieces screwed together - light, rigid, non resonant ) - being "basic and primitive" in the eyes of the usual bling blinded audiophile - this ugly duckling, coupled with a great arm and cart, turns into sonically beautiful swan.

Just found there were 3 models - CJ 55, CJ 58, and super rare CJ 61 - here on YT vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maMA3qi13_g

Note the precision of the platter - no "motion" visible.

Apr 21, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #1,672 of 5,383
Quote:
Quote:

Oh NOOOO 
size]
- getting rid of that thing was not a clever thing to do !  I guess a replacement motor, a synchronous unit with the same number of poles as used originally , sourced say from Thorens or Linn or Poject plus some DIY would bring it back. Than that motor can be used with a good power supply, say Project Speed Box SE, taking it to another level. The use of the printed circuit board material ( that brown(ish) stuff ) for the platter is to my knowledge still unique. Nothing else that can compare was ever available.

This table is briliant design - in spite or because of its looks. Absolutely no metallic resonances that pleague Thorens, Linn etc ( its unique subchassis is couple of wood pieces screwed together - light, rigid, non resonant ) - being "basic and primitive" in the eyes of the usual bling blinded audiophile - this ugly duckling, coupled with a great arm and cart, turns into sonically beautiful swan.

Just found there were 3 models - CJ 55, CJ 58, and super rare CJ 61 - here on YT vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maMA3qi13_g

Note the precision of the platter - no "motion" visible.

I do regret that I gave it up. Funny thing about this hobby, you go through different era's....(I have been at this for nearly 40 years!) I have a lead on a nice used TT. We'll see if it works out and I'll post some pics. I have 400+ albums waiting for a new friend to play with! All YSL sleeved and Lasted waiting to come out and play....

Apr 21, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #1,673 of 5,383
Quote:
I do regret that I gave it up. Funny thing about this hobby, you go through different era's....(I have been at this for nearly 40 years!) I have a lead on a nice used TT. We'll see if it works out and I'll post some pics. I have 400+ albums waiting for a new friend to play with! All YSL sleeved and Lasted waiting to come out and play....

No idea of your budget for your new "vinyl grinder" - but here one that only very rarely makes an appearence on epray: http://www.ebay.de/itm/290898879504?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Couple that with http://www.ebay.de/itm/300891151434?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 and you have a problem - necessity to make a straight damping trough. Together, they should really be yummi ...

Apr 21, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #1,674 of 5,383
Quote:
Quote:

No idea of your budget for your new "vinyl grinder" - but here one that only very rarely makes an appearence on epray: http://www.ebay.de/itm/290898879504?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Couple that with http://www.ebay.de/itm/300891151434?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 and you have a problem - necessity to make a straight damping trough. Together, they should really be yummi ...

That would be a fun project. A bit more DIY for me at the moment. Thanks for the lead though....We'll see if I can win the bid on my current attempt. It is more to what I am looking for atm. 

Apr 21, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #1,675 of 5,383
Quote:

That would be a fun project. A bit more DIY for me at the moment. Thanks for the lead though....We'll see if I can win the bid on my current attempt. It is more to what I am looking for atm. 

Well, thought a good solid non spriiing....y turntable and air bearing arm would go nicely together. When you look at the same/similar/comparable new prices - brrrr...

Hope you get yours - any hint what broadly you have on mind ? 400 LASTed LP waiting for action deserve something quite nice.

Apr 21, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #1,676 of 5,383
Quote:
Quote:

Well, thought a good solid non spriiing....y turntable and air bearing arm would go nicely together. When you look at the same/similar/comparable new prices - brrrr...

Hope you get yours - any hint what broadly you have on mind ? 400 LASTed LP waiting for action deserve something quite nice.

Looking at something with a nice combo of quality parts. Nothing like a VPI classic or SOTA (That would be nice!) but it will be a good starting point for getting back into vinyl....Then there is the phono stage to consider....Gotta be careful! It can add up quickly....

Apr 21, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #1,678 of 5,383
Can't imagine why I would add a ZP3?...
biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #1,680 of 5,383
I can't recommend the Spin Clean, or any record cleaner enough.  I have been purchasing albums for $.50 to $2 and after cleaning them, they sound great.  I enjoy going through the racks.  Picked up Abraxis by Santana, Carol King Tapestry, and Blood Sweat and Tears first album, John Barleycorn by Traffic etc etc etc.  I have resonance problems, tapping on my shelf, TT deck, and record all come through the speakers.  I don't know what to do short of buying a new TT.  Also, my phono stage picks up hum depending on where I place it.  If I move it near my amp it gets louder.  All my equip is tube from the TT.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back