Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Apr 11, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #1,547 of 5,380
Thanks MrQ, and not a TV in sight!

L3000.gif

Apr 11, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #1,548 of 5,380
Quote:
Thanks guys!

Here are a couple of more shots of the furniture.

It's good to see some furniture lovers on this forum!

The tables are by Alfons Bach, (mid 1940's)

I can imagine freestyle jazz playing on the record player just looking at that room.

Apr 11, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #1,551 of 5,380
Quote:
Good morning guys, sorry for derailing this thread.

I'll post a couple of photos then we can get back on track.

Hi analogsurviver, I use Maxell XL II-S tape, and yes it is an accent supply from many moons ago.

I see them offered on amazon and ebay, they shouldn't be too hard to find.

The Jazz Record Mart in Chicago has a vast selection of pre-recorded blues tapes that I have been collecting for many years now.

Some of the recordings are quite outstanding!

That is what I mainly play on the Nakamichi's.

The pre-amp is a Kenwood KA-907.

I haven't recorded much lately, but when I do it's usually vinyl to tape or vinyl to reel-to-reel.

Now, back on track!

Thank you for the answer. 

Should you EVER get a chance to try Sony Super Metal Master cassette - do yourself a favour. It is insane how much better than anything else it is/was. Nakas get very good results with II ( chrome ) tapes - but real party is IV ( metal ). Punishing price back in the day, even more so in present time - but a comparison everyone will understand - using a high quality cassette deck with II tapes is the same as feeding a supercar with normal ocatane gasoline. No idea how "clever" your Nakas are regarding tape calibration etc - even if it means manual adjustment, still worth it. Sony SMM was simply the closest approximation to the perfect tape - it takes outrageously high signal levels, has extremely low amplitude modulation, etc, etc - which all translates into sound so good very few have ever had the pleasure of hearing. Master recordings from the mic will leave all but direct to disc vinyl in dust.

Apr 11, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #1,552 of 5,380
Yes, I have heard of Sony Super Metal Master cassettes.

Every once in awhile I check ebay but the prices are crazy (95.00)!

I might just have to get one to say that I have one.

They sure look purty!

Apr 11, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #1,553 of 5,380
Quote:
Yes, I have heard of Sony Super Metal Master cassettes.

Every once in awhile I check ebay but the prices are crazy (95.00)!

I might just have to get one to say that I have one.

They sure look purty!

Well, TDK MA-XG looks only a hair less sexy ( no metal outer protective shell, extremely comparable ceramic cassette itself - these babies are HEAVY ) - yet in my experience, Sony SMM mops the floor with anything else, amplitude variation was considerably worse on TDK MA-XG. Sony SMM sounds "next to nothing".

I have one C-90 only, had a chance to get 8 more, but at the approx EUR 100 a pop reluctantly had to decide to pass. A fair warning - if you get that "one" - it might prove to be habit forming ...to put in perspective - doubt there is or ever will be a phono cartridge so superiour to its peers as it is Sony SMM cassette tape.

Apr 11, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #1,554 of 5,380
Great set-up crazyRay, don't really get the cassette thing except the coolness of the Nak decks. But again, beautiful set up and makes me realize maybe I need to spend less on my gear and little more on what I am sitting on or in. 

Apr 11, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #1,555 of 5,380
Ray if I bring some tapes and LPs and a six pack, can I come over? I just want to be photographed in that room, to prove I was there. It's got to be the coolest I've ever seen pics of.

Apr 11, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #1,557 of 5,380
Awesome, we'll have to set that up :wink:

Apr 11, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #1,558 of 5,380
Quote:
Great set-up crazyRay, don't really get the cassette thing except the coolness of the Nak decks. But again, beautiful set up and makes me realize maybe I need to spend less on my gear and little more on what I am sitting on or in. 

A tough one to swallow - but analog cassette at its best is anything but low cost car thingie of the past. A "typical high end cassette deck" will outperform a "typical high end turntable/record player" - and the thing that is Aichile's heel of record player combinations is called speed stability. In real world, with real vinyl, very few record players can meet, let alone exceed the performance of good cassette decks as far as speed stability is concerned. 

Definitely agree with your second sentence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back